Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 597 Semi Auto

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Any owners on the site? Looking for opinions on it. Thanks.

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Took a lot of advise on these a couple of years ago. Heard of endless feed jams... got a Ruger 10/22T and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I heard they were very picky with ammo, heard the same about the g22, ended up not going for a semi, which considering the hassle with the licencing...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Was looking at this version in Duffy's Galway last week, looks fantastic and excellent balance would be interesting to see how it fires after a couple of hundred rounds

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=191

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

hi, I own a 597, and I have to admit its brilliant fun..paid about 290 for it a few yrs back, and have literally put 1000's of rounds through it, if not 10's of 1000's ! It had two mag re-designs due to feed issues but the latest mags are excellent ( i have 5 now!). It doesnt like Remington yellow jackets though. You can now buy all sorts of sniper stocks etc for it but I found myself going back to the original. Also need a picatinny rail which screws onto the top of receiver. I did spray it black because the standard grey stock looks awful. It also picks up some fouling in the trigger area (like most semis) but u can field strip it in a minute or two. Overall I think its an excellent rifle with great build quality and a nice heavy barrel, and its pretty damn accurate when using subsonics and standard vel rounds. Using CCI Velociters it has knocked plenty foxes with two rounds at 50 yds. Accuracy at the range suffers when using fast movers like CCI stingers & velociters. I have given it dogs abuse and it has taken it all, and it still fires those little rounds as fast as you can pull that trigger ! My 2c...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Terrier wrote: »
    Was looking at this version in Duffy's Galway last week, looks fantastic and excellent balance would be interesting to see how it fires after a couple of hundred rounds

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=191

That model is out of my budget. I did watch a 2 part video review on youtube last night and reviewer was extremely happy with his 597. He also noted he had no feed or jam issues with any type of ammo he put through it.

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

All 597s in 17 HMR have been recalled. (FYI) I had one, lots of mag problems would get a 10/22, next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

kkelly77 wrote: »
    That model is out of my budget. I did watch a 2 part video review on youtube last night and reviewer was extremely happy with his 597. He also noted he had no feed or jam issues with any type of ammo he put through it.

K
    I wouldn't believe a second of those reviews on youtube. Not after I saw one 'reviewer' saying the Walther P22 was an accurate little pistol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Sandyman

Hi,
    I was a 597 owner in .17hmr. Its not as accurate as a bolt action for obvious reasons. It was the black action. I found the trigger too heavy to group with and I replaced it with volqhartsen part that solved the problem. I bought spare mags in the USA. It rarely jammed and i liked shooting it. You had no problem clipping rabbits out to 100 yards in good conditions of course. There a fun Gun for very few squids. The Jamming problems were caused by THE ORIGINAL poor quality magazine which remington changed. No problems thereafter

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I also have a 597,bought it a year ago from duffys in Galway.
    It has given me loads of trouble with jamming and misfires,thinking of getting the new mags and this does not solve it getting rid of the gun.
    apart from that its a lovely gun and very accurate.
    Cleaning is a nightmare when its time to remove the bolt,the 2 bolt guide rods have screws which the manual tells you they have to be set at a particular torque.
    using cci ammo the gun fouls up pretty fast but they are the most accurate in my gun.
    I would be 50/50 in favour of the 597,if the jamming was fixed then its a fantastic gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I had a 22 Mag in 597 with the newer metal magazines. It never jammed, and was deadly accurate. I have now purchased a remington 597 stainless steel in 22 lr for the bunnies and plinking.

I found the ruger over priced and too short, everyone says if you want to "pimp" your rifle then go for a ruger 10/22, but if you want a sturdy real size 22 semi for bunnies and plinking that has good accuracy out of the box go for the remington 597.

However if you really like 22lr semis and have money buy a rimfire magic special customed to your specs id say youll get change out of €1000

If you want single hole accuracy at 50m go for a anshutz bolt action 22.
    in fact a cz, sako, will do

• Advertisement
Advertisement