Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains back on but I've no water in toilet cistern,shower,bathroom

• 19-01-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

I've no idea why I've no water?
    The mains have been turned back on.

I've checked that there's water in the water tank in the attic and it's full, ballcock working fine.
    Cold water in kitchen completely fine now - just cold water - there's still no hot water.
    No water at all in bathroom taps (bath and sink) and no water in the electric shower.

I've a combi boiler and low water pressure but that doesn't explain the lack of water in the toilet cistern??

I've rang my dad and he doesn't know - so anyone any idea what I could do to get the water back working?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Air locks most likely.

Do you have any mixer taps? These are taps that the hot and cold comes out one channel. eg: a baths taps

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AMS2010

Sounds like the same problem I had... turned out to be an airlock. There's a really good thread in here somewhere about how to fix all those kind of problems.
    Just search this site for 'airlocks' and you should be fine.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks Davy and ams2010 for replies. I've read around this section and the information is amazing.

I was about to try blocking my cold tap to try get rid of the airlock but I don't think I have an airlock because there's nothing happening at all - no spluttering or any sound of air.
    Plus the cold tap has now stopped working and there's a trickle from the hot tap which is actually hot - so I think it's really bad water pressure.

I think (HOPE) it's the council again playing with the water supply again.

Could I suggest to the moderators that there's a seperate PLUMBING section like there's a separate Electrical section?

There's so much good plumbing info in this forum mixed in with lots of random DIY info.
    Just a thought that it would be better off in a forum all of it's own.

Thanks again and I'll be back on here reading all the info if it does turn out to be an airlock.

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I was about to try blocking my cold tap to try get rid of the airlock but I don't think I have an airlock because there's nothing happening at all - no spluttering or any sound of air.

You wouldn't often have sound or sputtering with airlocks. You will get that when you are clearing them alright.

Plus the cold tap has now stopped working and there's a trickle from the hot tap which is actually hot - so I think it's really bad water pressure.

Cold at the kitchen sink would suggest the council reducing the pressure alright, but you should have cold and hot everywhere as you have a full water storage tank, but you dont because of the airlocks ;)

the water pressure in this house is really bad at best - so if they've reduced the water pressure even further that might explain why I can't get anything at all up stairs but am getting (was getting) water from downstairs cold tap?

but it's all off now so it's next to useless trying to work anything out.

Just had a burger and chips so there's no washing up!
    No water has some advantages :o)
    I'll be obese in a few days if they don't hurry up fixing the pipes.

• Advertisement

Just had a burger and chips so there's no washing up!
    No water has some advantages :o)

Least your looking on the bright side of things.

Mains feed the kitchen cold tap and the storage tank in the attic.
    Everywhere else is fed from the storage tank.

Even if the mains is off, you can still check and correct air locks. You will have to do it at some stage or pay €80 for a plumber to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

I have the exact same problem. Ballycullen road. The water pump wasn't making it's usual noise, so I flicked the mains power off and on. The pump started working briefly, and the hot taps worked briefly for a short time, but it's all back to the way it was now. Measly pressure in the kitchen, and zilch in any of the bathrooms, hot or cold.

Thanks Davy I didn't know what water came from where.
    So Mains feeds tank and cold tap and everything else feeds from tank.

Terrible I know that I own a house and don't know these things.
    so does the toilet cistern get it's water from the storage tank as well?

Would low pressure explain then why it's slow flushing away - as though it's blocked?

kev23f wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. Ballycullen road. The water pump wasn't making it's usual noise, so I flicked the mains power off and on. The pump started working briefly, and the hot taps worked briefly for a short time, but it's all back to the way it was now. Measly pressure in the kitchen, and zilch in any of the bathrooms, hot or cold.

Where's Ballycullen road - don't thin that's in Drimnagh where I am.

i just looked at http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd9ddms_0dp4ts8g9 the council website and they've said severe low water pressure in my area.
    They didn't have that on the website when I left work at 5.30pm!

Ballycullen rd, or the bit where I am at least, is firhouse, kind of. South Dublin county council. I'm about to venture into my attic to see if the tank filled. If not I guess I have an airlock?
    This is only day 2 of this hassle so I guess it could be worse.

• Advertisement

cold water back on - no water anywhere else.
    Tried the air unblocking trick of blocking water running out of cold tap in the hope that it would break the airlock and start running through hot tap - didn't work.
    going to read through other airlock tips right after I've boiled the kettle, gone up to stand in the bath and mix hot water and the jug of cold water for my 'shower'! 4th morning in a row.
    fun.

i got a plumber in this morning to look at my set up. I had an airlock, which he fixed by emptying a couple of pipes into a basin, twiddled with various knobs in a complicated looking order, and then he switched the mains power off and on again. Problem was that the attic tank couldnt refill due to the airlock, even when the water mains were on, and also the water pump had switched itself off due to lack of pressure.
    All sorted now thankfully, best of luck with yours.

Advertisement