Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chipper in Letterkenny

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

I was working in Letterkenny today and am far too tired to driver back to Dublin. I'm staying in Ramada Encore on Old Street. So what's the best chipper? I have a craving for fish and chips. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There's one just up the road, turn left out of the hotel door and its about 500yr on the same side, called Cod's Kitchen, never eat fish and chips so cant comment on how good it is. The one i would recommend (Charlies) closes at 6pm.
    If you want a great take-away, turn right out the hotels door and go over to the Tin Tia, great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

without a shawdow of a doubt, mr chippie accross from the bus station

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah Mr.Chippie is probably the best around, quite a long walk from the Ramada though. Cod's Kitchen is just down the road to the left and as mentioned Tin Tai which is a Chinese place to your right.

Plenty others around if you want to take a stroll up the main street again to your right from the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mr Chippie would get my vote also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

mr chippie indeed!

and i love that hotel. i stayed there when i was apartment hunting for college.

enjoy the breakfast! its gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Went to Mr.Chippie, was good :) Thanks lads.

I've stayed in this hotel a few times, I always ask for a room on the corner above the door, huge big window with a nice enough view.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Mr Chippie and Charlies is the best , would strongly advise not going to Cods Kitchen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Have to agree with Mr.Chippie but no one has mentioned "Chipz 2 Go"! Its out of town but they do deliver and my god the food is good. It would give Mr Chippie a good run for its money.

would strongly advise not going to Cods Kitchen :(

Just remembering, did someone tell me its closed down?
    Have to agree with Mr.Chippie but no one has mentioned "Chipz 2 Go"! Its out of town but they do deliver and my god the food is good. It would give Mr Chippie a good run for its money.

Forgot about "chipz 2 go", used to get them regularly when i live up mountain top.
    **Drooling** Cheesy bacon chips **Drooling**

Where is it exactly? Cant say Ive heard of it..

• Advertisement

Up at very top of Glencar, behind the filling station and pub (which i forget the name of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

the Glencar Inn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Mr Chippy every time. I think they use good old fashioned dripping to fry with :p When we get the craving for fish and chips to go, we drive there from Lifford :eek: There's nothing worse than the battered cardboard that so often masquerades as fish in many take-aways!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Snub wrote: »
    Just remembering, did someone tell me its closed down?

Forgot about "chipz 2 go", used to get them regularly when i live up mountain top.
    **Drooling** Cheesy bacon chips **Drooling**

Hope it isn't closed. Loved the ould chips on newspaper thing.

Very good chips in the hotel you are staying in though, OP! Something to think about for lunch OP, if still about. They do fresh chips, an oddity these days.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

the Glencar Inn :)

Further up Glencar than that:D
    Ard Na Ri, thats the name.

K-9 wrote: »
    Hope it isn't closed. Loved the ould chips on newspaper thing.

But they use Lard for all their cooking, my month felt like i swallowed a sock after eating there.

But they use Lard for all their cooking, my month felt like i swallowed a sock after eating there.

True, I thought it was ok, a bit like Mr. Chippy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Up at very top of Glencar, behind the filling station and pub (which i forget the name of)

Senna,is that you? :confused:

Used to work in Mr.Chippie,its a good sign that you eat in your place of work:D

Was by Cods kitchen the other day,tis stil open by the looks of it.

Used to work in Mr.Chippie,its a good sign that you eat in your place of work:D

Was by Cods kitchen the other day,tis stil open by the looks of it.

It is funny though that the OP discounted some of the best chips in Letterkenny, because it was a hotel.

I live in Glencar and I've nevber heard of the place lol, only here for college but even still, thought I was familiar with the surrounding area.

Theres another one up here as well, Friar's Rest which I tried once and it was pretty good

It is funny though that the OP discounted some of the best chips in Letterkenny, because it was a hotel.

Cant say I have ever ate in the Encore,must give it a go!

Chipz 2 Go is up on further thatn Glencar,up past the Grange,near Solomans. Its the complex with the Pub,Bookies and Petrol Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Cods Kitchen was closing down last week, they were removing the signage from it last Friday, very good food but very over priced.

Surprised no one has mentioned the burgers in Friar Tucks, best for miles around cooked on the hot plate not like Charlies were they deep fat fry them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I really fancied 'chipper' fish and chips from a bag, not a plate ;) and I didn't discount it, nobody suggested it
    Breakfast here wasn't bad, staff here are so nice though. I love the way the people of Donegal are so relaxed and laid back

<<lifts up fake mustache and glasses>>

It is I, Leclair Senna :D just fancied a change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Cod's Kitchen removed the seating area they used to have - just a takeaway now.

I agree its very good food, real heart cloggger I'd say but tastes great! :D
    Same goes for Mr Chippie.

When is that Taste place ever open , across the road from Medisize on the Mountain Top Rd? Also seems to be closed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

taste only opens from 5pm or 6pm til 10pm quailty food mmm home made chips and a 1/4 pounder please

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Harps wrote: »
    I live in Glencar and I've nevber heard of the place lol, only here for college but even still, thought I was familiar with the surrounding area.

Theres another one up here as well, Friar's Rest which I tried once and it was pretty good
    Yes, I prefer Friar's Rest over Mr. Chippie. Sometimes I miss Letterkenny :D

I was living in walking distance to Chips2Go, so visited it often enough, though still preferred Friar's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

salonfire wrote: »
    When is that Taste place ever open , across the road from Medisize on the Mountain Top Rd? Also seems to be closed? :confused:

I'm not sure about opening hours but we tried it once, not very nice at all! The Oak Tree (on Port Road, i think) does far better similar food and delivers too... their chips are amazing! massive hand cut wedges! nyum nyum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Chips 2 Go gets my vote! Lovely food every time in there!:) Friars is a hit and miss i think, use to go there for lunch when i was in school. Mr chippie is nice at the right time, lol. COds kitcen is good but as mentioned over priced! Charlies is good but i think the portions arent the greatest.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have to agree, the Oak Tree is great, though wouldn't have classified it as a "chipper".

Agree with Dish with relation to Charlie's. Lovely food, but plates aren't overflowing with artery clogging goodness! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jack30

Well my opinon i had takeaway in letterkenny last night out of place called <SNIP> o my god never had food like it in my life seems to be all fresh produce being used.Really quick service considering the food is cooked to order and really reasonable aswell for what i got.Got speaking to girl on fone she told me its proper chefs thats has it. So i called in to collect it, does anybody know the wee black haired boy real goodlooking that was behind counter :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement