Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden sleep problems with 3 year old. help!

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks, this is my first post in this group. I would really appreciate any advice. I am currently 39weeks pregnant and have a 3 year old daughter. She's been quite excited about the new baby coming but all of a sudden this week, she's been waking up in her room at about 1 or 2 am and refusing to go back to sleep in her room. She comes into our room saying she's lonely and wants to get into bed with us. She's been sleeping in her own room since she was about 18months and have never had issues. I don't know if she's anxious about the baby coming or feels left out, but we've been involving her as much as possible with the preparations and it's just come up very suddenly. I'm not sure how to approach this or how to deal with it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

I had my third child 4 months ago, and had a similar problem with my older two towards the end of the pregnancy, she more than likely is feeling a little anxious as to what might happen when new baby arrives, as long as you keep doing what you are doing and when the baby arrives involve her even more by asking her to help care for the baby with you, things like getting nappies for you or even just letting her splash a little water on the baby while in the bath will make her realises that you haven't forgotten her and baby isn't there to take her place. ( that seemed to be my 5 year old's biggest worry) Also try to give her time or her own with you even if it is only for a few minutes. Once I came home with the baby and my kids saw they weren't going to be left out, they settle back into there old routine and stayed in their own room. I reckon your daughter will be the same:) Good luck with the birth.

Advertisement