Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking geforce 7950gtx on 190c

Options
  • 20-01-2010 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

hello all...
    I've heard about baking your damaged graphics card in the oven for a few minutes at 190 degrees celsius and it's supposed to fix it. well i have had a geforce 7950gtx that was showing blue and red and green lines going through the screen which i knew was a graphics card failure. so i looked up alot of sites and they were going on about this baking the card thing. so i followed instructions as were......

take laptop apart/remove the graphics card/remove the heatsink from the card processor and clean the thermol compound from the heatsink and processor. so i done that. then i put the oven, which was fan assisted to 190 degrees celsius for 10 minutes to get it to a stable temperature. then i put the graphics card on a heat resistant plastic (something you would find in a large pizza you would buy from the shop). and cooked it for 5 minutes exactually. after this five minutes i turned off the oven left the oven door shut for an extra 4 minutes for the heat to cool down naturally. when the 4 minutes was up i opened the oven door and left the card (without moving it) for an extra 20 minutes so the solder would be able to set.

then after 20 minutes i flipped the card over and done the same again...cook for 5 minutes etc... and i have to say it works perfect. i have being running intensive games and benchmarks on the card now for 6 hours and it's perfectly fine. so i was wondering if any of you have had the same results with this crazy experiment ?

this is a picture of the graphics card and a picture of the sad compound job nvidia done before i cleaned it all off with dificulty. he definatly put to much compound on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Well done

Have not had to do it my self as i dont have a broken video card. But yes i have read about people doing it on a-lot of sites. They also say that this only helps to extend the cards life and it might die in the near future. You might be lucky and it will keep going for some years to come... only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Well done

Have not had to do it my self as i dont have a broken video card. But yes i have read about people doing it on a-lot of sites. They also say that this only helps to extend the cards life and it might die in the near future. You might be lucky and it will keep going for some years to come... only time will tell.

it's a mad one i have to say. must be the solder contacts are weak when they build these cards. well i will see how it goes for the coming future. i will update if it goes again just to see how long it lasts.but it's going grand still and i'm throwing graphical benchmarks at it still. plenty of heat to check the stability fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

zenno wrote: »
    it's a mad one i have to say. must be the solder contacts are weak when they build these cards. well i will see how it goes for the coming future. i will update if it goes again just to see how long it lasts.but it's going grand still and i'm throwing graphical benchmarks at it still. plenty of heat to check the stability fingers crossed.

Couple of people i know have been doing this on Boards,nice to see it has a high success rate :D

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Couple of people i know have been doing this on Boards,nice to see it has a high success rate :D

it sure does deano. thats why i tried it because of so many people saying it worked for them. i read one poster on some gaming site saying his graphics card is still going strong after 6 months from doing this thing. so it does sound promising. well the main thing is it works but im curious to see how long it will stand up to the test.

it sure does deano. thats why i tried it because of so many people saying it worked for them. i read one poster on some gaming site saying his graphics card is still going strong after 6 months from doing this thing. so it does sound promising. well the main thing is it works but im curious to see how long it will stand up to the test.

Well,I told one of the lads on boards (sorry,cant remember your name :o ) about it and he successfully baked his 8800GTX,and that was well before Christmas,last I heard it as still going strong

Only thing I can find wrong with this is the stupid mental image of someone standing at the oven,spatula in hand,flipping a graphics card...damn imagination :D:p

• Advertisement

LOL yeah that was me on my hunkers looking into the oven for 5 minutes wondering if the temperature was high enough or if it's cooking alright, i had to laugh.

LOL yeah that was me on my hunkers looking into the oven for 5 minutes wondering if the temperature was high enough or if it's cooking alright, i had to laugh.

Does it smell at all,out of interest ? :p

Does it smell at all,out of interest ? :p

no it doesn't smell. the smell you get off any curcuit board normally without doing this is the same. no burning smell cause it is not in the oven long enough to burn and melt anything. thats why it's important to take time calculations of 5 minutes cooking and 4 minutes with oven turned off with door shut. if it was a pizza left on that extra bit longer than usual it would be burnt lol so time is critical.

i sound like gordon ramsay.

no it doesn't smell. the smell you get off any curcuit board normally without doing this is the same. no burning smell cause it is not in the oven long enough to burn and melt anything. thats why it's important to take time calculations of 5 minutes cooking and 4 minutes with oven turned off with door shut. if it was a pizza left on that extra bit longer than usual it would be burnt lol so time is critical.

i sound like gordon ramsay.

Gordon Ramsay is fine,when you start adding spices and stuff to your graphics card like Jamie Oliver,then you might have a problem :p:D

Gordon Ramsay is fine,when you start adding spices and stuff to your graphics card like Jamie Oliver,then you might have a problem :p:D

hahahaha yeah thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The common beleif is that this is caused by microfractures in the solder, and it appears to be an all to frequent issue with geforce cards.

I got a free dell box with a dead("dying") 8800GTX. To my surprise the oven trick worked.
    Video:

I preheated fully to 200C and then cooked for 8 mins. Opened the door, turned off the elements and left to cool for 20, then another 20 on my desk.

I bought a 8800GTS for E20 on ebay that is giving the same symptoms. Acts very similarly on boot. Havent baked it yet as I've been to lazy to pull out all the somewhat tidy cabling in order to test it afterwards. There's a good chance it wont work, but if it does I'll get another one for cheap s I can use the pair in SLI in a build I plan on doing during the summer:)

If yu've tried everything else and its out of warranty then there is nothing to loose by trying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Music for that vid is the best! lol :D

Certainly one of the more interesting ways to fix a computer :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The common beleif is that this is caused by microfractures in the solder, and it appears to be an all to frequent issue with geforce cards.

But then wouldn't putting it in the oven cause the solder to oxidise further? Solder generally performs worse when reheated if I'm not mistaken?

But then wouldn't putting it in the oven cause the solder to oxidise further? Solder generally performs worse when reheated if I'm not mistaken?

From what I understand of it, under normal circumstances the solder heats and cools very unevenly and you get cracking, like an ice cube dropped into room temperature water:D When you heat it to 200 the solder pretty much liquefies and removes these cracks, the trick is to cool it steadily.

Just did it on the GTS. And it worked!

I'm gonna order me some more broken cards:)

well i tought i'd give an update on this. and it's a while now since i baked the card and it is still working perfect. so it looks like it has fixed it good.

well another update. this fix lasted a while but the graphics card has failed again tonight 07/06/2010 so it looks like another baking is in order. it done well but i'll try it again and see how long it lasts, so it wasn't a permanant fix.

ok I just baked it again but a little longer this time... 10 minutes on 190 * celsius turned off oven at this time and left door shut for 5 minutes and opened door after the 5 minutes and left it to cool down for 35 minutes. took it out and left it for another 15 minutes in the air in the room and put it back in the laptop and it's working again. i can't believe i didnt see this before, on the heatsinks on each end of the graphics card there was black like plastic tape that was covering the two heatsinks on each end when i looked more closely i was wondering how the hell the heat was supposed to dissapate while this plastic tape was covering all around the heatsinks, i took off all the black plastic and i will see how things go from today onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just after baking my 9800 GX2 and it works perfectly. Can't believe this actually works. Hopefully I'll get a bit longer out of this card cause I havent got the money to replace it at the minute.

Mates card just died, gonna do it for him methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Gonna try this myself with my 9800GTX. Is everyone taking off the heatsink and then after the baking, reapplying thermal paste before putting the heatsink/fan back on?

Really wanted to try this now but I've no thermal paste :o

• Advertisement

Yip heatsink off, clean all thermal paste off, bake, reapply thermal paste and heatsink and enjoy!

Sounds tasty! Guess I'll have to buy some thermal paste ;)

cheers man, I did watch it though already, after all, you did post it in this thread earlier :p hehe :pac:

I'm a video Pimp :p

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

After baking download and install 18kfangui. It's a very clever programme that allows you set the temp. at which the fans come on and go fast and slow. Go to options- tempreture control and tick GPU. There is a 64 bit version but it don't work so good. I baked my son's 7900gs card and installed this but it still went faulty. I then baked it agin and set the temps. lower and so far so good.

Well I finally tried my 9800GTX

Before I tried I tested it one last time, second I turn on the PC I see artifacts even on the bios load up screen.

So anyway, took off the heat sink, cleared off the thermal paste. pre heated the oven to 200 for 10 mins and put card in on some tinfoil (with rolled up balls of tin foil under it to raise it)

Left it in there for 10 mins at 200, turned off the oven left it for 5 mins, opened the oven and left it for another 5.

I decided I'd test it 1st before putting the heat sink back on. Tested it there and my monitor just doesn't turn on as if my cards not even there :(

Damn.

What can I do but try putting it in the oven again for longer at a higher setting? :(

Are you sure it seated right?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

I fixed my mates PS3 by baking the motherboard in the oven, still working after 3 months.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Well I finally tried my 9800GTX

Before I tried I tested it one last time, second I turn on the PC I see artifacts even on the bios load up screen.

So anyway, took off the heat sink, cleared off the thermal paste. pre heated the oven to 200 for 10 mins and put card in on some tinfoil (with rolled up balls of tin foil under it to raise it)

Left it in there for 10 mins at 200, turned off the oven left it for 5 mins, opened the oven and left it for another 5.

I decided I'd test it 1st before putting the heat sink back on. Tested it there and my monitor just doesn't turn on as if my cards not even there :(

Damn.

What can I do but try putting it in the oven again for longer at a higher setting? :(

dude you have to follow instructions as is. under no circumstances should you put tinfoil anywere near the circuit board. i always use one of those heat coasters that you get with a chicago town large pizza from the shop and it doesn't melt or heat to much, stick the card on one of these or something simular. well as usual you need new compound simple as that. arctic silver is a great compound only use a good one. the name of the game is when at the last part of heating, do not move the graphics card at all for at least 35 minutes. this will allow for the solder to jellow into itself stabily this is important, you don't want cracks appearing in the solder. good luck with the fix. hope it works out for you.

Advertisement