Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo on neck

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I don't think any place besides the dodgy ones would do it unless you were heavily tattooed already because it's an extremely visible area.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

What do you want to get done? where on the neck, ?

yup im nosey!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Neck is 1 of the last places you get a taat,think seriously about doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Lornas554 wrote: »
    I wanna get writeing on my neck saying "Only God Can Judge Me", just on the side of my neck.
    Ive being thinking about it for months and made up my mind and really wanna get it, but I can find any tattoo artists that will do it, I dont really get why, it is my body :(

Any reputable and decent tattoo artist will not tattoo anything on a very visible part of your body unless you have a lot of tattoos done already.

The irony being that if you have a tattoo on the side of you neck, you will find lots of people who are very willing to judge you. From prospective employers down to people passing you in the street. You might think you do not care what they think, but when it's something that would almost definitely effect your future employability among many other aspects of you life that you probably haven't even thought of, that is not something that any tattoo artist worth anything would want to be responsible for.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

That will still be a big piece, and it's more than just a teeny heart behind an ear type tattoo which some tattooists would do.

Tattooists are saying no because they don't believe you will be capable of handling the reactions you will get when you get such a visible tattoo. Yes it is your body, but that doesn't stop other people from judging you (ironic considering the words you want), stopping you from getting that job, or giving you disapproving looks as you walk down the street.

If it means that much to you, talk to a tattoo artist and explain your reasoning for it. Why do you feel it necessary to get those particular words in such a visible place? Does the side of your neck hold particular importance to you or would the words mean just as much to you on your wrist/hip/back etc?

If/When they do say no, they should explain their reasoning for it e.g. they don't think you're modified enough to handle a visible tattoo, you're not old enough, it'd be too damn painful as a first tattoo (some tattoo artists won't do big back pieces for first-timers either) or they feel your mammy will be coming into them in a weeks time to give them a lecture about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

that's a whole lot of script for the side of the neck.. also, unless your an artist /work in a creative, openminded line of work, you're going to be working building sites for the rest of your life. i'm just saying it like it is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Tattooing is just like any business, they have a right to refuse, just because you want it doesn't mean they have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I know that but there must be one tattoo artist in this country that will tattoo the neck, Im the one paying them so dont see why the should have any complaints.
    Chances are there never going to see me again so dont see why there worried about my future.

What if you regret the tattoo in, say, six months time??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's a moral issue for them, they do not want to possibly cost someone their job/future jobs, and 99.9% of tattoo artists out there will not do a tattoo that they think that there is a very high chance that the person getting the tattoo will end up regretting.

I really can't see me regretting it to be honest,
    I no lots of people who got tattoo's on their necks and never have regret getting them, but they are all males so I’m starting to feel discriminated against because of my age and sex!.

:rolleyes: It's got nothing to do with age & sex. I have a tattoo on my left arm that I got a couple of years ago. At the time, I thought it was cool, now I think it looks dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I really can't see me regretting it to be honest,
    I no lots of people who got tattoo's on their necks and never have regret getting them, but they are all males so I’m starting to feel discriminated against because of my age and sex!.

You might not see yourself regretting it but you may very well do..
    who's to say you'll always believe in God or believe the message it puts across?

at 18..you're very prone to change imo.

Well I know I will always believe in God no matter what and also that is a Tupac quote so I would like to have it also out of respect for him.

:rolleyes:

Well I know I will always believe in God no matter what and also that is a Tupac quote so I would like to have it also out of respect for him.

You really don't know you'll always believe in God.
    I did at around that age (well, 16/17) and I'm 22 now and I'm a Buddhist..go figure.

erm..yeah ok but..your NECK?!
    I don't think you're thinking this through..

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

OP at 18 do you have any idea what profession you want to go into? Have you looked at people already working in that industry/role? Do they have visible tattoos/mods?

I ask because at 18 I was in college studying Software Engineering, then I went to work as an IT Auditor training to be an accountant and NOW I'm trying to go back to study medicine. Only the first career path *might* have allowed me to have visible tattoos in the workplace.

As an IT auditor I had a managing partner in one of the Big 4 companies stop a staff meeting to double check the stamp I had on my wrist (from Coppers :rolleyes:) wasn't a tattoo I recently acquired! Saying 'oh good, I wouldn't want to have that chat with you'...

You have no idea how this might impact your future career choice and more importantly career options.

Please bear in mind that the tattoo artists have seen these situations before and are perfectly within their rights to say No and avoid the future hassle of you telling people who did your tattoo in the same sentence as complaining that you might have been refused work because of it.

IMO you might be best off contemplating getting your tattoo somewhere you can cover.

jenga-jen wrote: »
    OP at 18 do you have any idea what profession you want to go into? Have you looked at people already working in that industry/role? Do they have visible tattoos/mods?

I ask because at 18 I was in college studying Software Engineering, then I went to work as an IT Auditor training to be an accountant and NOW I'm trying to go back to study medicine. Only the first career path *might* have allowed me to have visible tattoos in the workplace.

As an IT auditor I had a managing partner in one of the Big 4 companies stop a staff meeting to double check the stamp I had on my wrist (from Coppers :rolleyes:) wasn't a tattoo I recently acquired! Saying 'oh good, I wouldn't want to have that chat with you'...

You have no idea how this might impact your future career choice and more importantly career options.

Please bear in mind that the tattoo artists have seen these situations before and are perfectly within their rights to say No and avoid the future hassle of you telling people who did your tattoo in the same sentence as complaining that you might have been refused work because of it.

IMO you might be best off contemplating getting your tattoo somewhere you can cover.

This

I do know I’ll always believe in God trust me.
    My neck is my favourite part of my body and would like something that means alot to me on it.
    And it’s such a true quote and I wanna always be able to look at it when things are hard and stand by it.

How about a nice piece of jewellery instead??

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

What I would recommend you do is have somebody draw this on your neck in the size and style you want.
    Draw it in permanent marker and go over it every single day to ensure it stands out. Also set the design as the background to your phone, and on your computer.

Keep doing this for at least a year. If you can deal with the kind of attention you get from that, if it doesn't affect your job / job prospects, and if you don't get sick of it before then, go for it. The unfortunate reality is that visible tattoos are still seen as "taboo" in today's society, especially where most employers are concerned. This tattoo will have far-reaching consequences and effects in your life and it would be naive to think otherwise..

Draw it on your neck for a year, take pictures of it everyday with you holding that day's newspaper with the date clearly visible, and maybe keep a diary of how people react to you, how you deal with those reactions, and how it affects your everyday life.
    If you still want to get it after all that, go to a reputable tattoo artist, bring him/her in your photos and diary, and show them that you're committed to this tattoo.

Many will likely still say no as your tastes may change in a few years time; but I don't think its for any of us here in the Tattoos & Piercings forum to pass judgement, especially if you take a responsible approach to this. Many of us have gotten tattoos that we've regretted some time down the line, and we know what it feels like to think "sh!t, I really should have put more thought into doing this.."

So take the advice of people on here, most know what they're talking about; at the end of the day, only you can make up your own mind, but do it in a sensible way and take the advice of those more experienced on board! :)

- Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I wanna always be able to look at it when things are hard

In that case you'll need to get it done backwards so you can see it in the mirror, just sayin' :cool:

If you want to be able to read it it'll need to go somewhere you can see, no?

I do know what you are saying; my father and lots of people are telling me I might never get the job I want with it.
    And when I think about I know they are right I want to be a mid-wife and most likely I won’t get a job if I have this tattoo on my neck, So I think I might just get it on the inside of my arm, and if no one will give me a job with that, well they can **** Off.
    Appearances shouldn’t matter.

Appearances shouldn't matter but they do and there's nothing you can do about it.
    You going in with that attitude to anything isn't going to help.

OP, I really think you ought to give this a lot of thought.....?

You should also take a look at some photos of people with tattoos on their neck to see what they look like??

• Advertisement

it's the smartest option.

who knows, in about 5 years now you might be thanking all the tattoo artists who refused to do it on your neck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Your only young. There is no rush at all. You seem fairly mature so Im sure you will sort it out and will be happy with what ya get, whether it be your neck or inside arm. Best of luck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I know we may all sound like condesending lecturers, but I think all of us have been where you are now - 18 and wanting that one tattoo that we thought we'd never hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cheers :)
    Well one day I’m definitely going to get a tattoo on my neck but for now, ill just sick to place where I can cover up.

Hoping to get my neck done aswell at some stage. Wanna get me sleeves done first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

IIRC tattoo's are big no no according to "god"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Lornas554, for what it's worth- I think you've made the right decision in getting the tattoo in a place you can cover up.

For about 4 or 5 years, I was OBSESSED with Tupac, and was particularly interested in his song/ quote "Only God Can Judge Me". For ages, I wanted it tattooed around my wrist. People kept telling me not too, that I'd regret it etc. and although I thought they were all wrong and interfering, something in me waited. Little by little, I started phasing out of the whole gangsta rap scene, and became interested in different music and realising there are many profound and affirming quotes out there. I also realised that it is NOT original to get them marked on one's body for eternity. People will judge you for having a tattoo, they will judge you for having one on your neck and they will judge you (and maybe cringe like I did!) when you mention that it is a quote from a dead rapper. You won't be 18 forever. And it definitly won't be cool forever.

Although it's still a quote I love, and try to believe, I am THRILLED that I did not get it tattooed on my body.

IIRC tattoo's are big no no according to "god"

Climb off your high horse.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Climb off your high horse.

No you climb off yours.Raze was joking.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    No you climb off yours.Raze was joking.

Oops...........sorry. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No worries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement