Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nooooo!!!!!!!

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5452226/no-new-half+life-coming-in-2010-says-game-informer

*click play, then read*

The latest issue of Game Informer magazine has a bit of potential bad news for Gordon Freeman fans, casting doubt on the release of Half-Life 2: Episode Three in 2010. Specifically, Game Informer's rumor-centric Loose Talk column notes that there "won't be any game from the [Half-Life] franchise in 2010, and what will finally come out is still unknown," implying that the next entry in the series could be either Episode Three or Half-Life 3.
    Valve is well past the estimated time of arrival for Episode Three, a blown date we didn't expect after the release of concept art for that episode in 2008.
    The developer has plenty to focus on in 2010 with Left 4 Dead 2 (and Left 4 Dead) downloadable content en route, as well as at least one more Team Fortress 2 update. And if Valve really is creating a character that speaks with sign language, those claims of the next Half-Life being an "ambitious product" sound legit.

Send an email to Michael McWhertor, the author of this post, at mike@kotaku.com.

Lets just say, I googled Noooo and was fullly prepared to post every related image and youtube clip at the bottom this thread.

For the sake of brevity, I will just say: Damnit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

So much for releasing the HL2 sequel faster in episodic format :(

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

They must be working on a new engine. Everything on the orange box plus L4D 1 & 2 all seem to run on the same engine. I wouldn't want another crappy episode, I'd rather wait for HL3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO what?

lets see something new instead....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was there anyone who really thought they would see Episode 3 anytime in the near future? I didn't & had given up hope a while ago.

I would hazzard a guess that the next time you'll see the universe of Half Life, it'll be powered by the next version of Source. Don't forget; the last time Valve went this quiet over a franchise (in this case, HL1 & Team Fortress Classic), they popped up out of nowhere with a brand new shiny engine. With the Orange Box they upgraded the Source engine a little, so it's not like there's no precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Half Life 2 episodes... Meh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Damnit.

As much as I like TF2 and L4D, could they not take a back burner for a few months? Please Valve? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, again going by precedent, if you want to figure out what Valve's next "new" IP could be, I'd say the best bet is to find the niche / unique indie dev teams who have something interesting to offer. Left 4 Dead, Portal - hell even Counterstrike - all come from those avenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have yet to play episode 1 or 2 or lost coast. Am i really missing out?

In fact it was an effort to finish HL2 for me. Same old single player shooter. All the same to me recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Boooo :(

Valve really took this 'fast release episodic content' idea and slapped us around the face with it, didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

least we'll have blackmesa to keep us entertained. oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Grimebox wrote: »
    I have yet to play episode 1 or 2 or lost coast. Am i really missing out?

In fact it was an effort to finish HL2 for me. Same old single player shooter. All the same to me recently

Not really, I really think the story to HL2 is fairly crap.

HL1 was brillant when it first came out and due to the success of its mods like Counter Strike and Day of Defeat it continued to be used for a long time.
    HL2 was also good, mainly as it was the first game to really use physics but since then it has become very dated. Other then Portal which came with the orange box, there is no really need to look at episode 1/2 and I thought Lost Coast was just a free HDR demo ...till I noticed they are actually selling it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quad_red wrote: »
    Boooo :(

Valve really took this 'fast release episodic content' idea and slapped us around the face with it, didn't they?

It seemed like an amazing new direction to take at the time. However it's failed fro everyone that has used the delivery method except for Telltale games and their adventure games and even they had a rocky start. I still remember getting burned by Sin episodes, although in that case episodic gaming would have worked because after trying the crappy first episode I wasn't buying the next ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well I for one am looking forward to Left 4 dead 3, 4, 5......:(. I suppose that Valve have hit upon a successful franchise with those games and what makes them money will always win out in the end because they are a business after all. May be some time before we see anything about Half life ever again. Hopefully Black Mesa will be coming out soon. It was penned in for before Christmas so it must be somewhere near close........

Advertisement