Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a drawing desk into a computer desk

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey.
    I have a large drawing desk that I don't use much any more and was hoping to convert it into a desk for my computer.
    The surface of the desk has a 25 degree slant on it which I want to get rid of.
    I'm afraid to just cut the slant off to even it out myself with a hand saw because if any of the 3 slanted uprights aren't perfectly straight the top won't sit right on the desk again.

I attached a very rough mockup of the desk just so you get the general idea. All the parts are wooden.

Anyone have any advice for me?
    Should I bring the parts of the desk somewhere and have them cut? Will this be expensive?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

bryan06 wrote: »
    Hey.
    I have a large drawing desk that I don't use much any more and was hoping to convert it into a desk for my computer.
    The surface of the desk has a 25 degree slant on it which I want to get rid of.
    I'm afraid to just cut the slant off to even it out myself with a hand saw because if any of the 3 slanted uprights aren't perfectly straight the top won't sit right on the desk again.

I attached a very rough mockup of the desk just so you get the general idea. All the parts are wooden.

Anyone have any advice for me?
    Should I bring the parts of the desk somewhere and have them cut? Will this be expensive?

Thanks,
    Bryan

If you knew someone, or some where with a table saw that'd do it for you that'd be ideal! Assuming you can take the table apart and have 3 panels with nothing attached to them?. Failing that your next safest bet would be a circular saw with a straight edge clamped to the panel, that'd give you a good straight line and provided all three panels were mesured correctly would allow the top to sit across all three perfectly (depends on how thick the panls are, but it might be possible to clamp the three together and cut them in one go - just score the cutting line to minimize any break out on the uppermost surface).

Jigsaw, I wouldnt chance it, I've never been able to use a jigsaw with a straight edge they always want to wander off, and free hand, even though it'd look straight, it wouldnt be. Then, we have the hand saw, a good sharp panel saw would do the job, but you'd want to be fairly accustomed to cutting straight lines and making sure the saw is at 90degrees to the panel.

Are the panels solid wood? Or an MDF/chipboard veneer? Plain or have they been made of parts, ie stile, rail and panel?

Advertisement