Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core i5/Core i7 Build?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:18pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Haylo, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU, Mobo and RAM from my current setup.

Debating whether to get a Core i5 750, or a Core i7 860. Any opinions? Or should I jump into an i7 920? My budget is about 500 euro at the moment though, 4GB DDR3 will do for now (for the 1156 boards, anyway)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Depends what you plan on doing with this new setup? There isnt a much difference between the Core i5 750 and the Core i7 860 except the latter has a slightly higher clock speed, has hyperthreading enabled and is significantly more expensive. The Core I5-750 overclocks very well so if you don't have any apps that can take advantage of hyper threading then you would be much better off with a i5-750.

The I7-920 is a different story altogether. Enthusiast level processor and all that jazz. For 500euro you could get the i7-920, a decent m/b and 3x1GB DDR3 (I havent looked into it in detail but I think 3x2GB DDR3 might push you over 500).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mostly gaming, some photoshopping as well as some DVD ripping. jack of all trades :pac:

the i5 750 certainly looks more attractive for nearly any reason I think of. I dont think the i7 920 is worth the money for what you get, thats why im humming and hawing about it.

Yeah I'd say you would be better off with a I5-750. I have it myself and its great. It can handle everything I throw at it.

There is a good few I7-920 owners here so they may try and lure you to the darkside....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah I'd say you would be better off with a I5-750. I have it myself and its great. It can handle everything I throw at it.

There is a good few I7-920 owners here so they may try and lure you to the darkside....

may i ask what you throw at it? and what else is in your system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

may i ask what you throw at it? and what else is in your system?

HT is usually not used by a lot of programs,for example my rig (which is a little slower than an i5 750) will eat ANYTHING I throw at it.I do alot of RAW photo conversions and video editing/conversion/encoding ( a bit less)

The i5 would be perfect for you,if this is what your doing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I'm the same, went for the i5 for the small saving. still have yet to get the CPU above 50%. so im starting to try for more and more.......

The biggest demand on my system would be games and the odd video conversions but I also do a lot of mutlitasking with my dual screen monitors. The main components of my set up are:

CPU - Intel i5-750
    M/B - MSI GD80
    RAM - Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 2x2GB
    GPU - nVidia GTX280
    PSU - Corsair HX850w

folan wrote: »
    I'm the same, went for the i5 for the small saving. still have yet to get the CPU above 50%. so im starting to try for more and more.......

thats exactly what i want to hear. I'm an avid overclocker too, so I may as well get it and see what that baby could do

thats exactly what i want to hear. I'm an avid overclocker too, so I may as well get it and see what that baby could do

They seem to hit 4GHz (Picking up where P45 left off) with no real problems.Good cooling is important though,as I'm sure you know

yar. there was an interesting article on Toms Hardware regarding oc'ing the 750. 3.2ghz seems to be the sweetspot, but I'll push for more :pac:

thanks for all your input, its clear my intuition of a Core i5 is the right choice :cool:

• Advertisement

yar. there was an interesting article on Toms Hardware regarding oc'ing the 750. 3.2ghz seems to be the sweetspot, but I'll push for more :pac:

thanks for all your input, its clear my intuition of a Core i5 is the right choice :cool:

I find that Toms ain't the best sometimes.3.2 is gonna be VERY easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Take what "Toms" says with a drum of salt imo.3.2ghz for a 750 is nothing.Lots of people reach 4ghz and some even with stock or close to stock vcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

game4it70 wrote: »
    Take what "Toms" says with a drum of salt imo.3.2ghz for a 750 is nothing.Lots of people reach 4ghz and some even with stock or close to stock vcore.

lol I bloomin' hate Toms!

3.8 seems to be the average on Air.

Anand - 3.5Ghz stock cooler, 4.2Ghz TR MUX120
    Hexus - 3.8Ghz conservatively with MUX120, only slight over-volt
    Guru3d - 3.8Ghz with MUX 120 also.

Toms - 3.2Ghz?? Fail.

I reckon if you really tweaked it, you could get to 4.2Ghz on air just like Anand, unless you have a dodgy board or CPU.

lol I bloomin' hate Toms!

3.8 seems to be the average on Air.

Anand - 3.5Ghz stock cooler, 4.2Ghz TR MUX120
    Hexus - 3.8Ghz conservatively with MUX120, only slight over-volt
    Guru3d - 3.8Ghz with MUX 120 also.

Toms - 3.2Ghz?? Fail.

I reckon if you really tweaked it, you could get to 4.2Ghz on air just like Anand, unless you have a dodgy board or CPU.

sorry i didnt explain it properly. 3.2ghz was optimal performance to watt ratio.

sorry i didnt explain it properly. 3.2ghz was optimal performance to watt ratio.

Fair enough. But really, who cares? lol Its raw power you want, if overclocking, you probably aren't thinking about the electricity bill anyway...:p

Fair enough. But really, who cares? lol Its raw power you want, if overclocking, you probably aren't thinking about the electricity bill anyway...:p

i am, young one.

i am, young one.

Well then you shouldn't be overclocking a high powered PC.

And careful who you're calling young, I pay the bills also. :p

just an update. decided to get an i7 860. seems to be the best value for money :D

should be getting it 2moro. woooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Good luck with the build and dont forget to read plenty of guides on OC'ing it before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

just an update. decided to get an i7 860. seems to be the best value for money :D

should be getting it 2moro. woooo

gl dude :pac:

what mobo you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Trick with those Toms power usage tests: If you're really worried about efficiency then work out how much faster your CPU can go with Turbo Boost at max compared to stock speed, OC and overvolt to get the max speed desired stable, then subtract the difference to get the speed you'll leave it on as the "everyday OC" and leave Turbo Boost switched on (unlike most OCs where you just OC the stones off it and leave TB off). Best of both worlds! ;)

got a gigabyte p55 ud5, cant go wrong with gigabyte :pac:

Advertisement