Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emotional eating

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I've been dieting all my life because I've always been chubby however, at times when I was particularly happy and satisfied I managed to loose weight because I was more active and I didn't think about food or using it to compensate for boredom, sadness and lonelyness.
    On the other hand, when boredom, sadness, lonelyness or stress are there... well, I don't think about what I eat, I just do... sometimes unconsciously!
    Now, don't imagine me stuffing myself all day long however I surely don't seem to have control over food so that doesn't help to prepare/eat healthy meals.
    Anyway, I imagine a lot of people have the same problem sooo... I was thinking maybe we can discuss it and give each other support?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chatquidanse

Hey, I'm the exact same way, it's awful!As long as I'm happy then I don't want to eat, but the minute something happens all I want is bread and cake and nice things...I'm actually thinking about hypnotherapy or something for it. I managed to lose 2.5 stone and was feeling great, bought loads of nice clothes but I ended up in a ****ty job, and even though I quit it in April, I'm 1.5 stone heavier than I was before I started it.:mad: its so silly, theres always going to be stress and bad patches but I need to learn to stay the hell away from the biscuit tin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mayblue

I'm actually thinking about hypnotherapy or something for it.

I considered hypnotherapy myself and I used it for quitting sigarettes (and it worked :p ) however, it's an expensive solution since you need more than one session to make it work (I checked with my hypnotherapist) so I've decided to learn how to "DIY"... I just got a book called Hypnoterapy for Dummies so I'm going to give it a go and I'll let you know if it works. ;)
    its so silly, theres always going to be stress and bad patches but I need to learn to stay the hell away from the biscuit tin!!

I completely agree with you there. I'm the same... unfortunately that's the way we are used to dealing with problems and it's not a good way of doing it because it only adds up to the problem by making you feel bad about yourself. It's very very very hard to control emotional cravings because nothing else seems to have the same effect of the chocolate-fix however it's just a matter of training yourself (easier said than done).
    That's why I posted this thread to get help for myself and others who are emotional eaters and need encouragement, not only suggestions on dieting and exercise.
    You know what the ancients said? Healthy body in a healthy mind so let's start with making the mind happier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Fair play to you for bring up the subject .
    I'm kinda the same...i eat (over eat) when sad or pis*ed or even happy (don't want to ruin a good day ).If done the whole counseling thing and found it very good. I was basically over eating to fill the holes that i had ..emotional holes.....I've started doing some meditation (nothing to heavy,just some simple breathing exercises)and it's really good...Slows me down ...Kinda stops me reacting so quick on urges....It's gives me the time to think before head to the fridge for a big lump of cheese(i do like cheese).
    Have a look at the nutrition & diet forum...there's some great tips and advice...especially the sticky threads ...
    Best of luck and i hope you get some support and encouragement from the good folk on the site......we all need some sometimes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mayblue

del88 wrote: »
    I've started doing some meditation (nothing to heavy,just some simple breathing exercises)and it's really good...Slows me down ...Kinda stops me reacting so quick on urges....It's gives me the time to think before head to the fridge for a big lump of cheese(i do like cheese).
    Have a look at the nutrition & diet forum...there's some great tips and advice...especially the sticky threads ...
    Best of luck and i hope you get some support and encouragement from the good folk on the site......we all need some sometimes:)

Thanks for your comments... I never thought about meditation as a way to calm the "urges"... ;) however, I guess it does work and helps focus the mind on something else.
    I'll spend some time over the week end to have a look at the rest of the forum however I'll also try the self-hypnotherapy session and see if i can managed :p I'll keep you posted.

Advertisement