Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question re jeep

• 19-01-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if i had a SWB pajero (around 97), that was a commercial, how hard is it to change it to passenger??
    If i bought seats, would it be a DIY job? Do they click in like some jeeps and cars?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just go to the UK and buy one.

The seat belt mountings are likely to have been welded over, also you'll need carpets, seats, seatbelts and glass.

You'll also have to pay the VRT (around €700) if it hasn't been registered as a passenger vehicle in the Republic prior to it being converted to commercial.

There are no good Pajero SWBs in this country for decent money unless they're 2.5 or automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I heard the 2.8 are the decent engine:confused::confused:
    I really need only 3 seats. And looking for some sort of jeep that has the seats that just click in.
    What jeep would you suggest for around the same price of the pajeros?
    3000 or less.

I have a Pajero 2.8 myself and they're very good.

If you're getting passenger you're talking 2.9 litre road tax (€1293 per year) and VRT.

If you don't need off road ability, maybe something like a van would suit, many have 3 front seats.
    If you still need 4WD there are some 4WD vans with 3 seats (VW Transporter for example)

You can't have back seats in a Commercial Pajero.

colm_mcm wrote: »

You can't have back seats in a Commercial Pajero.

I seen a commercial one on the donedeal that said the back seats are availble for it??

Need the 4WD. Thats the main thing. For going through fields and rough ground

back seats may be available, but it's illegal to have them in it on the road if it's taxed commercially.

Maybe something like a Suzuki Vitara or Jimny? cheap passenger tax, 5 seats and off-roadability

• Advertisement

Wouldn mind a Vitara, Jimney be too small. Need a bit of room in the back for carrying stuff. Plus they look a bit girley:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

1300 hundred a year road tax- omfg!

maybe a Vitara would do then, Jap import ones are called Escudos.

Mostly 1.6 petrol or 2.0 diesel.

1300 hundred a year road tax- omfg!

And the state of the roads:D
    Sure ya'd buy a jeep for that:D:D

maybe a Vitara would do then, Jap import ones are called Escudos.

Mostly 1.6 petrol or 2.0 diesel.

Diesel for me please;)
    Are the Suzuki's reliable??

• Advertisement

The older 2.0d Vitaras are pretty unbreakable but slow. Not sure if they were sold new in Ireland, so you'll be looking at Jap imports. they sold them in the UK with a turbo diesel - not sure of what origin - might be PSA.

The Grand Vitara had a Mazda diesel till 01 and a Renault one from then on. The Mazda one is dead slow.

Mmmm, wouldnt be gone on a Renault engine. I dont mind Mazda's but as you say its dead slow. What 4WD would you recommend?
    I need it for fields and rough ground like sites etc. Kinda need commercial as i have a 5 seater car. Would be used for short trips mostly, the odd long drive.
    Also id be towing a trailer sometimes too. I was looking at Jeep Cherokees too

If you need 3 seats you're stuck with passenger.

A Pajero 2.8 isn't exactly fast either, but it's great for towing. they're pretty severe on diesel. The idea of suggesting a Vitara is that you have good ground clearance, nice fuel economy and car-like road tax. I don't think there is anything comparable out there (for offroadability, low ratio gearbox, ladder frame chassis, small engine)

If you need 3 seats you're stuck with passenger.

A Pajero 2.8 isn't exactly fast either, but it's great for towing. they're pretty severe on diesel. The idea of suggesting a Vitara is that you have good ground clearance, nice fuel economy and car-like road tax. I don't think there is anything comparable out there (for offroadability, low ratio gearbox, ladder frame chassis, small engine)

Yea i know what you mean. I wouldnt mind the diesel on pajeros. Just not Izuzu's. Alcoholics.
    Do you have any experience with the Jeep Cherokees?? 2.5 TD ones? 1996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

The older 2.0d Vitaras are pretty unbreakable but slow. Not sure if they were sold new in Ireland, so you'll be looking at Jap imports. they sold them in the UK with a turbo diesel - not sure of what origin - might be PSA.

The Grand Vitara had a Mazda diesel till 01 and a Renault one from then on. The Mazda one is dead slow.

im pretty sure its pugeot 2.0 hdi not a renault

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Yea i know what you mean. I wouldnt mind the diesel on pajeros. Just not Izuzu's. Alcoholics.
    Do you have any experience with the Jeep Cherokees?? 2.5 TD ones? 1996

This makes no sense, the Pajeros are hard on juice. I have one. you would mind. They're no better on fuel than the Troopers.

The only experience I had of a 2.5 Cherokee was a bad one. it involved trading it in and the engine bearings collapsing 30 minutes after we sold it to a dealer. That's not to say they're bad, but I've never heard anything particularly good about them.
    the floor is very high, the roof is very low and you sit in the gap in the middle.
    Anyway, a Cherokee won't solve your 3 seats problem.
    broro22 wrote: »
    im pretty sure its pugeot 2.0 hdi not a renault
    I originally thought so too, but I've been corrected loads of times and wikipedia seems to back them up!
    The current ones are Renault anyway.

cherokee absolute ball of elephant dung the most troublesome heaps of scrap ive ever had the displeasure of working on. they would make renaults look like toyotas just thinkin about them is bringing on a bout of depression. i need to lie down for a while :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

broro22 wrote: »
    cherokee absolute ball of elephant dung the most troublesome heaps of scrap ive ever had the displeasure of working on. they would make renaults look like toyotas just thinkin about them is bringing on a bout of depression. i need to lie down for a while :(:(

But, at least a Cherokee is a Jeep.

Read the title, and thought this was going to be all about Jeeps. :confused:

i think its jeep as in general term for 4x4 or suv rather than the specific chrysler sub species

@ colm mcm maybe your right but they look more like a peugeot to me have to a bit of work one soon so ill confirm it one way or the other then

• Advertisement
Advertisement