Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams Compensation?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with using that compensation system to pass exams? What criteria do you need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Whats the story with using that compensation system to pass exams? What criteria do you need?

You need to have a passed at least 9 modules from that stage and have a overall GPA of 2.2 (?).... And you can only recieve compensation if you achieve an E grade... i.e You cant get compensatition for an F grade!!! (you must repeat it)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aoifemcd

Bukman13 wrote: »
    You need to have a passed at least 9 modules from that stage and have a overall GPA of 2.2 (?).... And you can only recieve compensation if you achieve an E grade... i.e You cant get compensatition for an F grade!!! (you must repeat it)

i only have 5 so far so does that mean i still have to repeat it? or can i wait until the end of the year and see if i can compensate then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

aoifemcd wrote: »
    i only have 5 so far so does that mean i still have to repeat it? or can i wait until the end of the year and see if i can compensate then?

I have the same question! I only did 5 modules last sememster, passed 4 and got 1 E.

Also, I'm very sure there's an error in my marking as regards tutorials. Do I email the tutor or go to the programme office or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

No, as long as you pass 9 modules by the end of the year (ie this semester) you will be able to pass by compensation, as long as your GPA is above 2. Your compensated E carries a GPA of 1.6

Its all explained here:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/Explanation%20of%20Modular%20Grades.pdf

Also, I'm very sure there's an error in my marking as regards tutorials. Do I email the tutor or go to the programme office or what?

These are only the provisional results so if there is a mistake it may well be rectified when the final results come out (some time in early Febuary I think). You should go and talk to your programs office about it though. They'll be able to do something about it or point you in the right direction if there is a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

It doesn't mention it in that PDF docu, but is it the same for a core module? P(c) that is?

damselnat wrote: »
    It doesn't mention it in that PDF docu, but is it the same for a core module? P(c) that is?

Generally, yes. There are some modules that can't be passed by compensation, certain courses where a knowledge in the subject is vital to understanding futures modules etc. but on the whole they are treated the same.

Ask in your programs office if you are worried that yours might not be compensatable. Chances are you would have been made aware of this already though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Cheers Bushy, will do that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Right, I have 2 Es, I have to repeat the other two I failed (Yeah, I know it's beyond ridiculous, but I think I had to learn the hard way......) but if I pass those repeats AND everything else, will those two be compensated?

damselnat wrote: »
    Cheers Bushy, will do that

No prob :)
    Fad wrote: »
    Right, I have 2 Es, I have to repeat the other two I failed (Yeah, I know it's beyond ridiculous, but I think I had to learn the hard way......) but if I pass those repeats AND everything else, will those two be compensated?

That's an interesting question actually... If you repeat your two F's, and pass, you'll have passed over 75% of this stage's module, so should pass your two E's by compensation. (As long as your GPA is over 2)

I guess it would work that way, I can't find anywhere where it says otherwise. Though my brain is fired from studying all day so I could be wrong... Apologies if I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

WeeBushy wrote: »
    That's an interesting question actually... If you repeat your two F's, and pass, you'll have passed over 75% of this stage's module, so should pass your two E's by compensation. (As long as your GPA is over 2)

I guess it would work that way, I can't find anywhere where it says otherwise. Though my brain is fired from studying all day so I could be wrong... Apologies if I am.

Thanks!

I need to see a student advisor for a variety of reasons at this stage, they'll probably know for sure!

Thanks!

I need to see a student advisor for a variety of reasons at this stage, they'll probably know for sure!

They probably will. Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Thanks!

Hey, I was in a similar situation to you in first year.

I failed 5 modules (2 Fs and 3 Es), I was lucky enough to get 2As 3Bs too so my GPA wasn't too bad.

I went into stage X, where I just repeated the two Fs and took 9/10 second year modules that year.

I passed the two repeats and the 3 Es were compensated, your only problem may be your GPA, Es are capped at 1.8 and repeats at 2... so make sure your GPA will be above 2.25 (that what it was for me) it may have been lowered since to just 2 though.

So basically Yes, you can just repeat your Fs and they will compensate you Es.

Advertisement