Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The definitive Meath history thread

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find one of these already but I think it would be a really brilliant idea to have a thread where locals from across Meath can contribute to questions about local history, archaeology and folklore.

I'm always going around the place wondering about the people who lived there and reimagining the landscape and architecture. I tend to jump out of the car and take pictures of anything that interests me and, at present, those photos of Meath historical sites alone run to about five hundred. As a result I sort of store up questions until I can corner somebody who knows all the answers!:)

Let's make this thread a repository of historical knowledge and local folklore on Meath's amazing history.

Seanchaí

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

My first question relates to Slane. I was coming into Slane from Cill Dhéagláin/Killeglan (renamed Ashbourne in 1820) and at the top of the hill that goes down to the bridge across the Boyne, I saw an old ruin about two fields in on the left-hand side.

I was thinking, without any basis whatsoever, that based on its size this was the old Slane Castle, the seat of the Fleming family. Does anybody know, however, what it really was? If it wasn't, where can remains of the old Slane Castle be seen today?

While I'm at it, does anybody know what happened that Fleming family? As far as I know - and I'm open to correction - they controlled Slane from the late twelfth century until the late seventeenth century when they were dispossessed. Are there any of their descendents around Slane today?

I took this photo a few years ago. It is of the side of Carnbane East in Loughcrew. Looking at the landscape on the side of this hill, I can't help but wonder are all the rows remnants of "lazy beds" from pre-Famine potato-growing times? It would be very difficult to get a tractor up there and at any rate the land isn't much use for general arable farming.

P1030196.jpg?t=1263938196

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Seanchai wrote: »
    My first question relates to Slane. I was coming into Slane from Cill Dhéagláin/Killeglan (renamed Ashbourne in 1820) and at the top of the hill that goes down to the bridge across the Boyne, I saw an old ruin about two fields in on the left-hand side.

I was thinking, without any basis whatsoever, that based on its size this was the old Slane Castle, the seat of the Fleming family. Does anybody know, however, what it really was? If it wasn't, where can remains of the old Slane Castle be seen today?

While I'm at it, does anybody know what happened that Fleming family? As far as I know - and I'm open to correction - they controlled Slane from the late twelfth century until the late seventeenth century when they were dispossessed. Are there any of their descendents around Slane today?

Great idea for a thread. I don't really know much about those ruins only I don't think they're old enough/big enough to be a castle. I might have some pictures of it up close and from 'inside', I'll have a look and try to post them up. I wouldn't recommend going in to have a look at it though, there's a nasty old bull in that field that doesn't like visitors!
    I took this photo a few years ago. It is of the side of Carnbane East in Loughcrew. Looking at the landscape on the side of this hill, I can't help but wonder are all the rows remnants of "lazy beds" from pre-Famine potato-growing times? It would be very difficult to get a tractor up there and at any rate the land isn't much use for general arable farming.

P1030196.jpg?t=1263938196

Thanks for asking this too, I've been wondering about those marks in the landscape up there myself.

Went back to Slane yesterday and when I came to this ruin I drove down the lane, got out of the car and asked a resident nearby what it was called and she said it was Fennor abbey. Sure enough a search when I got home has this, actually Fennor "Castle", a fortified house built circa early 17th century (there was an ancient Fennor Abbey, the ruins of which are nearby apparently):

FennorCastle.jpg

Does anybody know the name of the family which lived here in Fennor Castle/House?

This article is of no use in answering that.

Advertisement