Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for your advice on website.

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, paid for a website to be built, but I could not change anything on it,did not know how and the lads that built it took to long to change things, also I wanted to post items on a daily / weekly basis,
    Found a free website builder, and did this myself,
    still working on it, www.goldiscount.ie
    any ideas or thoughts,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

keep working, are you looking to generate revenue from this site or is it just a personal site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

At first glance its hard to make out what the purpose of the site is. If you are trying to sell a product(s) then I don't see the why you would have golf updates on your homepage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 golfdiscount

keep working, are you looking to generate revenue from this site or is it just a personal site?
    yes it is a hobby that got out of hand, had to register for tax, would like to sell more on-line.

eddiehead wrote: »
    At first glance its hard to make out what the purpose of the site is. If you are trying to sell a product(s) then I don't see the why you would have golf updates on your homepage.
    So maybe change homepage, take golf updates off and maybe put a couple of sale items up ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 c123

Just had a quick look
    1. You Should look at simplifying menu choices and perhaps reduce number up there
    2. Watch font sizes and keep all similiar size
    3. Layout-sort it so even space from margin for pictures etc and put some general order on things
    4. Tagline you have under web address does not make sense-you need to have something simple here to show exactly what you are offering on the site
    5. Some spelling mistakes and sentences reading incorrectly on the business details page

• Advertisement

c123 wrote: »
    Just had a quick look
    1. You Should look at simplifying menu choices and perhaps reduce number up there
    2. Watch font sizes and keep all similiar size
    3. Layout-sort it so even space from margin for pictures etc and put some general order on things
    4. Tagline you have under web address does not make sense-you need to have something simple here to show exactly what you are offering on the site
    5. Some spelling mistakes and sentences reading incorrectly on the business details page
    Thank you for that advice, have taken tag off , will work on that, hidden business details page till I have that sorted, also hidden some other pages till I get sorted ,
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Hi, paid for a website to be built, but I could not change anything on it,did not know how and the lads that built it took to long to change things, also I wanted to post items on a daily / weekly basis,
    Found a free website builder, and did this myself,
    still working on it, www.goldiscount.ie
    any ideas or thoughts,
    Thanks
    Maybe in time to help the website be more successful, you could use a server (digiweb have a competition on boards.ie for free 1 year hosting) and upload something like Joomla: http://joomla.org (CMS) or http://wordpress.org (CMS) . This is very easy to install and free. It's very easy to use and update your website. You can just edit your website like webs.com but more professional.

Well done on your website! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Hi,

I'll give some harsh but honest criticism as this will help you in the long run. The site is pretty poor and certainly not a professional job, which is what you definitely need if you are a business selling items to potential customers.

This isn't your fault, it's the perception that people have of the web in Ireland. They want it done fast and cheap. This leads to those who will tell you they can produce quality work to professional standards while charging a tenth of the price.

Let's look into some of the problems on the website:

-- The website is slow to load and littered with widgets and features it doesn't need, like the clock on the left hand side.

-- The html coding leaves a lot to be desired.

-- The typography on the site is poor and difficult to read. This will annoy your customers. Navigation is also awkward.

-- The design of the site is all over the place and lacks a professional feel. This will be damaging to your business.

-- The homepage, the most important of every site, does not deliver a clear message of who you are and what you do. It's important to remember that the average internet user has a small attention span.

Well done on setting up your new business - it is something I have done myself and it isn't easy, but you need to be sure that those who are working for you really know what they're doing. Don't settle for mediocre work and listen to what has been said here. Best of luck with it.

Hi,

I'll give some harsh but honest criticism as this will help you in the long run. The site is pretty poor and certainly not a professional job, which is what you definitely need if you are a business selling items to potential customers

Thank you for being honest, I am changing a few things on site as I go, going to sit down one evening and look at all the comments and then do a major overhaul.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Hi and thanks for your reply. I would give some serious consideration
    to getting the site professionaly designed and developed.

Creating a site that's good takes years of experience and skill and isn't something that can be learned overnight.

Concentrate on your business and leave the site to the professionals.

• Advertisement

Sound advice, thank you,

Advertisement