Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil on Cat Fur

Options
  • 19-01-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Somehow my cat has managed to get some sort of smelly oil on his fur. I've tried wiping it off with baby wipes, but that obviously enough hasn't done anything. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and throwing him in the bath and lathering the affected area with dog shampoo. He's only had a bath once in his life (and he HATED it), so I don't want to have to do that unless I really have to.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Put a small amount of talc or flour on it and brush it through. The talc/flour will soak up the oil.
    I'm not sure if you can get dry shampoo for cats but that would also do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you can get him washed either fairy liquid or Swarfeaga (sp?) gel will get the oil off but obviously rinse and dry very well afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 for quick wash with washing up liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Whatever you use to get the oil out, make sure you wash it out carefully afterwards and rinse it off, because your cat will *thoroughly* clean himself to get rid of the alien scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fill two buckets with warm water.. Bring cat into bathroom / other tiled area with the buckets. Position your cat firmly on a folded towel. Using a soft sponge, gently sponge the area with some warm water. Add some mild soap to the sponge (preferably pet shampoo). Work up a later. Work the lather through the coat with the sponge. Rinse the sponge thoroughly in one of the buckets. The dip into the other, sud-free bucket and use to repeatedly rinse the cat's coat until the traces of detergent are gone.

They take to this a lot better than to running water or to baths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement