Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torchwood: Miami

Options
  • 19-01-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

('cos they already have the giant SUV)

http://io9.com/5451815/torchwood-may-be-coming-to-america
    Looks like Russell T Davies' move to the States is starting to pay off already; Davies and former Doctor Who producer Julie Gardner are working with Fox to bring Torchwood to US television.

The Hollywood Reporter's The Live Feed blog reports that Fox is developing an American version of the series with BBC Worldwide, with show creator Davies not only co-executive producing with Gardner and BBC Worldwide boss Jane Tranter, but also writing the pilot script. The blog also teases the possibility that characters from the original series such as Captain Jack Harkness could cross over into this new version should it get picked up. Color us intrigued - and, considering Fox's track record, maybe a little nervous, as well.

Set up during the British Colonies no doubt.

I give it an episode and a half, if it gets that far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hmmmmm my imediate reaction is "please god no" but who knows, for me it's the "BBC style" that makes programs like Dr. Who\Torchwood work but maybe the Americans could do something interesting with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Emmm...

Not quite sure about this. I predict it to flop spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Well its been made by fox and ive seen several comments that they will downplay or just not feature Jacks sexuality because well its fox...

i don t think a US version would work but im still new to the Doctorr who universe so i cant really comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Fox is developing an American version of the British hit series Torchwood, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
    Original series creator Russell Davies is writing the script for the adaptation, which comes from BBC Worldwide Productions, the trade paper reported.
    Torchwood follows a covert agency that investigates alien incidents on Earth and steals alien technology for its own use. The series — a spin-off of BBC's Doctor Who — originally aired stateside on BBC America along with the Torchwood miniseries "Children of Earth," which broke ratings records for the network.

Besides Davies, the U.S. version of the show has recruited the help of BBC veterans Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter, the trade paper said. The man behind Capt. Jack Harkness, John Barrowman, may even star in the U.S. pilot. Unlike the original series, however, the new Torchwood will focus on a more global story line

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, it *might* be good.... I remember the american attempt at a Doctor Who series (pilot only iirc). It was terrible (except the opening scene when the doctor was forced to regenerate.. I hated sylvester mccoy as the doctor). But, with RTD writing maybe it will keep the same flavour and just have a bigger budget to play with. I like the idea of it being more globally focused rather than everything finding its way to Wales :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I dunno, on the one hand the Americans ahve an atrocious track record of remaking British TV

Red Dwarf & Coupling Spring to mind as being Truly Awful

but then
    Life on Mars
    and
    the office

were very very good in their own way

so I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

ah no....... i recall Barry Letts vision of the Movie.... first part grand (till he wakes up in the mortuary) after that..... all downhill...........

but, then again, RTD is a clever sod, and Torchwood could wel have been made with this development in mind.

Anyway, its coming back to the beeb this year in full glory. I think that it is a show that has actually shown up the "sci fi" limitations of RTD more than Who ever could and despite his love of Buffy this has Angel written all over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Hmm it is a big jump from BBC America to Fox.. be interesting to see what time slot that put it in.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for this with Fox involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Update on this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8637901.stm
    Plan to make a US version of the Doctor who spin-off Torchwood have been put on ice after TV network Fox pulled out.

In a statement, BBC Worldwide said both companies had "mutually agreed not to progress together with a 13-episode serialized Torchwood format".

However, the BBC said discussions with other networks were continuing and plans to get the show made for US audiences were still in the pipeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

hopefully this means series four will get the green light in the UK

Advertisement