Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recharging a li ion battery

• 19-01-2010 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

How low should one let a li ion battery go in a laptop before recharging. I have seen 50% on one site. Any advice on this is welcome as there seem to be differing views. Some say let is discharge completely before recharging.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I let it drain completely occasionally.
    Some info here www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

You must be psychic i was on that page and going to link it here.;)

I always thought the reason i ruined my last battery was because i would leave it in laptop when on power or change to power shortly after booting. Apparently it is the heat that cause the most problem. i will be removing the new one when on power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

iamskippy wrote: »
    How low should one let a li ion battery go in a laptop before recharging. I have seen 50% on one site. Any advice on this is welcome as there seem to be differing views. Some say let is discharge completely before recharging.

Thanks

Only let it drain as much as necessary (ie for as long as you need to use the laptop unplugged). As soon as a mains socket is available, use that. No sense using the battery if you are sitting beside a mains socket.

The reason for this is that the primary factor that degrades lithium-ion batteries is use. Just normal charge/discharge cycles - every time you recharge it the battery loses a little capacity, and a full recharge (from empty) is twice as damaging as half a recharge.

You should give it a full discharge every now and then (if you're not doing it normally) to calibrate the battery meter.
    Apparently it is the heat that cause the most problem.
    Heat is a secondary factor (and there are others - age etc) but charge cycles is the main cause of capacity loss.

Advertisement