Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radiator fitting

• 19-01-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

hi im looking to get a rad fitted up in the attic, the pipes will be taken from the bedroom below and come straight up. can ayone recommend anyone in north dublin

also can anyone suggest a site were i could buy the rad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

No idea who to recommend in North Dub. Cheapest rad prices I know of come from Heatmerchants, brand called stella rad, they work great and fitted in hundreds of houses all over Ireland.

If your heating system is filled from attic storage tank, you might have a bit of bother trying to fill and vent rad fully, rad could be higher than attic tank so watch out, if your paying a plumber, plumber should know about all that.

Taking tee's off existing rads to supply new rad will upset balance of heating system. Anytime I've fitted rads in attic conversions I took supply's to attic rad / rads from hotpress. Inside hotpress you've got a 3/4 flow and return which is ideal for supplying rads. If you take a rad of another rad you might break the rule, no more than 2 rads off 1/2" pipe, if bedroom rad is working off 1/2 pipes supplying another rad then you might have 3 even 4 rads working off 1/2 pipes, not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

ye you see I want to put an extra rad under the windows and the only option is to take the feed of the current bedroom rad and go straight up other than that Ill have to lift floor boards.

The water tank will still be slightly higher than the new rad. I have one rad in the attic already

blahblah06 wrote: »
    ye you see I want to put an extra rad under the windows and the only option is to take the feed of the current bedroom rad and go straight up other than that Ill have to lift floor boards.

The water tank will still be slightly higher than the new rad. I have one rad in the attic already

I get you now, attic already converted / part converted. In that case do what you have to do, if attics not split up why not increase size of existing rad, the old days of rads located under windows are gone, rads are different now, can be fitted anywhere. If possible, to save hassle, go with bigger rad.

well the attic is a 1200 double I think thats what he said but the attic is a bigger open plan. Im getting the insulation re done so want to add another rad to keep the heat in.

Do you think it would be cheaper to source a rad then get the plumber to fit it ?

blahblah06 wrote: »
    well the attic is a 1200 double I think thats what he said but the attic is a bigger open plan. Im getting the insulation re done so want to add another rad to keep the heat in.

Do you think it would be cheaper to source a rad then get the plumber to fit it ?

Take measurements of attic with as much info as you can, include details of existing rad along with location of doors and windows then take all info to heatmerchants, they'll work out a heat loss calculation to give a figure of how many KW's you need to heat attic. Pick up a rad to match the KW output your missing.

Rads are aint too expensive so you'll hardly loose out to much letting plumber purchase rad, only problem is plumber may not size up rad correctly, you could have to much heat or not enough all depends on plumber doing job.

If your fussy best find out as much as you can so you' ll have attic set up the way you want it, doesn't take much to work out heat requirement.

• Advertisement

I'll let u know. Thanks a lot

Advertisement