Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router

• 20-01-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone suggest the best router to use with a 3mb broadband ??????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you just want a regular router for wireless, nothing fancy, then Netopia, Netgear or Linksys.

You can check with your ISP, sometimes they'll give you a router when you subscribe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dsl/cable/wireless/something else..
    What do you want the router to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

i have at present a netopia router which i got from eircom when i had a 1mb broadband i have switched providers and now have 3mb broadband but when my daughter is playing the PS3 on-line everyone elses internet freezes and if i try to download anything the PS3 starts glitching ???, i'm thinking that maybe the router is configured for 1mb broadband ??? but i could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

The Netopia should do you fine, I would imagine its just poor interent service. Have you done speedtest to see what speeds you are getting? Never had issuses with BT 3 meg package while surfing and playing xbox live.

Is you service freezing all the time or just in the evenings?

Who is your provider?

my provider is imagine, and it only freezes or glitches if the PS3 is in-line at the same time as anyone else

• Advertisement

The router is many times faster than the internet connection so that's not the problem.

Test your speed here http://www.speedtest.net/ Just click on the yellow star or Begin test.
    Then click Copy forum link and paste it in your next post, like so:

688561675.png

Also try this when the PS3 is on.

It could be the setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did all of these work together when you had eircom 1Mbps? If it did, then I'd suggest your line may not be able to handle 3Mbps. You may need to drop the speed back.

If you never tried it before, or the glitches and cut outs are the reason you changed provider and speed, then it could be a router problem, or a more serious problem with your line and it wasn't even able to handle 1Mbps properly.

i'll try that later and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Netopia's are pretty good routers though they may only connect at a maximum speed of 7.6Mb/s.
    The connection type by default is "On Demand". This means the router will log onto the net when you prompt it to by opening your browser, but then if there is no traffic for approximately 100 seconds, it will go into a "standby" mode and log off.
    You try to navigate to another web page, the router attempts to log on, meanwhile, your browser may time out and display "cannot find server" or "cannot display web page".
    To remedy this, check on the Eircom website under support for changing the modem to an "Always On" connection.
    This is within the "Connection Configuration" page once you have entered 192.168.1.254 to access your router.

If the issue persists once you have done this, you may need to check for things like SKY TV being unfiltered or hardwired to a phone socket, an unfiltered phone socket in use or an unfiltered monitored house alarm.

Broadband is a secondary service on your phone line, If you are having problems, try disconnecting all other telephonic products as a process of elimination.
    Your ISP should be advising you of this.

Good Luck ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Magnus wrote: »
    The router is many times faster than the internet connection so that's not the problem.

Test your speed here http://www.speedtest.net/ Just click on the yellow star or Begin test.
    Then click Copy forum link and paste it in your next post, like so:

688561675.png

Also try this when the PS3 is on.

It could be the setup.

Hi Magnus,

Sorry to say but your connection does not look correct at all.
    Try getting the ADSL sync rates from your router and check with your ISP

• Advertisement

It could be because I'm on VPN currently. Will look into after work, thanks.

Edit
    Apres work:

688872969.png
    8348032.png

Looks standard tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

,,,, or it could be the Limerick server which gives me much worse connection than any other choice ....... ?

Advertisement