Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler is peeing water, why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

pressure is too high on boiler in the pic its at 3bar , safety valve activates at 3bar to release pressure from system , check your hotpress or above the boiler for the filling loop and make sure its not open ,its a silver flexi pipe , you will then need to drop the pressure in the system , you can do this by opening a vent in a rad and catch the water in a bucket.
    hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

As above, make sure filling loop is closed fully, check pressure at boiler now, if it is much lower than 3 bar, your pressure relief valve is shot and will need to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Your boiler safety is passing, if its continuous flow of water best locate heating suppy valve and close it, first thing in morning ring a RGII service person, safety requires replacing.

Reason pipe goes nowhere special is so you can see water escaping, alerts you of a problem. Safety could be passing due to a damaged seal or somehow pressure in heating is too excessive, as long as you haven't adjusted / opened any valves recently I'd say its just a maintenance problem.

If your running boiler while water passing through safety you'll do boiler damage, also its not good to have fresh water entering heating system constantly, fresh water can corrode heating system from inside, first signs of damage will be boiler heat exchanger, depending on boiler could be a costly job.

Ring an RGII service person ASAP, even if you mamage to stop water passing, once safety has been broken / opened, safety requires replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

wow that was a fast response.
    Thanks
    (now where did i put that hammer) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

forgot to say , if you find that your filler loop is closed and when pressure has dropped when you turn heating on if the pressure rises to 3bar again your expansion vesell could be knackered causing this to happen.
    and as items said your safety valve will more than likely need replacing

• Advertisement

would the filling loop be the same as the "balancing valve for cylinder" ?
    (that's the only one that is half way, the rest are all fully turned)

ive a load of labels in the water boiler area called....
    1)balancing valve for cylinder.
    2)by pass valve
    3)heating system valve

ahh,, "its a silver flexi pipe"
    checked it but its turned fully off .

If you haven't turned on any valves prior to water passing through safety then you've got a boiler problem, something that cant be fixed by a DIY'er.

Has anyone been messing about with heating lately, as in venting rads, opening valves etc?

Your boiler pressure is fairly high, must be a reason for it.

You've located filling loop, if loop has a black on / off have lever horizontal to fitting for off, if valve on / off is a flat head screw, again horizontal to fitting for off, when I mean horizontal, should be 90 degree, any little either way, fill valve is slightly open.

i bled the rads last week just to see,(for 1/2 a second) because it was flipping cold.

Quote "You've located filling loop, if loop has a black on / off have lever horizontal to fitting for off, if valve on / off is a flat head screw, again horizontal to fitting for off, when I mean horizontal, should be 90 degree, any little either way, fill valve is slightly open."
    does that picture look ok

http://picasaweb.google.com/timothyMc/Boiler#5428600325304861010

s10 wrote: »
    i bled the rads last week just to see,(for 1/2 a second) because it was flipping cold.

Quote "You've located filling loop, if loop has a black on / off have lever horizontal to fitting for off, if valve on / off is a flat head screw, again horizontal to fitting for off, when I mean horizontal, should be 90 degree, any little either way, fill valve is slightly open."
    does that picture look ok

http://picasaweb.google.com/timothyMc/Boiler#5428600325304861010

That valve (filling) is wide open, turn it the other way. Turn both valves off, then disconnect filling loop.

Horizontal = at right angles to the vertical. Valve body is the vertical. If valves have been in that position all the time, thats why boiler pressure is so high to pass out safety, maybe when you were bleeding rads, mains pressure was low, Co Council working on mains etc. Water came back on, somehow valves were left open.

• Advertisement

the boiler house has been wet for 6-8 months now and i put it down to a leak in its roof........
    (just trying to think now, which of the many morons that i know, did i have in the apartment. ugh i know too many idiots)

anywho BAR is down to 1. heating been on for 30 mins, fingers crossed .

Thanks guys.

ps. since u guys love helping ppl, you may wanna check out/look up
    "Comedy Car Talk" they are mechanics which is pretty close to what you guys did , its 1.4 gigs but its 52 x 24.8 MB each, one hour shows, i love it.

Advertisement