Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hows agoing lads just wondering if any one can give me some advice.
    im thinking of buying my first gun to shoot rabbits i have permission from
    2 land owners to apply for my licence.i was told today by a friend the first gun must be a shotgun is this true and can someone please give me some advice on starting cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

hi and welcome.
    nope not correct . can be a rifle or shotgun , air rifle etc ..
    you may have a easier time getting a shotgun or a .22 mind rather then going for a .308 first time round :D .

Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

ya may get one more signature while you are at it. you will need 3

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

couple of lads in our gun club got rifles for their first gun and no problems. if its for rabbits ild go for 22 and work from there. my first rifle was a .22cz and i still have it. great bit of kit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Darr wrote: »
    hi and welcome.
    nope not correct . can be a rifle or shotgun , air rifle etc ..
    you may have a easier time getting a shotgun or a .22 mind rather then going for a .308 first time round :D .

Darr

+1. Some firearms are "easier" to get than others, it all depends on your level of experience. If you are a beginner then an Air rifle or .22lr would be the choice for a first rifle. This is to get you used to handling a rifle and learning the technique of firing one before progressing to a higher calibre. If its a shotgun then there is no real limit but more a choice of what calibre, ie. 12g, 20g, 410, etc. After that you need to decide whether you would like an over/under, semi auto, single barrel.
    Originally Posted by homerhop
    ya may get one more signature while you are at it. you will need 3

No. The minimum requirment is 2 permissions. If a Garda requires more than thats between you and the Garda in question, but 2 permissions is accepted as the minimum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

If you're gonna hit them in big numbers then .22lr is the way to go. Great learner gun too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

smackey wrote: »
    hows agoing lads just wondering if any one can give me some advice.
    im thinking of buying my first gun to shoot rabbits i have permission from
    2 land owners to apply for my licence.i was told today by a friend the first gun must be a shotgun is this true and can someone please give me some advice on starting cheers

your friend is full of poo poo. you can get a rifle if you like for a first gun.

Advertisement