Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores E40=15

Options
  • 19-01-2010 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Returned an unwanted Christmas gift today, without receipt but with Dunnes Tag and barcode. It was purchased for 40 Euro but it has been reduced to 15 Euro in the sales. I was only offered credit for 15 Euro....probably not illegal but feels wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

No it is not illegal and what happened is pretty standard in many places.

If you do not have a receipt for the item lots of shops like Dunnes and Marks will only refund the price that the item is selling for today, not the price when it was bought.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its totally fair. Otherwise I could trot into Dunnes, buy all their reduced stock, sling the reciepts and ask to be refunded at original price.

If you havent already returned it, ask the giver if they still have the receipt. Some organised people keep their xmas purchase receipts. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oryx wrote: »
    If you havent already returned it, ask the giver if they still have the receipt. Some organised people keep their xmas purchase receipts. :)

This would be worth a try alright

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dunnes Stores are perfectly entitled to do this. If you had proof of purchase, then you would have been refunded the price on the receipt.

Without a receipt, all they can do is refund the current price of the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

dudara wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores are perfectly entitled to do this. If you had proof of purchase, then you would have been refunded the price on the receipt.

Without a receipt, all they can do is refund the current price of the item.

As long as it is returned within a month of purchase. Some stores do an extended returns period for Christmas presents such as 21st of Jan 2010.

But you still have to have a valid receipt, also if the product was bought using a card you don't have access to a refund won't be made but you will be able to swap it for something in store for the original price paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Filan wrote: »
    Returned an unwanted Christmas gift today, without receipt but with Dunnes Tag and barcode. It was purchased for 40 Euro but it has been reduced to 15 Euro in the sales. I was only offered credit for 15 Euro....probably not illegal but feels wrong!

Do you know what really upsets me! - they are still making profit @ €15, well maybe not profit (when handling costs etc are taken into account) but they certainly are not loosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You are not entitled to a refund of the original price even with a receipt only if the goods are faulty, unwanted gift they are not obliged even to refund anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

+1 to agent 99, you are lucky Dunnes will take it back at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

€15 more than they need to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 davido

Do you know what really upsets me! - they are still making profit @ €15, well maybe not profit (when handling costs etc are taken into account) but they certainly are not loosing.

It is entirely possible that Dunnes are making a loss here. It depends on the product but Dunnes would prefer to sell it at a loss or not sell it at all if Tesco and others are selling it cheaper. It is also possible that the supplier has reduced their price to Dunnes during a sale period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

At the end of the day, you didn't actually buy the product yourself and it's not faultly, so Dunnes are not obliged to take it back while I can see your fustration at not getting the value on the tag remember Dunnes are doing you the favor by allowing you exchange it.

What you could try is waiting until the sale is over and then bringing it back hoping that the selling price has gone back up, the price may be reduced further just to shift it if it's an end of line product.

Either way, you got a christmas present be happy.

Advertisement