Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Exhibition at Tallaght Library

• 20-01-2010 11:56am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I completely forgot about this until last night.

We have a Booking at the Tallaght Library for an exhibition of prints from the 2009 Yearbook.

Not sure of the number that can be hung at this moment, but who would be interested in having their print hung in the Library for a couple of weeks?

The cost of Printing, Mounting & Framing would be up to the individual.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Count me in !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Agus mise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have mine Printed already, just neeed to get a frame.

The start date is the 15th February.

I've never printed or framed for an exhibition.
    Is there a particular size, mount, frame etc?
    Do all the frames need to be the same style, colour etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

is there anyway that someone could set a cost and get each individual to paypal it to an account or something? i'd love to have mine exhibited but ive never looked at printing , framing and the like before? what about the continuity of the frames and print sizes etc? shouldn't they all be the same...
    also if people where to pay a set fee then they could keep the printed image and frame etc when the exhibition is over

• Advertisement

From my understanding the image is yours to take away at the end, unless someone makes you an offer you can't refuse!

I think it should be up to individual regarding framing, size etc, subject of course to whatever size restrictions the library has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I would be interested in this, however I would be in the same boat as some of the others with printing and framing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i could possbly help and do a deal on a package for printing and mounting and framing if it helps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We could ask Steve - stcstc - to give us a standard cost for Print, Mount & Frame.

I would suggest that it would look good if all the Frames & Matt's were the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd be up for this as well as long as the cost isn't too crazy. The next couple of months are turning out to be very very tight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'd be up for it

stcstc wrote: »
    i could possbly help and do a deal on a package for printing and mounting and framing if it helps

I double posted with Steve there.

The Library have been on to me. We have 12 Boards available (double sided give 24) & from memory we could hang two prints per Board. That should be plenty.

The Exhibition would run for two weeks.

We would need the Framed Prints ready a week beforehand.

CabanSail wrote: »

I would suggest that it would look good if all the Frames & Matt's were the same.

TBH, unless they're a series by one photographer, I find that ever increasingly boring as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I'm in

I'd agree with you on this. Given the wide varied tastes on this forum then we could expect a variety of frames. I'd feel the empathsis of the exhibition should be the photos themselves so the mounting and display of them should be as simple and plain as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm very interested in this.

Is this for photos only from the Boards yearbook though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

swingking wrote: »
    I'm very interested in this.

Is this for photos only from the Boards yearbook though?

working from a bad memory on this, but yes, the intention was that it might serve to get some additional sales of the book so there would be an expectation that people would get to see at least some of what was in the book.

It was not originally intended to be like the exhibition held in the Dublin Camera Club last year (was it year before,,.... where does time go... :confused:) which was an exposition of the random works of genius's.

Whether there would be enough from the book that would want to go forward with an exhibition of their masterpiece or not is a different matter.

Possibly another exhibition later in the year...... maybe coincide with the ireland photography festival.... takers??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

im interested alright, keep me in the loop of whats happening with it

oops, and yes meeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooooooooo :)

• Advertisement

We have 12 Boards available (double sided give 24) & from memory we could hang two prints per Board. That should be plenty.
    We would need the Framed Prints ready a week beforehand.

Any idea of the maximum size of the frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

count me in! I've been meaning to get a print of it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

I've never printed or framed for an exhibition.
    Is there a particular size, mount, frame etc?
    Do all the frames need to be the same style, colour etc?

I used to do a lot of mounting work for the IPPA Masterpiece Awards...prints were normally high gloss paper,sizes were normally 16X12 or 14X11..mounted on 5mm foam board..they look great.

Check out this website and flick through he gallery!

http://www.photolabs.ie/Gallery.HTML

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

im in too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Me too pleeeeease :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Me too...

Maybe a quick poll on if the mounts/framing should all conform to a standard or if we can have a mix? Three and a half weeks is short enough if all have to be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

gandalf wrote: »
    I'd be up for this as well as long as the cost isn't too crazy. The next couple of months are turning out to be very very tight!

Ditto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Sounds good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

count me in too :)

regards framing etc., i too think a whole exhibition with the same mounting and framing doesn't work as well as a frame and mount chosen to compliment the individual artwork.

but on the other hand if it means the whole thing is easier to organise and co-ordinate and we can get a discount for bulk then to hell with it - forget what i just said... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

there are a few options

1, just let everyone do their own thing etc: pain to organize etc, bound to have problems (diff sizes colours, not hanging nicely together)

2. get all the same: easier to organize, will be cheaper - bulk discount, easier to hang together etc. downside limited creativity

3. i could offer say 3 diff frames - ie black, white and another, and say 2 or 3 diff mount colours. people could then order which combination they want. gives a little bit of option but still reasonably easy to organise and should still give a decent volume discount

hope this helps

if this is in 3 or so weeks, it kinda needs to be decided soon!!!, as doing 50 print, mount frames is a little bit of work, and iff stuff isnt instock etc

On the question of framing and mounting - personally I think simplicity and consistency works. Standard frame / mount.

Sure the frame and mount might appear dull (not discounting that they may be beautiful in their simplicity) but I would expect that a photographic exhibition should be about the photographic content and not confused by a variety of framing choices and differing mounts.

How workable this may be or not is a different question altogether.

I also agree with Steve's point about a variety of finishes, and print quality. Again consistency is critical (and again just imho).

trooney wrote: »
    Me too...

Maybe a quick poll on if the mounts/framing should all conform to a standard or if we can have a mix? Three and a half weeks is short enough if all have to be the same.

I already have mine mounted and framed. Don't want to have to do it again! Might be kind of nice to have different for a change anyways...

Edit: And i'm feckin broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Count me in. Although I've already printed and mounted, I think a uniform mounting would lead the viewer to appreciate the photographic image as against viewing them pictures in a dis-organised mess.

The alternative is to have the random sizes and colours of the frames co-ordinated, themed and stylised. This could look cool and funky, however it would depend on the images being presented for display fitting in with a possible theme. The problem with this would be some people might take offence if their image was omitted due to it not falling into this theme.

Then again if anybody wants to take on board designing of a theme and stylising the exhibition. I'm backing out of this one as it's definitely not my forte !

Actually I am stepping back from this, count me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

What is the time-line on this? Do we have time to mess around or would we be better going straight to Steve and getting the best price and his professional knowledge to come up with the best solution.
    The last time I popped in to see an exhibition in Tallaght library I was amazed at the amount of people who just pop in to have a look and this exhibition was not advertised, the librarian told me this is normal.

• Advertisement

Any idea of the maximum size of the frame?

So, back to my original question - max frame size if it's two prints per panel.

What I had in mind is the standard 16 x 20 mounts & frames.

If people already have them printed & mounted then that will be fine. If you particularly want a certain style, then it is your print.

Mine is Printed & Mounted in white Matt already, so I will get the same frame as the majority & use that.

What I had in mind is the standard 16 x 20 mounts & frames.

Forgive my stupidity - but is the print 16 x 20 or the finished mount 16 x 20? If it's the mount, what size is the print?

I think print size is less important - if mount size is the same that's fine... Mine's 12x8 and it looks well in the 16x20 mount.

Mine's 16 x 20 antique white matt too - with a plain black Ikea frame.

The Mount size is normally 16 x 20. Print size in that can be from about A4 size up to about A3. I have seen smaller prints in this size mount & sometimes they work others they don't.

The improtant thing is to not print too large for the resolution of the photo as this will lead to artifacts. Much better to have it smaller but of good quality.

• Advertisement

Forgive my stupidity - but is the print 16 x 20 or the finished mount 16 x 20? If it's the mount, what size is the print?

I've a couple of spare mounts. I'll pop some over to you when you have the print, if you like ;)

I've a couple of spare mounts. I'll pop some over to you when you have the print, if you like ;)

Cool!

I presume what you have is already cut to take a print? So what size should I print my pic to fit your mount?

Cool!

I presume what you have is already cut to take a print? So what size should I print my pic to fit your mount?

Uncut mounts, so print to a3/a4, and we'll take it from that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

is there anyway that someone could set a cost and get each individual to paypal it to an account or something? i'd love to have mine exhibited but ive never looked at printing , framing and the like before? what about the continuity of the frames and print sizes etc? shouldn't they all be the same...
    also if people where to pay a set fee then they could keep the printed image and frame etc when the exhibition is over
    +1

Uncut mounts, so print to a3/a4, and we'll take it from that !

Ok Buzz - have an A4'ish print done already. You around at the weekend?

Ok Buzz - have an A4'ish print done already. You around at the weekend?

Around all day tomorrow and possibly sunday. Give me a buzz when your out of bed. Then again your up too feckin early, and I need a lie in :D Giz a buzz when your organised and we'll get the mount done.

Around all day tomorrow and possibly sunday. Give me a buzz when your out of bed. Then again your up too feckin early, and I need a lie in :D Giz a buzz when your organised and we'll get the mount done.

It's giving fog/frost in the morning so will be up for crack of dawn. Then gotta go to Ashbourne and teach a chap how to shoot. Should be home by 3'ish and will give you a ring then if that's ok?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ooooh yep. Me in too.

I'll be doing my own print, mount and frame. It's easypeezylemonsqueezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Do you have a date when this exhibition will from? I'd love to drop in for a look.

Feb 15th for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement