Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"This is a work experience programme and does not offer a salary"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

In a FAS work placement program, the company that takes you on doesn't pay you a salary, but FAS will pay you the equivalent of job seekers.

Most job ads look for people with experience, this program gives people experience, there is always the possibility of the company keeping the person on too.

Beats sitting on your arse on the dole to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You're unemployed, qualified in IT, don't have much or any experience and can't get a paying job right now. So you go, work for 6 months, get another 6 months more experience under your belt while still being able to draw the dole. Or you can spend potentially 6 months on the dole getting nothing to help you get another job when the economy picks up again.

Seriously, I can't see the problem with this for people eager to break into the industry or who just want something to keep them busy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mediocrity

djk1000 wrote: »
    Beats sitting on your arse on the dole to be honest!

I can think of lots of things to be doing with my time than participating in a real-life "Office Space" charade - for free.

Do they expect you to come to work in presentable clothes, pay for transport and smile to their customers?

Funny how the aspirational classes will do anything (including working for free!) to keep up appearances. Social status is a very powerful force.

nesf wrote: »
    Or you can spend potentially 6 months on the dole getting nothing to help you get another job when the economy picks up again.
    Dim people sit around smoking weed all day. Stupid people wallow in their hopelessness and work for free. Smart people do amazing things with their lives.

Funny how the unions are quite happy to sit back and allow these work practices to go on. Would you buy products/services from a company that paid below minimum wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seems like a good move for a college student looking for their Work Exp component. Its not unheard of for W.E. programmes in college not to pay you.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    You get the dole, which is hardly nothing.

Plus you get experience, which will help you get a new job after 6 months.

What would you rather have on your CV, a 6 month gap with no work or a 6 month placement in the field you want a job in?

Lol. I imagine you'd work for free then eh?

Luckily I'm not on the dole either, but there's no way I would work for free. It would send the employer the wrong impression of me as a man. I'm not a walk-over. If you want my services, you pay me properly.

You wouldn't expect a plumber or a handyman to work for free. Why do people think they can get free IT services from people? It's like when your friends and family ask you to "fix" their computers cos they know you have advanced degrees in computer science. I'm not prepared to sit around for half a day to back up their data, reformat their hard disk and reinstall all their applications to suit their exact specifications, when I could be doing other things. I am currently paying an design professional €1,200 for 1.5 days' consulation and I have no problem with this. If he had a bunch of FAS people on €200 a week "working" for him, I would not do business with him.

Overheal wrote: »
    Seems like a good move for a college student looking for their Work Exp component. Its not unheard of for W.E. programmes in college not to pay you.

Would you work for free? The DART is €2 one-way. That's €15 to €20 a week off your dole. Also you like spending your Sunday evenings ironing shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ironing Shirts? Raaandommm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Does seem to be extracting the urine. my mother who has no leaving cert or college went on a back to work scheme through FAS and did a few weeks unpaid in a big company and ended up landing a very well paying job with the company she did work experience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mediocrity wrote: »
    Dim people sit around smoking weed all day. Stupid people wallow in their hopelessness and work for free. Smart people do amazing things with their lives.

And getting more experience under your belt to help you get a job later on isn't a good idea? Yeah the money is **** but it's not like you don't get something to put on your CV by the end of it. If I was a new CS grad that couldn't get a graduate program placement I'd be applying without hesitation. Ditto if I was unemployed and looking to get out of "call centre" style work in the sector etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

also meant to say that everyone i knew in college doing work experience got paid for it once it was a longish duration such as 6 months-year. I doubt the job advertised above would ever turn into a full time job. If the company cant afford or wont bother hiring a grad on min wage now(loads of grads willing to work min wage now) then they wont do it in 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You wouldn't expect a plumber or a handyman to work for free. Why do people think they can get free IT services from people? It's like when your friends and family ask you to "fix" their computers cos they know you have advanced degrees in computer science. I'm not prepared to sit around for half a day to back up their data, reformat their hard disk and reinstall all their applications to suit their exact specifications, when I could be doing other things. I am currently paying an design professional €1,200 for 1.5 days' consulation and I have no problem with this. If he had a bunch of FAS people on €200 a week "working" for him, I would not do business with him.

They aren't really looking for services for free. If you do the work experience they'll probably hire you afterwards. The main problem is in IT it takes 6 months to train someone on your system in many places so some small companies can't afford to pay someone for 6 months of what is essentially training. So people work for free to try to get into a full time position.

Personally I've never done it but I got a good work experience in college and my course was good so I was offered jobs coming out of college.

I was made redundant from my previous job and my employer came back 3 months later offering to let me work voluntarily for them. I declined that TBH because I was insulted that they'd ask me to work my previous position for free.

For someone with absolutely no experience and a reasonable qualification, it can be a good option. Some small companies just can't afford to train people TBH and for the first 6 months in IT, your basically in training. Its very likely that the company would take you on permanently after you got up to speed on all their systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This is a choice you can do it or not do it. Wether you want to do it or not at least the oppurtunity is there. Most countries are all about contacts you make no contacts in the dole office.

In essence this is a chance to impress people you are a good employment option.

If you don't want to do it no one is forcing anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Looks like a choice between sitting on your arse moaning that you can't get a job because you have no experience, or doing something about it.

When you are unemployed, you need to have something that goves you an advantage over other people seeking the same job, this looks to be one way of doing just that.

If you start your career as a pushover, you'll end it as a pushover.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

This scheme is a half-baked response by the govt to deal with levels of joblessness among the under 25s. Also a nice one for business, here the banks won't lend you any money but the govt have these scheme whereby you can employ qualified people for nothing. This is no help at all to the overall unemployment situation, I mean this has to be an anti-employment measure. Its a bit like CE schemes and Local Training Initiatives - some groups just get away with using these schemes for years and never hiring any staff under better terms, there's usually a very well paid manager at the top. Was looking at the WPP opportunities in Clare/Limk/Tipp on the site, see one there for Journal Publishing Co-ordinator in Shannon, the company isn't named but it has to be Elsevier when you read the description as its scientific publishing. Like most companies the Elservier Reed group are a bit down on profits but they are still very profitable, but sure why hire people who already have the experience and qualifications to do the job when you get someone for nothing. After the six months there is nothing stopping the company from re-advertising the WPP and continuing to gain free labour for the post. I think its horse**** anyway.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't understand why you're so implacably opposed to this scheme.

If someone is a recently-qualified graduate with no work experience and no job offers, you evidently feel that they shouldn't take up this scheme to gain work experience. What do you think they should do instead? Sit at home on the dole? Which do you think would look better on their CV?

As an employer, I know which I'd rather see.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

katkin wrote: »
    This scheme is a half-baked response by the govt to deal with levels of joblessness among the under 25s.
    What should the government have done instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

Speaking as an employer, I've taken on interns during the recession, people of very high calibre, and I've turned away plenty more. They've had to work hard for me. But those who have proven themselves have full time, paid positions with me.

I see it as firstly a chance for us to trade real world experience for their time and effort - though it is an education for them, and takes time for us to teach, too. Secondly, it can be an extended job interview.

When looking to hire people these days, I look and see what they've done with their time. People who've taken work experience or worked with non-profits on a voluntary basis are beating the folks sitting at home with nothing to show for themselves every time I look for talent, or any of the business managers I know look for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nonsense!
    I'm curious to know roughly what age you are. This thread stinks of people who never knew what it was like when it was really difficult to get a job! When you do a work placement, it gives the company an opportunity to see you and also gives you and opportunity to see the company. The idea behind it is not for the company to find a pushover who will work for next to nothing whilst demoralised and ending up leaving within a few months, it is to find someone who is eager, has the right attitude and skills, is prepared to learn, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

If start your morning sitting on your arse, you'll end your evening sitting on your arse.

Mediocrity - your philosophical replies doesnt make your points anymore valid.

The point is simple - while working for this company you ARE getting paid - you are being paid "jobseekers allowance" - keep in mind, trainning and placement is considered part of jobseeking.

http://www.fas.ie/en/Allowances+and+Grants/default.htm I realise that you dont have much spare time in the day- I can't begin to imagine how busy you are - however if you did have time and managed to read the above FAS link, you would have read this:

"Participants of the majority of FÁS training courses are eligible for different allowances. The main allowances are given for the course participants' Training, Travel, Accommodation and Meals, and Childcare."

So stop moaning about your bus and lunch and get a damn job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Oh totally agree here.. My career started off stacking shelves and mopping floors in Aldi and tesco and its has taken a horrible spiral downwards to a Network Engineer in a large company...

oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

It's so insulting when people assist you in becoming more employable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Oh totally agree here.. My career started off stacking shelves and mopping floors in Aldi and tesco and its has taken a horrible spiral downwards to a Network Engineer in a large company...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.. suppose it can happen to any of us.

:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Any chance you might define your interpretation of a 'pushover'.

I find your attitude interesting.

After a very short while, these "give us your qualifications for free" schemes will become the norm rather than the exception. Big business will expect it rather than being seen to be "offering experience".

It's a slippery slope. If young people accept this kind of exploitation, then what else will they take up the ass? Frankly, the PAYE worker would be better off if these so-called bright young people fecked off elsewhere. Somewhere like India or Pakistan where they can work for free to their heart's content. The ordinary decent worker is better off without them.

As I said before, it's amazing what the aspirational classes will subject themselves to in order to keep up appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As opposed to not starting a career at all!?!

Is it not better to die fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

After a very short while, these "give us your qualifications for free" schemes will become the norm rather than the exception. Big business will expect it rather than being seen to be "offering experience".

It's a slippery slope. If young people accept this kind of exploitation, then what else will they take up the ass? Frankly, the PAYE worker would be better off if these so-called bright young people fecked off elsewhere. Somewhere like India or Pakistan where they can work for free to their heart's content. The ordinary decent worker is better off without them.

As I said before, it's amazing what the aspirational classes will subject themselves to in order to keep up appearances.

wow - I can see now why you are unemployed. After much thought, I think its better that you stay on social welfare.

wow - I can see now why you are unemployed. After much thought, I think its better that you stay on social welfare.

Ah yes, attitudes such as this only add to the social stigma of being unemployed. Actually, I'm writing a paper at the moment. What are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Working for free always struck me as a bad idea. Unpaid internships etc tend to make is difficult for poorer people to get a foot in the door so to speak, as some people simply can't work for fee, as they have to eat, pay bills etc.

However, in this care, at least you do get Job seekers allowance, so isn't as bad, and the experience will be useful. Still, I think instead of a unpaid internship with job seekers allowance, people should at least get the minimum wage, which I don't think a too outrageous thing to ask.

Advertisement