Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dewalt DW708 Chopsaw

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a Dewalt DW708 Chopsaw and over the christmas it was left in the van. On the first day I went back to work after the christmas plugged the saw in to use it and it sounded dog rough. It was very loud compared to usual.

Any how I finished the job yesterday and bought replacement carbon brushes for it as I thought they were the culprit. They turn out not to be the problem. I am now thinking it might be the bearing in the saw.

Has anyone had this problem before? The noise of the feckin thing is absolutly deafining!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I had a fairly new angle grinder die on me a number of months back, well, it didnt die, but, had to be put down! :p As it, like you described, was making an awful racket! Really rough sounding, tearing, lots of sparks etc. The brushes were fine, turned out it was the little copperpads that the brushes wear against 'commutators' I think they are called, well, one of them was damaged or missing. If you can get the motor apart (thats if your warranty is up) have a look at them copper pads closely and see what condition they are in.

armature_commutator.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have an el-cheepo chop saw which I damaged the bearings on when I stalled it when a lump of wood jumped. (yes, 'it' jumped...).

You can get bearing off the service desk for most of these devices. It's a matter of being able to push-fit them that into the housing which is then the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Well I'm going to bring it to a Dewalt service centre to get it looked and it hopfully it will be just the bearings that are gone on it!

Advertisement