Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've lost all motivation to continue

• 19-01-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Ive been learning to drive for the past two years. 1st year was spent learning and practising.

2nd year preparing for driving tests. I had a car for learning until it broke down. Was going to get another car but there really isnt any point because I dont have anyone to help me and sit in with me. So last year relied totally on lessons and got plenty of lessons.

Failed 3 driving tests. Im very happy with my driving instructor and hope to go back to him again if I decide to get more lessons. However I've lost all motivation to continue.

I cant get a car until I get a full linense. So cant practise in between lessons. But cant get a full linense because i'm not practicing. Lessons are just not enough. I've had plenty of lessons. I've put a lot of work and effort into learning and preparing for the tests getting plenty of lessons. And I dont think I'm willing to get more lessons. I've had plenty.

Is there any hope for me. Anything I can do aside from running away to a dry country with good public transport, or finding myself a male, single driving instructor to marry?

Something else I'm not happy with is driving testers not explaining where and how I've gone wrong after a test. They just give the sheet with your faults and tell you to apply again and better luck next time. How is that supposed to help a person? How is one supposed to learn from their mistakes if they are not explained. You then go out to your driving instructor and give him the sheet, and he says something on the lines of: theres a range of possible reasons why you got that grade two, and this one, and that one. All i'm saying here is that its my 75 euro. Am I not entitled to an explantation of where I've gone wrong so that I can go off and improve on them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I agree with you about the testers not discussing faults with you after a test, although i can see some rationale in not doing so. Although most people would be more than happy to listen to the reasons for their faults, others would simply dispute it and it could get out of hand.

You say you are happy with your instructor, but what does your instructor say about your driving after your tests, and the faults incurred? It's just that although your instructor might be very nice, perhaps he is missing out on certain aspects of your driving.

It's just something to consider, clearly i have no idea how good or bad your instructor is. I've just seen similar situations where instructors are very "nice" and give plenty of praise, but people still fail because they are reluctant to point out peoples faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

What have you failed on?
    What marks are on the sheets?
    First report sheet to Last report sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

Well first of all I think yesterday was apparently the most depressing day of the year (something to do with being after Christmas, credit card bills coming in etc etc) so you are not alone in feeling demotivated about things! Anyway point is people go through phases where motivation gets low while learning to drive but try and get through that and book another lesson - if you have one good lesson the enthusiasm will start to come back!

I agree with the previous posts - consider changing your instructor, maybe just try it for one lesson with a different instructor and see how a different approach works. Just because the instructor is 'nice' does not mean they are the best instructor for you, different instructors have different styles and so you need to find one that works best for you. Its not necessarily a bad reflection on your current instructor.

If at all possible try and find a friend, family member etc who is willing to put you on their insurance and go out driving with you. If you are dependant completely on lessons it is difficult and expensive. If you know someone with a car you could offer to pay for the extra insurance costs of adding you as a named driver which may not work out too expensive.

Best of luck and try keep at it - it can be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Your post really sounds desperate and it looks like you're in a Catch 22 situation. As Alanstrainor says some instructors are more concerned with keeping their pupils happy than making them aware of their faults.

It might be worth your while to get a second opinion from another driving instructor, and I'm sure some of the regular contributors here in the industry would be more than happy to assist you at a discounted rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Shrekasauras, did you get a printout of your driving test result?

Can you scan it onto your computer and post it on here, you can blank out stuff like your name, car reg, etc.

That should tell us where you failed on your test and people can then give you tips on how you can improve where you are failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I agree with you about the testers not discussing faults with you after a test, although i can see some rationale in not doing so. Although most people would be more than happy to listen to the reasons for their faults, others would simply dispute it and it could get out of hand.

You say you are happy with your instructor, but what does your instructor say about your driving after your tests, and the faults incurred? It's just that although your instructor might be very nice, perhaps he is missing out on certain aspects of your driving.

It's just something to consider, clearly i have no idea how good or bad your instructor is. I've just seen similar situations where instructors are very "nice" and give plenty of praise, but people still fail because they are reluctant to point out peoples faults.

I can understand that as I done 15 lessons with an instructor and failed 2 tests. Changed to a different fella and done 5 lessons and passed so it can help.
    But sometimes I wish that I had failed my truck test!!!!

Advertisement