Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving lessons before the test..?

• 20-01-2010 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I am a complete beginner when it comes to driving.. Had my first lesson last week and he said I was good for a beginner. Can someone give me a rough guess as to how many 1.5 hour long lessons it'd take for me to be able to take the test with no other practise.. (Can't afford insurance on my parents car with just a learners permit..!)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How honestly could we tell how well you can drive and what effort would be required in order to pass the test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

This post has been deleted.

+1. Some Ins companies are offering free ins for a named driver for 6 months if you take 10 lessons with a driving school. Aviva are doing it if you take lessons with their own driving school, and Allianz are doing it in conjunction with ISM. So if your parents are insured with either of these 2 companies your in luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Ciara I definitely think practise outside of lessons is a good idea and instructors will usually recommend this. You'll also get experience driving with someone who's not your instructor.
    Unfortunately no one can predict how many lessons you'll need. Everyone is different. I think as you take more and more lessons you'll feel your confidence growing and at some stage down the road you'll feel like you're ready to take the test. Your instructor may tell you when he feels you're ready but really only you can decide.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

HI

I always used two grades when talking about drivers in your situation, a beginner driver or test ready driver/inexperienced driver.
    A. a beginner driver: is someone who does not know what the controls do and/or cannot use them or need to think about using them.
    B. a test ready driver/ inexperienced driver: is a learner which has the control, understanding and competency to drive in everyday situations when they may require/use manoeuvres to park or change direction.

POINT ONE:
    The first thing you should do is understand the controls of the vehicle.
    Then you should practice the use of same. (10 – 20, 1 HOUR lessons would be standard)

Then you would get into the pre-test driving (ONLY IF YOUR Qualified ADI can say you should) where the amount of lessons to get to test standard could be 10 and up, this depends on how good you are NOW and how fast you pic up POINT ONE.

Look at the video tutorials on www.drivingtesttips.ie "its free information to help" and remember you will need lessons to get to that standard.

I would also advise you to do 1 hour lessons every second day as learners get very tired after about 45 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement