Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultegra 6600

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying this Groupset

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44645

€502 isn't bad.

Is there a reason it's going cheap though? Is it being discontinued?

Also does anyone know if the cassette will fit on a Mavic Open Sup rim, got these with another bike, possibly from the 90's?

Thanks,

Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It's cheap because it's been replaced by the 6700. Still good though.

Cassettes fit hubs not rims so you'd need to tell us what you've got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, it has been replaced with a new generation of Ultegra- not that that means there is anything wrong with the old one, but I would take the "reduction" with a pinch of salt as you would not expect to buy Ultegra 6600 at the full price any more.

Also consider whether you want the crank/cassette combinations available, not that big a deal to change but certainly adds to the cost. 52 is slightly annoying as a big ring on the standard while 11-23 with the compact doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

blorg wrote: »
    .. while 11-23 with the compact doesn't make a lot of sense.

actually makes huge amount of sense :)
    that was the origional selling point of a compact, use it with the 23-11 as the 50x11 is a bigger gear than the 53x12 :eek:
    plus you have the added bonus of a close ratio cassette instead of the equivilant 53x27/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Save weight and cash, and get SRAM Rival for £455!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

sexpot wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying this Groupset

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44645

€502 isn't bad.

Is there a reason it's going cheap though? Is it being discontinued?

Also does anyone know if the cassette will fit on a Mavic Open Sup rim, got these with another bike, possibly from the 90's?

Thanks,

Paul

The new 6700 Ultegra is retailing for around 600 euro. It's worth spending the extra 100 to get this newer set, from what I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

The Compact is £50 dearer anyway. So for €502 you're looking at the 39-23 as you're lowest gear which is going to leave you struggling on the hills!

I was looking at groupsets recently, Cycle superstore have 105 Triple for £385 which isn't bad and Ribble have Tiagra full groupset for £260. Now Tiagra used to be considered fairly crap but I believe the newer stuff is much improved (only 9 speed though). Ribble also have good prices on a lot of Campy stuff.

me@ucd wrote: »
    actually makes huge amount of sense :)
    that was the origional selling point of a compact, use it with the 23-11 as the 50x11 is a bigger gear than the 53x12 :eek:
    plus you have the added bonus of a close ratio cassette instead of the equivilant 53x27/12.
    I think most people buying compacts are doing it to get lower climbing gears.

The shift between the big rings is so abrubt and the cadence disruption so massive compared to a standard double that I can't imagine many actually buy it for the reasons you outline.

@OP- I wouldn't be falling over this offer to be honest, PX were doing an entire carbon bike with full new Ultegra 6700 for £999 not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

There should be an equivalent of Godwin's Law for blorg and Planet-X - 'how many posts in a thread until...'

Only messing though, I was seriously considering forking out on exactly that recently just on all the recommendations alone. Only splurge guilt held me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Thanks for all the opinions there.

Blorg - yeah a lot of bikes seem to be a better buy with the groupset but I'm buying the frame from Mercian and want something good to put on it. I might be using it for possible touring as well so I might go for the triple. Really not sure on this.

I also have an old Dura-ace set up. I think it was the one with the first sti shifters, I could possibly put this on either, but the shift gets stuck sometimes on the rear derailleur and I think a Mercian frame deserves something better.

Tiny - not too keen on saving weight, won't matter too much to me. But it does seem a good deal. Are they any good?

I also considered 105 but heard it's crap due to the plastic shifters breaking all the time. Any opinions?

Touring is very different really, I dont think you can get one bike that does it all... I have a triple on my tourer and wouldn't have anything else... hoewver have done up to a week on my race bike over the Pyrenees with a saddlebag...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Yeah, I think I've come to the realisation that I'll actually have to get two seperate bikes. I would like to use it for both but the triple does get some bad reviews on the road. A compact may be nice, I won't be doing any serious touring and to be honest will probably be doing a lot more on the road (not racing though). The compact may suit my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

sexpot wrote: »
    Tiny - not too keen on saving weight, won't matter too much to me. But it does seem a good deal. Are they any good?

It's good enough for me! I wouldn't use anything else by choice (well, except for Force or Red)

Advertisement