Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking geforce 7950gtx on 190c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The guide I followed used tin foil, as did I, worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Tried it again, baked it for 20 mins this time. Left it for 30+ mins. Same ****...

So annoying, wish I could at least see if the artifacts are still there rather then no monitor turning on. Bah.

Never bothered putting the heatsink back on , whats the point unless it works.

I guess whatever it was that caused my card to stop working isnt the same as what happened to everyone else.:(

I know it can't be anything else with my pc since my 6800GS runs perfectly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sisko wrote: »
    Never bothered putting the heatsink back on , whats the point unless it works.

Failblog time :o The GPU would have completely cooked off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Solitaire wrote: »
    Failblog time :o The GPU would have completely cooked off :eek:

quite... 3 minutes or so and it would fry up under stress, if it makes it that long at all

I'm aware of this, if my monitor turned on and I saw no artifacts within 30 seconds I would have turned it off, added new thermal paste and screwed the heatsink/fan back on knowing my card was fixed.

Since I can tell instantly if its fixed or not , I wasnt gonna sit there putting back the heatsink and adding thermal paste not knowing if it had been fixed.

All I needed to see was the boot up bios screen.

• Advertisement

If it doesn't do work in up to 10 mins then it wont work. The idea is short burst of great heat rather than prolonged exposure.

Some you just gotta bin.

Was worth a shot though eh? Guess I gotta get a new card so :( Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

thats a shame dude. ah well at least you tried. yeah something different happened your card by the looks of it. i would try it one more time if i was you but this time put the thermal paste on it and screw it back together and double check all connections on the mobo just to be sure man. i'm just pulling at straws at this stage, but did you flip the card over during the heating process ? if not i would try that for the last time. don't overcook it just stick with the normal time.

The guide I followed used tin foil, as did I, worked a treat.

i know lethal bullet, but using tinfoil could short the components if the tinfoil touches other resisters or capacitors. well it worked for you so happy days. always be careful though.

zenno wrote: »
    i know lethal bullet, but using tinfoil could short the components if the tinfoil touches other resisters or capacitors. well it worked for you so happy days. always be careful though.

How? Even by thermionic emission the current is going to be almost nil. Shorting isnt an issue.

• Advertisement

How? Even by thermionic emission the current is going to be almost nil. Shorting isnt an issue.

yes almost nill but not compleately drained of current hense what i was saying there is a possability of short circuit. i work in electronics and i can assure you even a minute stalled current hours after a so called complete discharge can cause a problem. so we never take the chance. rule no. 1

Capacitors can be a ***** :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CompExpert

The point is if the gpu is not soldiered then you put it in the oven for 20 mins and it should work but DONT PUT THE whole card just the gpu unit because you can "bake" some other parts. I've tried it and it works. :)

CompExpert wrote: »
    but DONT PUT THE whole card just the gpu unit because you can "bake" some other parts.

Just the GPU unit eh? Which part would that be now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Quam

Just the GPU unit eh? Which part would that be now?

Take off the cooling, etc.

Quam wrote: »
    Take off the cooling, etc.

ETC? Which part would that be now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

ETC? Which part would that be now?

He means everything must be taken off. Just leaving the PCB , so the main cooler, memory coolers and VRM coolers as well, you may need to also remove the PCI bracket, I'm not sure about the bracket however.

well this card went again. now this xps laptop did come with windows xp on it but the card only started to fail when i installed windows 7 64-bit ages ago and i have noticed it releases more heat with win 7 64 bit so i done the card again and it's working fine now but this time i just put the operating system back to xp and there is less heat so i will see if it works out ok from here on.

aero and win 7 are stressing the card by the looks of it so hope this xp works ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Install and run 18kfangui. I'm running Win 7 32bit on a Del 7950GtX. I tried 64bit but I couldn't get 18kfangui to run properly. There is a problem getting the driver signed. I wouldn't run an XPS without 18kfangui. As far as I'm aware my card has never been baked. I think that once the cards go once baking is only a tempory fix.

thanks for the tip on that program "panorton" i'll definately try that. anything to keep the system cool. cheers.

well i installed that program there and put the fans to fast if that doesn't cool the card down i don't know what will. i set it to run on high/fast speed at startup and works great. heres hoping the card keeps working. but you are right once the card goes it does seem like you only get a week out of it before it goes again time will tell with this fan enhancement. thanks again i never even knew that program existed.

• Advertisement

I thought while i was browsing boards i would stick an update in here'

the card is still running fine now with that program 18kfangui I changed the settings for the fullspeed fans to come on when the graphics cards temperature gets to 50 celcius and when this happens the fans kick in until the temperature goes down below 40 c and i have to say it seems to be doing the job well. no problems so far.

Forgot to update this. 11 Months after first baking it my 8800GTX finally bit the virtual bullet during a game of CSS. Out comes the baking tray once more.

If I can hit 18 months total I'd be well chuffed. Cant complain as I got the whole box for free. In 7 months I should have meself an i7 rig and it wont matter.

I <3 my oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dannydublin80

Hi Lethal Bullet, just want to say that you're a credit to the internet!

Excellent vid, I have an Nvidia Geforce 7950GTX that seems to have fried up due to overheating in an M1710..

I've been looking around for a fix and came across this oven baking mullarkey, but didn't think it was for real! I'm going to give it a go and see what happens! I'll have to buy a replacement anyway, so there's nothing to lose really..

Is your card still running ok?

Cheers!
    Danny.

Thanks Danny. Got several very positive responses to the first video and 24,000 hits, glad to have helped.

Seems to be fine. Have been playing L4D2(€6.50 on steam a few weeks ago:D) a good bit over the last few days. Only issues I encountered were lag spikes yesterday which I tracked down to media streaming over to the 360.

As the card has been baked twice now I'm going to try and keep it as cool as possible. Its mad how fast the dust builds up. Its worth taking ten minutes every couple of months to remove the bulk of the build up.

If/when it goes again I'll update this thread. Or when I find a faulty 9800 going cheap:p

well the card is still working fine after baking it last month for the third time hehe. that program 18kfangui is keeping the xps m1710 nice and cool and have had zero problems so far. will update next month if still working.

Over did it. Tried NFS Hot Pursuit. BSOD'd twice. Left it. Then accidentally hit the toolbar icon an hour later. Game boots, crahses, gpu ****ed.

Damn.

sorry to hear that. well you have nothing to lose by trying the bake again just to make sure. this xps m1710 is still going strong. no problems at all yet and it's been a good while now. fingers crossed.

Basically up to 13 months now. Will get thermal paste on monday and try again :D

Interestingly it seems to freak just before 70*C, which seems a bit low. Meanwhile my CPU was at 22*C :p

I see. well wait till you get some thermal paste and give it another try but let it cool this time after baking for an hour and a half just so the solder can set properly. the solder might be a bit weaker now after all the times it was baked. if you are not baking it on both sides i would suggest you try that on both sides. definately worth another shot though. good luck and i hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

IIRC there's an issue where part of the die (the glassy, glue-like stuff actually) fails (turns to jello!) past 70°C if repeatedly exposed to extreme thermal stresses so repeatedly using the oven trick to deal with the bad bumps issue will give diminishing returns as it reduces the card's overall thermal tolerance! :o

Advertisement