Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband provider Ashbourne area??

• 19-01-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for advise on changing providers. I was with BT until recently switching over to Vodafone (not by choice). Since the switch and more so recently my connection in the evenings can be compared to dial up.

Any suggestions on who to switch to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

divine jebus, why did they take it over if they cant handle it. Im in ashbourne and have exact same problem, I had to log on to a video conference last night, had to make my apologies and log off as it was unworkable.

speedtest.ie showed a connection download as low as 330kbps!!!!! On BT I cant ever remember a download speed less then 1.2 mb. At any time of day.

So I rang this morning, 25 minutes holding, got through, started to talk about my issue when they hung up on me. !! So I rang back, this time 32 minutes. (BTs call buster system was great), guess what 2 sentences in, guy says hold on, sounds like a pc issue, I'll put you on hold. and then he hung up on me!!! (that how I know they did it the first time)

So I got on to them again through customer service, first thing I asked for was the guys first and second name and made him promie to ring me back on my O2 mobile ;) if we got "accidentally" disconnected , which funnily enough we didnt.

I told him Im an IT admin of 15 years (not a lie) and to not talk til I was finished.

I have a 3mb line. My routers admin dhcp table shows only my laptop connected. All related cables are plugged in, have been reseated and equipment powered on and off.
    No firewalls, hardware or software are on.
    I have ethereal (network traffic sniffer) and it shows no traffic. Ok, lets go to www.speedtest.ie a reliable and standard ISP speed test.
    This morning it was 1.2mb, last night it was 320kbps. that is not enough to buffer a 521kbps video stream and I was unable to stream something last night that I needed to. The lowest I can ever remember with BT is 850kbps. The speed problems are chronic in the evenings and have been since the day you took over. I never had streaming issues with BT. Not once. Now, I have an O2 3g card, I was able to get what I wanted on the same laptop with that card so that means its not my laptop, this is not an isolated incident, in fact once 6pm comes around, the same thing happens every night. Can you tell me whats happening?

Response: ehhhhh, it might be your router, noone else has complained.

Noone else huh? well thats just a lie because theres lot of complaints on your own support forum here.
    http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/forum/9-vodafone-at-home/
    which I cant log into by the way because it asked me to sign in with a vodafone mobile phone number which I dont have. Do home BB users not have a voice in vodafone?

Response: well Im not responsable for the site logins youll ahve to log a seperate call on that. You know it really sounds like it might be the config on your router.

Ok, but the same config gets me 1.2mb in the morning time so can you explain what config changes someone could make that would affect its performance depending on the time of the day?

Response: ehhhh I dont know,

I hung up. Done with them. I need broadband. Not idiots with a crap service. Im ringin all the ISPs today to see what the options are, I'll post back later.

Advertisement