Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks to LuckyLloyd

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

BuffyBot wrote:
    Structure and procedure is necessary in any organisation this complex, and on the whole it neither stints the majority of discussion this site, nor puts a rigid structure upon them. For the most part it works
    Lilly livered drivel IMO.
    Obviously it doesn't work; One of the most valued contributors to the site has been unceremoniously dismissed for something that was in fact a clever and creative piece of modding. The wagons have been circled and we can all either like it or lump it.
    This site can continue on current path to becoming a dismal bureaucratic bastion of newspseak or it can remember that it is actually a community of people. If that is still a decision that DeVore can make then now is the time for him to make it, if it isn't then its too late already and this place will never be the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,285 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd agree that Lloyd has been a good mod and more importantly an excellent contributor to the many forums he frequents on boards.

I have to be honest though, I thought LL's account had been hacked or something. It was not just what happened in the soccer forum but in another forum that I frequent that led me to think this. In all fairness he should never have did what he did in the soccer forum, while it might be funny to some of us, it was disrespecting soccer forum members. He has two choices, close the thread or leave it. He went thread spoiling which is against the rules of that forum and imo deserves to be removed as a mod from that forum for those actions, otherwise you are saying its one rule for mods and another for everybody else. I don't understand though why he was removed as mod of the poker forum. Thats just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Its really quite funny when we stop people for posting market research or silly staking threads where we feel like the poster is taking us for a ride, and yet hundreds of people on here give up their time for free to control a forum which they will never get any social or financial gain from, and EVEN when you do that, the powers that benefit from it completely take it for granted and no one changes.

Lloyd, in a way you are quite lucky that you are freed from all of this as its pure hassle in my opinion, and you are simply creating or at least helping to create an end product for someone else.

I think that all of the moderators should "blue-flu" not resign as such but sit back and just see what happens, perhaps then the Admins would be more appreciative of the countless hours you spend for their benefit for FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

Jaysus spent the last half hour catching up on this. wtf is all i can think to type. Heavy handed punishment for...for...what im not even sure lol.

overreaction.jpg

and

humor-watchdog.gif

and

hsc0751l.jpg

spring to mind

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks Lloyd. You did an excellent job. Something I can't say for the admins yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Poker forum toys out of the pram IMO, but, c'est la vie.

It's a pity this keeps happening, the forum is excellent and you're a big contrbutor to that Kayroo, as was Lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jayminato

WTF. Just spent last 30 minutes catching up on this.

Seriously Lloyd move on. You aint even getting paid for taking on this hassle.
    You know yourself, as does the huge majority of posters that you are a stand up guy so fk it. It aint worth the energy.

They did nt like your way of modding and from what I can see it may have been over a number of incidents so its their loss.

Poor form

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are two sides to both stories. I know, I'm stuck between them.

I guess I'm going to be the bad guy again.

There were people who didnt think things through when they reacted hastily. Some were admins, some were mods. Some said things they shouldnt have, and some did things they shouldnt have. Lloyd trolled a forum he mods, and when asked not to do that he told us he saw nothing wrong with it and we should "do as we saw fit". As a result Lloyd was demodded 20 hours later. In my personal opinion, Lloyd was wrong and we were too fast to demod him.

Unfortunately while we could back and forth this all day, things have gone too far most likely and its unlikely the lads will return. I've spoken with all of them after the dust of the hack cleared but things have moved on. Theres no ill will and you'll see me pop up over there too. Perhaps having different styles and approaches in two different places will turn out to be good.

Personally, I'm still on good terms with everyone (I hope!) and wish the lads well.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

DeVore wrote: »
    Perhaps having different styles and approaches in two different places will turn out to be good.

Personally, I'm still on good terms with everyone (I hope!) and wish the lads well.

DeV.

Tom, When yoU say different approches do you mean that this forum is gonna be moderated similar to soccer, it was a nightmare earlier in the year when the cmods were in here after the whole BBV debacle, they just were totally un willing to show any kind of sense and just dished out bans and infraction. If that is what you mean then you should probably delete the whole forum.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, there is nothing particularly wrong with the moderation of the forum as it is, I dont see any reason to change it. This whole thing arose over an incident on the soccer forum.

We're working to replace the moderators who have left with people from the poker community who know the way this place works.

Many thanks to the lads who stayed to ensure a smooth transfer of mods, as a result there shouldnt be a repeat of that whole sorry debacle.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

I've been away from the internet for a couple of weeks (due to being too busy and indeed feeling a bit ill), and I've come back to find this upheaveal.
    From what i've read so far, it does seem like the demodding of LL was way over the top. I cant say i know LLoyd very well, but I have met him on several occassions and he seems to be a top bloke. Ive played cards with LLoyd on many occassions, and I've always enjoyed my time on the tables with him (even though we was a nightmare opponnent).I've approached LLoyd at some tournaments to discuss some problem hands I had come accross because I think LLoyd is 1 of the best tournament stratagy posters on boards, and many the good and helpfull discussion I've had with him. I also have to say that i enjoyed his type of modding and i have to say his loss to boards.ie will be huge, and thats why i cant understand how this all came about. It surely cant be all down to that soccer forum post?

I can only speak from my experience on the poker forum because I dont frequent the other forums on boards.ie, and I'd just like to thank LL for all his invaluable imput down through the years.

Connie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Tom, When yoU say different approches do you mean that this forum is gonna be moderated similar to soccer, it was a nightmare earlier in the year when the cmods were in here after the whole BBV debacle, they just were totally un willing to show any kind of sense and just dished out bans and infraction. If that is what you mean then you should probably delete the whole forum.

Richie, as one of the CMods involved in picking out the new mods I can assure you that we're going to find people who know the game and know this forum. We won't be installing just anybody. Also, we asked Ste, Kev and 5starpool to stay on for a little while until we had some mods in place, exactly because we don't particularly want to be modding this forum :) We don't know the userbase, I certainly don't know the game at all either!! Don't forget, lafortezza and phantom_lord are still modding away here too so it's not all changed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Richie, as one of the CMods involved in picking out the new mods I can assure you that we're going to find people who know the game and know this forum. We won't be installing just anybody. Also, we asked Ste, Kev and 5starpool to stay on for a little while until we had some mods in place, exactly because we don't particularly want to be modding this forum :) We don't know the userbase, I certainly don't know the game at all either!! Don't forget, lafortezza and phantom_lord are still modding away here too so it's not all changed :)
    There is absolutley no way in hell you will find any decent Poker forum poster willing to be a mod after all this messing. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

eoghan104 wrote: »
    There is absolutley no way in hell you will find any decent Poker forum poster willing to be a mod after all this messing. Fact.

They may unban DBC and give him the job

eoghan104 wrote: »

I'd say that's more opinion than fact but time will tell eoghan :)

As for DBC, funnily enough I did suggest him in the Poker Mods forum and Ste05 said that given the number of accounts he had he may actually be able to fill all the available mod positions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I'd say that's more opinion than fact but time will tell eoghan :)

As for DBC, funnily enough I did suggest him in the Poker Mods forum and Ste05 said that given the number of accounts he had he may actually be able to fill all the available mod positions :D

It's not going to be easy for you to appoint mods, because it will be hard to know which posters will continue to post here, and who will move their posting to IPB.

For me, and many others, we'll follow the traffic. Boards was a community, and that spirit is now broken but it is in full flow on IPB. The BBV is like a forum in itself, and it's almost dead on boards. Peoples comments/question/quirks etc aren't getting viewed here so it actually feels like a waste of time. There's still a lot of good posters here, and many will post on both sides, but it will be hard for many of us to pull ourselves up and post here with any real conviction after the recent episode.

As for modding, i'd like to make a suggestion.

General Poker - Laf will do a good job. If he needs a doss day, any of the below can fill in.
    Hand History, theory and Omaha/variants - Give phantom_lord mod control over these.
    Online section - i'd appoint someone like donkathon/72over who still post here and spend a lot of time in that section.
    Real life section - bigbadpat would revel in this
    Rules - bp_me and span post a lot here and would be able to control it.

Flushdraw wrote: »
    As for modding, i'd like to make a suggestion.

Thanks FD, we're working with laforetezza to come up with some names as well. Hopefully we'll have people in place soon. :)

Advertisement