Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking geforce 7950gtx on 190c

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well he has nothing to lose either way. if the card is already causing problems no harm in trying the bake again.

update: the geforce 7950gtx card just died again today but i inserted it into the oven again for the forth time in the year and whalla it's working still lol. it lasted 3 months the last time so if i get another 3 months out of this then happy days. i put arctic silver compound on the chip this time. well i don't mind taking the laptop apart every three months to bake the card but if it was every week or two i would just give up and buy a new one so once every three months is ok in doing this.

LOL i have to say the durability of this graphics card is astounding.

it went again 2 days ago' so i cooked it' and lo and behold it worked again and is fine.

at this stage i should create a tv program to show how to get the best tastiest cooked graphics card around. this card just goes on and on with amazing temperature stresses each time. it's strange though how it seems to last 3 months exactly all the time. anywho once it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GTX has been down a while, been using the GTS. Works fine except Paradise which crashes after about 90 mins every time. Doesnt seem to get excessively hot though....memory issue?
    Will rebake the GTX again when I get round to getting paste(probs soon as I have to find me a thermal switch for an amp so I can get em both in one order).

Works fine except Paradise which crashes after about 90 mins every time. Doesnt seem to get excessively hot though....memory issue?

man i don't have an answer for that one' seems strange that it crashes every 90 minutes though. are you working on an overclocked cpu ? overclocked memory timings?. if it lasts 90 minutes and crashes like you say then all i can think of is a heat issue' of course i could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Will rebake the GTX again when I get round to getting paste(probs soon as I have to find me a thermal switch for an amp so I can get em both in one order).

cool. yeh good luck with the bake as it will work again. even if it lasted you like my own card for 3 months then happy days. try and get arctic silver if you can it's good compound.

that other program I used for fan control called 18kfangui didn't seem to do anything to help cool the card so i don't use it now at all.

another thing is when i took the heatsink apart on the last bake there, I inspected the circuit board more closely and the round rings on the board that the four screws go into to hold the heatsink in place were covered in a dark yellow coating of gunk' so i thought seen that the heatsink connects to the silver round holes as well as the processor then maybe by cleaning the silver round connectors would give the heatsink a better connected state to disapate the heat properly.

but who know's it might not but worth a try so i done that and will see how it goes this time around. if it lasts longer than 3 months this time then it will seem it done something. :D

one more thing' if this card goes again I am thinking of cooking it again and modifying the cooling system myself just as an experiment. lets just hope that i don't have to LOL.

I've done this 4 times recently with 4 different cards, all worked fine. Three were laptops, an Acer Aspire 5520 (9300M GS), Aspire 7720 (8400M GS) and a Dell XPS M1210 (Go 7400), while the desktop card was a 9800GT. However I used a heat gun rather than the oven. All had excessive dust in the heatsinks which I think contributed to the failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iamno1

The other day I lost my second 7950 video card in my Dell XPS M1710. When the first one went out about a year ago, it costs me about $400 for a rebuilt card. Paying $400 a year to replace a video card did not seem like a good option so yesterday I purchased a new laptop with a 4 year full warranty.

After I bought the new computer, which won't be shipped until May, I came across this thread on fixing video cards by putting them in the oven at 380 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. With nothing to lose, I removed the video card and the heat sink and followed the instructions. I heated the oven to 380 degrees, put the video card on top of aluminum foil ball on a cookie sheet, set the timer for 8 minutes, and waited.

I was working on my other computer when I decided that the beeper should be going off soon so walked over to the oven and to my surprise, the timer showed that I had 7 hours and 47 minutes left. Idiot me set the timer for 8 hours instead of 8 minutes. I pulled out the cookies . . . I mean video card and immediately transferred to a cooling surface (oven mitt glove). About 30 minutes later I reassembled everything and powered on.

VERDICT: Unbelievable! Video card fully functional and I've also proved that 13 minutes does not destroy the card. There is also great news in that I still have my original video card that I can cook when this fix stops working over time. Thanks to whoever posted this ingenious solution to a constant DELL issue (at least on the XPS M1710 for sure). Cheers.

Don't ask me how and why, but I did it exactly as described here and it worked. I friend of mine brought a HP Laser-jet P2015 from his job and he gave it to me to see if I could fix it. I hooked it up and the paper jam and toner signals were going haywire. Then the toner indicator shut off but the jam indicator stayed on, but no jam was to be found. So out of curiosity I checked here in Youtube and saw the bake procedure. So I did it... what the heck. Astounding! It just works.
    LOL

Update: No longer using either of my 8800s, the GTX kicked it again so I began using the GTS until my 5770HAWK arrived, which I'm now using. The other two will be on the shelf until such time as I find a use for them:) (can you say HTPC ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Problem is that it doesn't last, usually goes again after a month of usage.
    So still requires a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Tried this with my dead mp3 player
    It melted

:o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

FacepalmPrime.png

Problem is that it doesn't last, usually goes again after a month of usage.
    So still requires a replacement.

this is not the case...I have being doing this on the same card for a while now and have updated this thread as soon as the card does die. and if the card kept breaking down every month i would just buy a new one but I am getting almost exactly 3 months a go on baking this card. it's no bother to me to take the system apart as it doesn't take long to disasemble the system and card and i get 3 months of enjoyment from the fix and so far this card is going perfecto. fingers crossed though, no problems as to date so happy day's.

You can easily get 6-9 months out of a waining card(I lost track, but I got at least 6). If you take the money you would have spent on a replacement at that time, and use it after this time you're looking at a good chunk more for your money, if you dont need a performance boost urgently this technique is great, if not order a new one, simples.

the ****ing oven killed my 8800 gtx you ****ing asshole

fablejust 1 day ago
    Still get comments like this, but whaddya expect from youtube:rolleyes:

Yep, it was dead anyway so what had he to lose? Absolutely nothing.

You can easily get 6-9 months out of a waining card(I lost track, but I got at least 6). If you take the money you would have spent on a replacement at that time, and use it after this time you're looking at a good chunk more for your money, if you dont need a performance boost urgently this technique is great, if not order a new one, simples.

[quote:]the ****ing oven killed my 8800 gtx you ****ing asshole

fablejust 1 day ago

all that person had to do was follow instruction, zod knows what that person done lol.

OT but not thread worthy:
    The 5770(HAWK it turns out) with MSI cooler that replaced my 8800GTX is idling in my rather cramped box at 40-45* and under load is getting up to high 60s. I have Afterburner monitoring temps(speccy doesnt see this card ;__; ) which allows me to monitor it from my G510 keyboards display.

I havent adjusted anything yet, but I'd be tempted to just for the sake of it, FPS are grand so far, though I havent been playing anything harsh on it. Before I do how hot do I wanna go, I know they can safely operate up to 95/100* but thats the upper limit, I assume its better not to be in spitting distance of that. The fan is on auto at the moment and I dont really care about noise, should I push it and how far do I go?

/rant

Update: When I try to manually set the fan I can adjust as I please but the readout remains at 34%???

OT but not thread worthy:
    The 5770(HAWK it turns out) with MSI cooler that replaced my 8800GTX is idling in my rather cramped box at 40-45* and under load is getting up to high 60s. I have Afterburner monitoring temps(speccy doesnt see this card ;__; ) which allows me to monitor it from my G510 keyboards display.

I havent adjusted anything yet, but I'd be tempted to just for the sake of it, FPS are grand so far, though I havent been playing anything harsh on it. Before I do how hot do I wanna go, I know they can safely operate up to 95/100* but thats the upper limit, I assume its better not to be in spitting distance of that. The fan is on auto at the moment and I dont really care about noise, should I push it and how far do I go?

/rant

Update: When I try to manually set the fan I can adjust as I please but the readout remains at 34%???

yeh the card temps can get very high ingame intensive but i'd take out the hoover and hoover the psu/cpu-fan and graphics card fan. if any dust is in there blocking the cool flow of air it will push temps right up. for proper cooling i always recommend hoovering out the inards of the pc at least once a month you wouldn't believe how much dust can get in in one month. thats my rant over with now. i'd leave the fan on auto though once it can disperse the heat clearly out of the box. auto should deal with any temp levels naturally.

ps lol anyone want to buy a dyson.

just joking.

sheeeeeeeeit as senator clay davis would say, the card went again when my niece was playing a game on it.

umm... it looks like the card is fading out in reliability after the amount of bake's.

looks like I will just have to bake it again and make some kind of extra heatsink to the processor.

will look into some homemade cooling setup that will fit it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

zenno wrote: »
    looks like I will just have to bake it again and make some kind of extra heatsink to the processor.

will look into some homemade cooling setup that will fit it. :mad:

Try a home made thermal paste while ur at it. Some clay like hair gel could work. Or tooth paste mixed with moisturiser to stop it drying out lol :pac:

• Advertisement

jme2010 wrote: »
    Try a home made thermal paste while ur at it. Some clay like hair gel could work. Or tooth paste mixed with moisturiser to stop it drying out lol :pac:

LOL, funny but that method will not work lol. well I baked it again and it's working theres not much space in this xps m1710 for a heatsink attachment but i'll have to come up with something soon or just keep baking this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

If you can get access to a heat gun,
    it might be worth giving it a blast for about 30 sec.
    I recently rescued a laptop graphics card using one.

Moon54 wrote: »
    If you can get access to a heat gun,
    it might be worth giving it a blast for about 30 sec.
    I recently rescued a laptop graphics card using one.

I did it with my XPS M1210, it lasted for 6 weeks and died again. This time round I left it on longer to see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Thread should be stickied - worked for me.

stripped card 8800 GTX as per instruction, oven 190c for 20 mins a side allowing card to cool before turning.
    I left card until completely cold (next day) before assembling again.

works perfect.

Thanks Zenno!!

KoNiT wrote: »
    Thread should be stickied - worked for me.

stripped card 8800 GTX as per instruction, oven 190c for 20 mins a side allowing card to cool before turning.
    I left card until completely cold (next day) before assembling again.

works perfect.

Thanks Zenno!!

dude I assume you didn't leave the card on 190c for 20 mins each side :confused: ? as the chips and other components would be fried. obviously that 20 mins you said is a typo. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

er.. yes I did actually! I did chicken out a bit as I did reduce the oven in the last few minutes! then maybe my oven isn't as hot as others! But at least the liquorice allsorts didn't fall out & it works fine.

I kept the temp a bit lower as I didn't want the solder to melt enough for the bits to fall out like this fella Hanzy

You could say I was lucky. but I did it with the opinion that the cards fecked anyway. .
    I also read about people having to put it back in the oven again - to me their card wasn't baked enough i.e. all fractures weren't fixed.

KoNiT wrote: »
    er.. yes I did actually! I did chicken out a bit as I did reduce the oven in the last few minutes! then maybe my oven isn't as hot as others! But at least the liquorice allsorts didn't fall out & it works fine.

I kept the temp a bit lower as I didn't want the solder to melt enough for the bits to fall out like this fella Hanzy

You could say I was lucky. but I did it with the opinion that the cards fecked anyway. .
    I also read about people having to put it back in the oven again - to me their card wasn't baked enough i.e. all fractures weren't fixed.

good stuff. at least it worked for you.

email.png

Makes it all worthwhile. That video took about 15 mins to film, cut and render. Great use of time IMO :)

well after the bake I done a few weeks ago all of a sudden the card was acting strange.

when I watched a video whether it be on youtube or a movie I have on the system, it worked fine when viewed in a minimized window but when I put it to full-screen it would slow down as if the video was playing at 15 frames per second (very slow). also connected to the external monitor it is the same.

it was a good baking course all the same :D and I got many months out of doing this so it was defo worth while. time to purchase a new card. :eek:

you can see the video on the graphics glitches below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

not too old a thread to bring up ..was sure I posted here last October. anyways

8800GTX bake date , 09/10/2010 , Failure Date after bake 11/06/2011

8 months ish. not bad.. was hoping for the year , Might bake again.

I will edit post if it starts working after Bake number 2.

Advertisement