Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Broadband

• 19-01-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I'm hoping the mods don't move this thread over to the broadband section, because I'd like to know from people in Wicklow if they have broadband.
    From what I gather only ADSL is mostly available and that's at 3MB.
    Is anyone getting 7MB off their ADSL and if so, where and with which provider?
    I'll be in Blainroe in a few weeks.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

3 meg with Eircom in Rathnew. Rarely get speeds up to 3 meg though. More like 2meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I have 7 meg broadband from eircom, no problem at all been using them for 7 years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

maco wrote: »
    I have 7 meg broadband from eircom, no problem at all been using them for 7 years already.

Where abouts in Wicklow are you Maco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

3 meg with Eircom in Brittas Bay but similar to Batesy, it's nearer 2 meg in reality.

I think I will go with the Three 7meg dongle. I imagine that would give the most regular speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

well before getting any of the "broadband" dongles from the mobile operators I would check that there is coverage in Blainroe.

The cells have a relatively limited range so unless there is a broadband enabled cell in Blainroe you may/may not get the 3g signal from wicklow town.

Having said that you can just return the product if your not happy!

Someone in the same estate is using a dongle with no problems, so that will be my first choice. If it doesn't work, return it I will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 neilm

I've 7 Meg ADSL from BT ( now Vodafone) in wicklow town, working fine, i nearly always get full speed from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kusadasiboris

you can get 10 MB clean speed from wicklow broadband. bundles 3mb.5.mb.7 mb and 10 mb nice one for county wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Nice prices too!!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Can you get UPC around wicklow town?

Jaafa wrote: »
    Can you get UPC around wicklow town?

No
    you can not get upc broadband in Co.wicklow yet suppose to be come to greystones not I didnt hear more about it. wont be avaible in most countys yet becuse of undergraund work .they need install fibre optic cables for such high bird fibre connection .with ordinary dsl cables you can get maximum 15 mb connection and eircom or vodafone wont give no body just 15 mb connection speed you have to upgrade ur speed 24mb so thats how u will get up to 12 13 14 mb if you get 13 MBps speed you are very lucky ! so sortly there is no upc connection in least next 3 btwn 5 years around wicklow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'm in Rathnew/Wicklow and get about 22Mbs off my 24Mbs Eircom connection. Rarely drops below 16Mbs. It all depends on which exchange you are on and how long your line is.

Wicklow Broadband got some bad reports on the broadband forum - I tried to contact them when my Breeze connection died, but never heard back and from what others have said there I am glad I didn't pursue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Viale Volta

Auscast wrote: »
    I think I will go with the Three 7meg dongle. I imagine that would give the most regular speed.

Hey Auscast. How did you get on with the Three dongle in Blainroe? How is the connection and the speed? Would you recommend it? I'm looking to set up a connection in the area and would prefer to avoid the land-line route.

Cheers.

Hey Auscast. How did you get on with the Three dongle in Blainroe? How is the connection and the speed? Would you recommend it? I'm looking to set up a connection in the area and would prefer to avoid the land-line route.

Cheers.

It served it's purpose well enough. Speed was constant but a little slow, the connection was great. Being one out of less than ten using the network in the area probably helped. :)
    I'm now living in Pebble Bay Wicklow town and have DSL that sits around 6-8 meg, IIRC I got around 4+ meg on the dongle which wasn't bad.

I'd try ringing a few DSL providers and see what speed they can offer. Digiweb turned out to be the best for me (for in Wicklow), and they could check to see who they served in the area and what speed they were getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

No
    you can not get upc broadband in Co.wicklow yet suppose to be come to greystones not I didnt hear more about it.

UPC is pretty widespread in Bray

Auscast wrote: »
    It served it's purpose well enough. Speed was constant but a little slow, the connection was great. Being one out of less than ten using the network in the area probably helped. :)
    I'm now living in Pebble Bay Wicklow town and have DSL that sits around 6-8 meg, IIRC I got around 4+ meg on the dongle which wasn't bad.

I'd try ringing a few DSL providers and see what speed they can offer. Digiweb turned out to be the best for me (for in Wicklow), and they could check to see who they served in the area and what speed they were getting.

Thanks for the advice Auscast, very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

An old thread I know...

But just for info, Eircom 5.5MB consistently on landline, northern end of Greystones.

2 laptops running most evenings on LAN, never drops connection or speed.

Just to update anyone who is living or moving to the Blainroe area of Wicklow. It's very much a lottery when it comes to the internet dongle in terms of coverage. I went with Meteor on a 30 day trial basis and ended up returning the device due to poor signal. Perhaps other networks provide better coverage, but I very much doubt anyone is graced with 3G speeds in the area.

UPC don't offer their services that far south and Vodafone wouldn't help us out either, so we reluctantly called upon the Eircom. We signed up for the regular broadband and phone package which offered "Up to 8Mb uncongested broadband speeds". In reality we were barely touching 3MB and there seemed to be a lot of down time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cthulu

I've just moved into a house between Rathnew and Wicklow town. The Vodafone guy I dealt with found houses in the area with 15Mb broadband but when Eircom finally connected us up it was only 1Mb. Is this because we were connected to the "wrong" exchange? Can we get connected to a different exchange?

Is there anyone else in the Burkeen, Saunder's Lane area with reasonable connection speeds using Eircom or Vodafone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Just saw the name of the thread so I thought I'd post. I moved to Wicklow broadband in November and I think it's fantastic. 8meg for €40 per month.

The main problem I had with eircom was that I was paying €65 per month for 8meg and only getting 3 or 4 late at night.

I'm getting a constant 7meg and 8.4 in the evening.

I live in blessington.

hi guyz. yeah I got that package as well I use to have W/Broadband few years ago, but was using Vodafone broadband band the only Reason I move back to Wicklow broadband is upload speed! only ISP in area can give you the best upload speed.

Happy enough will stick with them till fibre arrives to Wicklow town and villages around in future sometime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cthulu

Eircom were so unhelpful. I now think that by connecting me to the exchange closer to the house (to which others in the estate are connected) will give me a decent broadband service. When I asked the eircom rep if they could look into changing it they said no. I even said that if they cannot offer me better than 1Mb broadband that I will go with a satellite provider. Still no. Very disappointing but it seems typical of what others have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Just saw the name of the thread so I thought I'd post. I moved to Wicklow broadband in November and I think it's fantastic. 8meg for €40 per month.

The main problem I had with eircom was that I was paying €65 per month for 8meg and only getting 3 or 4 late at night.

I'm getting a constant 7meg and 8.4 in the evening.

I live in blessington.

I used to have Leinster broadband which were a disaster,very inconsistant. No one to contact when it broke down etc . i then changed to Tooway Satellite ,which give an excellent service with a constant 8mgs download.,however there is a problem with limited data usage per month, which is 8 gigs - not enough with Sky Demand etc
    I am now thinking of changing back to Wicklow broadband -am a bit worried about contention rate and 7 mgs consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

Check out link below, it tells you what speed you are really receiving as opposed to what your provider is telling you.

http://home.mcafee.com/speedometer/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Prometheus wrote: »
    Check out link below, it tells you what speed you are really receiving as opposed to what your provider is telling you.

http://home.mcafee.com/speedometer/default.aspx

I am really looking for someone to give me their opinion of Wicklow BB as to their reliability and service, do they give what they say, is their 7 mgs consistent? Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

I am really looking for someone to give me their opinion of Wicklow BB as to their reliability and service, do they give what they say, is their 7 mgs consistent? Etc
    I did that speed test and got over 2mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Garball

I have the 8mb package and find it very reliable. The odd time it has dropped below 2mb but not for long. Upload speed is always around 1.5mb. The unlimited data is great also. I was with o2 before and the 15 gig data allowance was a constant pain and very hard to stay under. Installation for wicklow broadband was quick and hassle free. They came to the house and done speed tests before installing the dish to make sure you can receive what your paying for and only took an hour before everything was up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

I have the 7mb package, unlimited download

2642674041.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I have the 12meg package (89.99 p/m) in an area where nobody else (Eircom, 3, WiMax, DigiWeb, nobody) could provide anything other than bare-bones 1meg or even less. Seriously.

Got the Wicklow Broadband in about 4/5 months ago. It's a revelation. Unbelievable. Speed totally consistent. Once or twice, at like 3am, it's gone down completely due to them performing maintenance, but in fairness, I should be in bed at 3am.

The installation took less than an hour and it is reliable and quick. I couldn't recommend Wicklow Broadband enough. Might be a bit more expensive (especially for the package I have) but they have cheaper packages and their service is impeccable.

Advertisement