Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online gaming in Rathangan area (Outside the town)

• 19-01-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone would know of the best ISP for online gaming available about 5 miles outside Rathangan town.

The service would require a low ping at all times. Less than 100ms and if possible 25ms. A high/unlimited download cap would also be desired. If this can be by phoneline then all the better.

I have looked at Eircom 7mb connection, but I cannot find anywhere on the site information about whether it is available in my area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭nilhg

I would doubt if you'll get DSL at that distance outside the town, I'm only 2.5 miles out and the max I can get is 4mb, and I believe performance drops quickly with distance.
    There are wireless services available, if you have line of sight to either the hill of Allen, Grange Hill or Redhills you should be able to get one or other of the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have the names of any of the wireless providers? I am supprised on how difficult I am finding getting informatin on broadband on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭nilhg

Which of the hills can you see from your house?, or even if you want tell me where you live and I'll have an idea.

Try ripplecom

http://www.ripplecom.net/coverage.php

or Leinster Broadband

http://www.leinsterbroadband.com/ (page didn't load for me, but I often see their van around town)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

Thanks for the info, I will look into these and see how it goes. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

5 full miles is uncommonly long for a line I think! Are you sure that Rathangan is the exchange that serves you? I've seen a lot of rural areas with exchanges located at a mere crossroads and not in any village. Like Gortnagowna in Co. Tipp.

Still, nothing wrong with a good and recommended local wireless operator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement