Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power to shed

• 20-01-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a couple of questions please regarding a shed.

Currently, I have a SWA cable coming from near my pond into the house which I use to switch the filter & pump, fountain and lights on/off from the house.

I've put up a metal shed now and would like to bring power from the house out to the shed and to a consumer unit which would then control the pond.

Ideally, I would like to use one main cable from the house to the shed, and then from the shed I would like to power a socket and light in the shed and put the lights/pump & fountain / fountain on timers.

Questions:

- I'm presuming I should use a waterproof consumer unit like this. (Can I get bigger ones?)
    - I'm presuming I'll need to add an additional MCB in the consumer unit in the house (will 32A be enough)
    - Will I need timers (example) for each? I think the example will allow me to run say the pond pump and fountain on one timer and then use two more to individually control the fountain and lights?)
    - Would you advise using one MCB for all the pond stuff or should I use a triple pole MCB for it?

What exactly should I look for in a main switch fuse for the shed? Presumably this should be 20A (or will I need more than this considering the load).

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

a 3*6 supply anyway,32amp mcb at house .a main switch will do at shed .
    i'm a bit confused about the pumps ? a 'fountain pump' and lights will need a timer and photocell and a 4-core cable to pond,fed from an rcbo preferably.
    is there 1 more pump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

you sure the pump just does not need a socket,the pump in my pond is just a plug in job with filter etc,easy install just needs outdoor socket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

davelerave wrote: »
    a 3*6 supply anyway,32amp mcb at house .a main switch will do at shed .
    i'm a bit confused about the pumps ? a 'fountain pump' and lights will need a timer and photocell and a 4-core cable to pond,fed from an rcbo preferably.
    is there 1 more pump?

Thanks Dave, I currently have a 7 core SWA cable running from the house so would intend to terminate this in the shed instead of bringing it into the house.

The pond has:
    1. lights
    2. underwater pump and filter
    3. fountain with integrated pump

I want each of 1-3 to be controlled separately, with the (1) lights coming on at night, the (2) pump and filter coming on for 3/4 hours each day and to have the (3) fountain on only when I'm out in the garden (I'm happy to switch this on manually).

I currently have an external waterproof box near the pond which houses all of the connections between the house and the pond equipment and have directly wired all equipment to the 7 core cable here and switch from the house.

I have some 5*6 SWA cable which I'm intending to run from the house to the consumer unit in the shed - for the shed, and also for two sets of garden lights which I will want to switch from the house.

Thanks for the help - have a much better idea now.. Think I was going a bit overkill on all the RCBOs in the shed for individual pond equipment!

you sure the pump just does not need a socket,the pump in my pond is just a plug in job with filter etc,easy install just needs outdoor socket!

Yes, it originally came with this, but I have wired all equipment separately now directly into the house so that I can switch it all independently from the house.. (lights on, pump/filter off etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

You'll be using 3 switch wire's +N +E then.
    1 rcbo in shed should do the lot(unless you need additional 3amp fuses?)
    I would fit a 4-pole isolator at pond to switch everything off.

Using the 5*6 complicates things.Better to run a separate cable out from house for garden lights if possible or switch them from shed.

Another 10amp 'rcbo' for the garden lights as well

Get a sparkie out anyhow for safety

• Advertisement

My intention was to draw the cables etc required and to get some advice on the components required before calling the electrician in - the consumer unit wasn't something I would have liked to tackle.. usually mad for those things but this one I think I'll leave alone!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

better to consult before laying cables

Advertisement