Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O'Dea on PrimeTime 19/01/10 Episode dealing with the proposed banking inquiry

Options
  • 19-01-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Looks like the Commission in charge of the inquiry can choose to hold hearings in public. Worth a watch.

Most bemusing part when the head of the Law Department in NUI Maynooth pointed out that the use of a Supreme Court Judgement to argue for a private investigation was a misinterpretation of that Judgement and that O'Dea was incorrect to use it as justification for not having a public inquiry.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given his ability to perjure himself, I wouldn't believe anything coming from him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

ahh willie o dea
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think we've reached a new point in our nation's existence. I honestly thought there would be an outcry to get O'Dea and his like out of public office before now. His arrogance and dismissive attitude towards more qualified people was astounding.. and yet, not really surprising at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

ahh yeah

but shur if you took the likes of willie out of politics the house would be full of boring ould farts we would have no one to laugh at.....well except joan burton:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Trotter wrote: »
    I think we've reached a new point in our nation's existence. I honestly thought there would be an outcry to get O'Dea and his like out of public office before now. His arrogance and dismissive attitude towards more qualified people was astounding.. and yet, not really surprising at all.

He is a barrister though, so i wouldn't say he's unqualified, still wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have to say I was appalled by the way he was allowed to totally shout down Geroge Lee and the other chap - there was no way either if them could make their point with that toerag shouting in their ear - Miriam was terrible and fair play to George for not twating the prick.

GL got him brilliantly when - the look of disbelief on his face when Mighty mouse said "Do you honestly think this government would choose people who would fudge the results" GL said - "Yes of course" ( sorry I am paraphrasing )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have to say I was appalled by the way he was allowed to totally shout down Geroge Lee and the other chap - there was no way either if them could make their point with that toerag shouting in their ear - Miriam was terrible and fair play to George for not twating the prick.

GL got him brilliantly when - the look of disbelief on his face when Mighty mouse said "Do you honestly think this government would choose people who would fudge the results" GL said - "Yes of course" ( sorry I am paraphrasing )

In fairness Miriam shut him up a few times and both George Lee and the NUI Professor got a chance to state their points clearly. I think she did ok. At the end of it I thought all three had gotten some chance to make their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

nesf wrote: »
    In fairness Miriam shut him up a few times and both George Lee and the NUI Professor got a chance to state their points clearly. I think she did ok. At the end of it I thought all three had gotten some chance to make their case.

Agreed. And I think the NUI law man delivered the killer blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

nesf wrote: »
    Very interesting. Looks like the Commission in charge of the inquiry can choose to hold hearings in public. Worth a watch.

Most bemusing part when the head of the Law Department in NUI Maynooth pointed out that the use of a Supreme Court Judgement to argue for a private investigation was a misinterpretation of that Judgement and that O'Dea was incorrect to use it as justification for not having a public inquiry.

Well even if wee willie is a solicitor or whatever, he has a bit of a loose interpretation of the law, especially the oath part about the truth and nothing but the truth :rolleyes:
    RobAMerc wrote: »

Well as I have argued on other threads about tubhead, I would question winking mirriams objectivity.

Any chance we could get Brian Farrell or Olivia O'Leary out of retirement :o

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Willie O Dea sounds more like Chemical Ali by the day, They both speak utter bull****, one of them will be executed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

galwayrush wrote: »
    Willie O Dea sounds more like Chemical Ali by the day, They both speak utter bull****, one of them will be executed.:rolleyes:

Maybe we could do a Barabbas on it with Chemical Ali?
    I'm sure he'd like the second crack at a defence ministry.

Advertisement