Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:38pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I have my head set for being a vet but dont think im gonna get the points and dont really have the heart to repeat.So im just wondering which is the best route? Do one of 3 science degrees and then try and get a graduate place in ucd or do any science degree and study in budapest!Which would ye recommend?how long is the budapest course,price?Any help appreciated
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 yo!its_yoyo

You should have your vet course at number one anyway.
    If you get enough points then you will get that, but if you had something else 1st and still got the points you would be offered no.1 and not no.2 even though you would rather it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You should have your vet course at number one anyway.
    If you get enough points then you will get that, but if you had something else 1st and still got the points you would be offered no.1 and not no.2 even though you would rather it
    True, but not what he asked ;)

Anyway UCD is very tough to get into as a graduate; there's only five places. But Budapest isn't your only other option, you should look about courses in the UK. I know Edinburgh university accepts graduates with biological science degrees. And I've heard about some universities running six year veterinary courses, for undergraduates who don't get the right grades, I don't know much about these though.

And I wouldn't rule out repeating either, I'm repeating right now and honestly the year flies!

I would like to second the fact that grad vet is difficult to get into, my cousin's doing it at the moment. She did a science teaching degree first I think, and only went back to do vet 2 or 3 years ago. So if you really can't face repeating (I'm with ya on that one...!) I'd say do another degree, and if at the end of it you still want to do vet then you can try for grad. But do be aware that grad vet is very competitive, only 5 places, so if you don't think you'd be able to get in that way you might want to repeat. I know nothing about Budapest, sorry!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Lawliet wrote: »
    True, but not what he asked ;)

Anyway UCD is very tough to get into as a graduate; there's only five places. But Budapest isn't your only other option, you should look about courses in the UK. I know Edinburgh university accepts graduates with biological science degrees. And I've heard about some universities running six year veterinary courses, for undergraduates who don't get the right grades, I don't know much about these though.

And I wouldn't rule out repeating either, I'm repeating right now and honestly the year flies!

But dont think there accepted to work in Ireland are they?
    Maybe im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

Another option would be to go to the north and sit A-levels. I did that instead of repeating and it allowed me to go to the UK (London RVC) to study. All of the UK qualifications allow you to register with the Veterinary Council of Ireland and work here.

I've heard mixed reports about studying in Budapest. In general graduates seem to enjoy their time there but do not get as much practical experience as they would in the UK and Ireland. This makes your first year out in practice that bit more difficult.

The Farmer's Journal ran an article on this some years ago. It's a bit dated but may be of help:
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2004/0501/ruralliving/countrylifestyle/careerprofiles.shtml

• Advertisement
Advertisement