Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special lamps that simulate sunlight..Where to get one?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 5:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    Don't know if this is the best thread or the worst but here goes.
    I heard Gerry Ryan the other night talking about a bulb you can get that simulates sunlight..people suffering from SAD use it I believe. I work night shift and haven't seen sunlight since the 27th of August last, that's a exaggeration but its seems like that!
    Anyway, if anyone know anything about this type of light or where I could get one, do let me know.
    thanks,
    Penny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

What are you growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

not sure how appropriate a forum this is, but have heard of those boxes, OP.
    Light therapy is a way to treat seasonal affective disorder, depression and certain other conditions by exposure to bright artificial light. During light therapy, you sit or work near a device called a light therapy box. The light therapy box gives off bright light that mimics natural outdoor light.

Exposure to bright light from a light therapy box is thought to alter your circadian rhythms and suppress your body's natural release of melatonin. Together, these cause biochemical changes in your brain that help reduce or control symptoms of seasonal affective disorder and other conditions. Light therapy is also known as bright light therapy or phototherapy.

here's a link to a site selling related products. i can't verify its reliability or anything, just did a quick google :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

:eek::eek:

Daywalker!!

I'm still looking for the lamp that can create darkness.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Amazon.co.uk have loads of things called SAD lights - probably what you are looking - lots of different types and prices - could be a good place to start - free delivery to ROI for over £25 (select super saver).

Failing that contact the Gerry Ryan show or their website and see if they have posted any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

They are EVIL and wrong.....

All your body needs is Black Light.......

sUz7t.jpg
    penny1001 wrote: »
    Hi
    Don't know if this is the best thread or the worst but here goes.
    I heard Gerry Ryan the other night talking about a bulb you can get that simulates sunlight..people suffering from SAD use it I believe. I work night shift and haven't seen sunlight since the 27th of August last, that's a exaggeration but its seems like that!
    Anyway, if anyone know anything about this type of light or where I could get one, do let me know.
    thanks,
    Penny

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Be careful not to buy a sunlamp - they make UV and shouldn't be used without goggles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Red Alert wrote: »
    Be careful not to buy a sunlamp - they make UV and shouldn't be used without goggles!

Yeah and crappy versions of Vampires don't like UV light either. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

art supply type shops have light bulbs that give of light the same colour as normal daylight. you use them for doing paintings indoors so the tungsten or florescent light doesn't mess up the colours that you see.
    they're not expensive and they're basicly just a clear light bulb with a slight blue tinge

shouldnt this be in the sunshine and lollypops forum? :pac:

These should work to protect you from the Evil UV Rays of DOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!:

Zdbk1.jpg
    Red Alert wrote: »
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yeah and crappy versions of Vampires don't like UV light either. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sorry OP, could you explain this concept to me?

You want MORE sunlight?

It's the flamey cancer ball. It's the destroyer of worlds and souls. It is the little death, the nostril flare of a demon.

It's the annoying itchy collar on the new jumper of the universe. It is the left up toilet seat in the cosmology of the shared apartment.

I don't understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I get where the op is coming from and think its a great idea. Lotta human nocturnals out there too,and they seems to need sunlight. Could also help in the mixed noc relationship front where one is combustable in daylight and the other is hooman. Great idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Those daylight bulbs are available from most Woodies type DIY places, though I'm not 100% sure if it's what you're after... the ones I'm thinking of are the arts&crafts type of bulb (clear with a blue hint to simulate daylight, mentioned above) but I'm not sure if they would replicate the effects of sunlight or if it's just a colour thing.
    Some of them were fitted around the house and I couldn't stand the things, I'm too accustomed to the warm yellow glow of standard lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Argos! 61-4327318A72UC598971M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Argos! 61-4327318A72UC598971M.jpg
    haha. oh argos.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Nerin wrote: »
    haha. oh argos.

Good, keep the list of places I need to destroy coming.

Stupid cancer ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Sorry OP, could you explain this concept to me?

You want MORE sunlight?

It's the flamey cancer ball. It's the destroyer of worlds and souls. It is the little death, the nostril flare of a demon.

It's the annoying itchy collar on the new jumper of the universe. It is the left up toilet seat in the cosmology of the shared apartment.

I don't understand!
    I could have sworn that fear was the little death :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

"i must not fear, fear is the mindkiller, fear is the little death that brings total oblivion."

peter puppy.

got a point there kazuma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

"i must not fear, fear is the mindkiller, fear is the little death that brings total oblivion."

peter puppy.

got a point there kazuma.

And yer man from Dune... with his worm roidin' ways :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

there are full spectrum fluorescent bulbs available which fit into a normal fluorescent light and emit full spectrum i.e. natural light. I have two of them in different rooms in my house. Well worth getting. Cost about €50 for two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Kazuma wrote: »
    I could have sworn that fear was the little death :confused:

Actually ...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Sun Jar! \o/

http://www.glow-sticks.org/Sun-Jar.html?source=Google-Adwords&kw=Sun-Jar

My friend has one, it's actually quite cute, you leave the solar panels in the sunshine and then during the night the jar is full of sunshine, lollipops and rainbows that sparkle! :pac:

Troll, This is NOT the Forum You Are Looking For......

-> Please return to your own sector....

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Sun Jar! \o/

http://www.glow-sticks.org/Sun-Jar.html?source=Google-Adwords&kw=Sun-Jar

My friend has one, it's actually quite cute, you leave the solar panels in the sunshine and then during the night the jar is full of sunshine, lollipops and rainbows that sparkle! :pac:

Advertisement