Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor Kevin Kiely,TD Jan O'Sullivan let Limerick down by supporting thugish behavior

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

What do readers think....have Mayor Kevin Kiely and TD Jan O'Sullivan let Limerick down by supporting thugish behavior?

From the Limerick Leader

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-TD-Jan-offers-support.5987445.jp

Limerick TD Jan offers support for Gerry McLoughlin over verbal abuse of referee

Published Date: 15 January 2010

By Anne Sheridan

LABOUR deputy Jan O'Sullivan and the Mayor of Limerick have both offered their support to Labour Cllr Gerry McLoughlin, who has come under fire for allegedly subjecting a referee to serious verbal abuse last month.

The Limerick Leader has revealed that referee George Clancy, in his official report of the match between Shannon RFC and Cork Constitution at Coonagh on December 5, stated that Cllr McLoughlin had accused him of being "a cheat". Assistant referee Tommy O'Donoghue, in his report, said Cllr McLoughlin was "leading an amount of verbal abuse, calling him a cheat, a c*** and a bastard." He alleged that Cllr McLoughlin's abuse "gave way to people coming behind Mr McLoughlin to join in on the verbal abuse".

Deputy O'Sullivan, the most senior member of the party in Limerick and a keen rugby fan, said she wasn't present at the match in question, but understood to some extent how tempers could flare.

"Gerry McLoughlin is a very passionate person when it comes to rugby. I don't know what he said, but if he said things he shouldn't have said I'm sure it's because of his passion for rugby, particularly for Shannon. We can all lose our cool at times if we're upset about something," said Deputy O'Sullivan.

Mayor of Limerick, Fine Gael's Cllr Kevin Kiely, said that as the president of a rugby club himself (Thomond in the city) he can "understand that at times people say things they may not mean".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Does'nt surprise me with her. A waffler of the highest order. Seems to spend most of her time going on about stuff that is not representative of her constituents and here is a classic example. Shes as bad as her colleague and his disgraceful behaviour by not acknowledging the wrong that was done.

"I don't know what he said, but if he said things he shouldn't have said I'm sure it's because of his passion for rugby, particularly for Shannon"
    She doesnt know what was said.....who are you kidding Jan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What do readers think....have Mayor Kevin Kiely and TD Jan O'Sullivan let Limerick down by supporting thugish behavior?

No.
    Id prefer to see politicans with a bit of passion,even If it is just on the rugby pitch, rather than the dull monotone androids we usually have in the dail.

panda100 wrote: »
    No.
    Id prefer to see politicans with a bit of passion,even If it is just on the rugby pitch, rather than the dull monotone androids we usually have in the dail.

By passion do you mean it's ok to have your 7 year old at a rugby match listening to a Labour Clr. calling a match official a Fu#cking Cun#?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

panda100 wrote: »
    No.

There's passion and there's abuse. The two words are not interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

all a storm in a tea cup I think sticks and stones and all that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

id prefer to see the politicans do some actual work.....

if they can work on solving the conutries problems i couldnt give a flying fook whether they swear or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I have voted for Jan O'Sullivan in the past and I will never make the same mistake again.....

For her to come out and condone the behaviour of a Political Party Colleague who has been reported in the Media as "Leading an amount of verbal abuse" against a Referee at a sporting fixture - Which reportedly acted as incitement and encouragement for others to join in is shameful and without a doubt shows her extremely poor level of decency, integrity, honesty and highlights a very skewed sense of determination of the difference between right and wrong.

In my opinion Gerry McLoughlin behaved like any other trouble-making Thug knocking around in Public - despite having had ample time in his 99 years to grow up - and if that's what the Labour Party accepts, supports and encourages then I'm not going to waste any more time on those Labour Party Cheating, Bástarding Cúnts.

- I'm surprised that Mayor Kiely didn't take advantage of the opportunity to put forth fresh theories further showcasing his famous small-time, moronic, racist mindset when asked about the issue, perhaps if the Referee was Polish then Kiely would have detained him with his Mayoral chain and deported him personally while Labour Councillor Gerry McLoughlin roared obscene Schoolyard curses at him and Jan O'Sullivan followed both of them smiling and assuring everyone it was all in good fun?

Its embarrassing.

Raiser wrote: »
    - I'm surprised that Mayor Kiely didn't take advantage of the opportunity to put forth fresh theories showcasing his famous small-time, moronic, racist mindset when asked about the issue, perhaps if the Referee was Polish then Kiely would have detained him with his Mayoral chain and deported him personally?

Excellent - Quote of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it were a Sinn Fein man at a soccer match around town?

Fair enough he lost the plot, we'll get over that but dont paint it as anything else.

Advertisement