Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In seek of an adventure

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all

Ive recently returned to Ireland from UK and have decided that the job market here is literally a waste of time so I'm thinking of heading to Oz. Im 25 so I think its my time to head off somewhere anyway. I have a Masters degree and worked in IT in London for 2 years. Prince 2 practioner aswell. Not a techie though so wouldn't mind settling into something else eventually.

I'm torn between the idea of heading to the east coast of Oz and looking for a 'proper' job and heading off to the West Coast and looking for a labouring job. I have some debts that I need to pay off so cant afford to be sitting on my hands for too long either way. I worked all my summers as a student in construction and was pretty handy at roofing etc. I dont mind hard work as long as the pay would be decent. Looks like I'm heading off alone too. Know people in a few of the Oz cities but wouldn't mind making my own track either.

Any advice, pointers etc greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I’d just like to give a word of caution. If you have debts that need to be paid off it might not be the best idea to spend so much money to come over here looking for a job you might not get.

The cost of the visa and a flight over here alone will set you back a fair bit plus then you will have to pay for accommodation, food and transport. It may be some time before you find a job so if you don’t have the money to cover these expenses it might not be the best move for you at the moment.

There are jobs here but people don’t just walk up to you and give them to you so they take time to find. If you run out of money because you couldn’t find one soon enough and got loans out to cover the cost of coming over you may end up back home and be in a far worse situation then you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

You sound in quite a similar position to me (Prince 2, working in IT) and I relocated to Wellington about 7 months ago. The job market isn't too bad here, but obviously not too hot either. I got a job after 3 weeks looking, however only got called for 2 interviews. Since then I've had 3 interviews by contacting companies directly. Because it's the capital city, it's never going to be too bad here.

Prince 2 is not a major advantage here, although some companies do like it. As it's a government city, they do like a high level of process experience, and ITIL seems to be the thing to be in.

Auckland likely has a better IT market, although I imagine it could be more ropey with the climate and more competitive in the marketplace too. Outside of Auckland and Wellington in NZ, you'd be hard pushed for IT.

Don't think there is a particularly strong trade market here, although I don't know a lot about it. There is a big train redev. going on, but it's been going a while.

Advertisement