Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacknight - Windows Shared Hosting (Minimus)

Options
  • 20-01-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

One of my clients has recently bought this, im used to setting up on their VPS systems, but has anyone used this before?

Trying to set up the automated install of joomla on the root of a webspace and it won't let me

The website root appeard to be in \inetpub\wwwroot\sitename

whereas the apps are mapped to a virtual directory in \appsfolder\appid

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Blacknight have a forum here on boards, ask them over there :)

I'm not actually sure that you can install the apps (using the automatic installation) to the root; certainly I recall encountering that problem when installing Wordpress on a site.

You might have to just do a manual install

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

mods / admins can you move this to the BN forum please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi

There are a couple of articles in our knowledgebase about this:
    https://support.blacknight.ie/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=262

Basically you won't be able to install the actual files into the root directory, but I *think* you can get it to serve the site's content as if they were.

If you install the script / CMS manually you won't have this issue

In any case, if you contact our technical support team they'll be able to give you more definitive answers

Michele

Hi Michele,

ive been onto them about it and they say you can't, i was hoping someone had found a workaround.

This poses a major concern for me as Joomla would be my main CMS for clients, and I was planning on purchasing a reseller hosting package from you but if i can't install any of you quick apps onto the root of a website (and also can't FTP directly into the Webapps folder due to security permissions)

The only way i can get files into joomla is by using the extplorer or the joomla media manager (not suitable as i had to upload over 500 images, i did find a workaround using compressed archives but again not really suitable if im continuisly making mass changes)

all other providers allow application installation to the root of webspaces and i simply cannot understand why you don't allow or haven't got it configured, i would have thought that this would have been a fairly requested thing.

I know you can do it in the linux package but linux isn't suitable for me as i will be creating dot.net applications as well.

Surely im not the only person who has experienced this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'll ask our CTO to look at this thread, but the Application Vault is provided by a 3rd party vendor, so we are reliant on what they let us configure.

Any auto-installer will have its strengths and weaknesses, so I'd always recommend that people install scripts manually if they have the skillset, as you'll have 100% control over the setup (within the constraints of a shared hosting environment)

Michele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Matt,

Currently in IIS hosting on 2003 and 2008 you can't install an application vault installed application into the root of any domain. This _will_ change in a couple of months.

It is possible to do on linux and to be honest Joomla etc work best on Linux. As a work around you may simply do a HTTP 301 or 302 redirect from your root to /$location/ where $location is where joomla is installed.

This can be done in php using the header() function or in asp etc.

We'll announce the change on our blog when it comes.

Paul

thanks for that, I always had an opinion though that 301 redirects (even though permanant) would have an effect on SEO, what are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Permanent redirects should not affect SEO at all. Because once google hits it, it'll forever return to the redirect location.

i.e. if www.blog.ie redirects to www.blog.ie/blog/ as a permanent redirect, google will just visit www.blog.ie/blog/ the next time and so on.

Paul

Advertisement