Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Can anyone give a few examples of a geography srp?

Everywhere mentions them but struggling to find examples of some.

Thanks
    Paddy

Ps any geography teachers who give grinds please pm me want to have my project looked at

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

An SRP is just a significant relevent point..it just means main point in the topic... so for say a question on volcanoes that is like 30 marks you should write 15 SRPs instead of rambling on. Its basically the most important info to be included!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭paddypender

i know its a relevant point but how long should it be.

Like is: Mt vesuvius is a volcano. an srp

Or would this be one

Mt Vesuvius is a cone volcano located in Italy. Formed as a result of the collision of two tectonic plates, the African and the Eurasian. The former was pushed beneath the latter, deeper into the earth. The crust material became heated until it melted, forming magma, a type of liquid rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I was told an SRP was not just ' latosols are zonal soils' but that you had to develop it more like ' latosols are zonal soils, a zonal soil is a soil that developed in response to a particular climate'.
    Or another one would be 'plants and animals depend on eachother in a rainforest, animals depend on plants for shelter and food. Plants rely on animals to disperse and fertilise their seeds.' That would be an SRP instead of just ' animals and plants depend on eachother in a rainforest. Try develop each plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

i know its a relevant point but how long should it be.

Like is: Mt vesuvius is a volcano. an srp

Or would this be one

Mt Vesuvius is a cone volcano located in Italy. Formed as a result of the collision of two tectonic plates, the African and the Eurasian. The former was pushed beneath the latter, deeper into the earth. The crust material became heated until it melted, forming magma, a type of liquid rock.

Depends... mt. vesuvius is a volcano is one because it is an example and that is needed. In your paragraphy there is about 4 in there. I wouldnt worry too much about it. They are just the main points you need to describe it. Anything that sound like waffle you dont need. You will get to know as you go along. Ask your teacher in school cause they will be able to explain it more clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cove.Throne

Bit of the original idea of the thread, but does anyone know what is roughly the max word count for the fieldwork which you could get away with? I have around 1,700 words:eek: with small-ish hand writing any way i could knick it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

An srp is a point, but it needs to be expanded a bit.

E.g. An example of mechanical weathering is exfoliation - wouldn't be an SRP. Rather, you'd need to say - "An example of mechanical weathering is exfoliation. Exfoliation, also known as onion weathering, describes the physical breakdown of rock due to the stress it undergoes as it constantly expands and contracts due to changing temperature [SRP]"

An example will usually get you an SRP, but these tend to be limited to about 2 per answer (e.g. an example of a volano is Mt. Etna [SRP]. Later on in the answer: An earthquake occured in this manner in San Francisco, 1906).

If you're stuck to think of any more information, a sketch map of the area you are discussing will always merit at least an SRP, providing it's relevant (for example, if discussing the exploration for gas, a sketch map of Ireland showing the Corrib and Kinsale gas fields will get you an SRP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

so just take a waterfall for instance

1)a waterfall is a feature of fluvial erosion

2)it is formed in the uppper course of a river

3)as time passes a waterfall retreats upstream

4)as it retreats upstream it leaves a steep sided gorge in its path

they are 4 examples of SRP's

basically they are specific points of info that are key to explaining the feature / situation you are trying to explain

Advertisement