Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn Flash

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

I need to learn flash, well basically learn how to make nice banners and widgets, also want to get good at actionscript.

Any advice on sites books etc. I learn best by example so hands on tutorials or video tutorials will do. Any one have any links to sites they found useful?

Comments

lynda.com is excellent for video tuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

This is great: http://www.flash-creations.com/notes/
    It's all Actinscript 2, which is good to start from.

Other than lynda.com - it's the only other resource out there i'd recommend since it's got tutorials in order, and they all build on each other giving you a really ood foundation in the fundamentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Do you have any programming experience? If you understand the concepts and constructs of development, you should be able to learn Flash quite easily. You'll need to learn the event driven nature of Flash and get used to the development environment (which can be quite a head melt for traditional programmers) but the learnin curve isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

use something like swishmax, easier than flash and has a lot of built in features and templates that a lot of designers already use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

cheers for the links!

That swishmax looks interesting, do many people use it? i would however like an in depth knowledge of flash, good enough to put on a c.v swishmax looks like it might be useful when in a bind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I use swishmax for quick jobs, generally i don't like using flash because i think it makes websites sluggish and takes away sometimes from the real information, i only use it for adverts, headers and applications. When im doing something heavier ill use adobe flash as the actionscript coding aspect of it is a lot stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

generally i don't like using flash because i think it makes websites sluggish and takes away sometimes from the real information

Only if it's used incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

If you're learning actionscript from scratch i'd recommend learning actionscript 3. Its completely different from AS2 and will stand the test of time better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you're learning actionscript from scratch i'd recommend learning actionscript 3. Its completely different from AS2 and will stand the test of time better for you.

Totally disagree. AS3 is overkill for most people's needs. It's strict typing for a start and event model for buttons is a pain in the ass for beginners.

I say learn AS3 when you need it, avoid it until then.

Advertisement