Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collar for cat

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi, I've 3 cats who all go outdoors. I am constantly buying them collars as they keep losing them - I know this is probably a good thing as it means that they have been getting stuck and the collars have snapped off as they're supposed to, but I keep having to replace them and get new name tags made with my phone number on.

I'm looking for recommendations for collars that are good quality and snap off, but don't get lost within a week. I've looked at these
    http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/personalised-cat-collars.htm
    and they seem good in that they have the phone number incorporated into the collar itself but if anyone has any better suggestions I would love to hear them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You could get ones with elastic instead of the plastic snap-off buckle but elastic can only stretch so much.
    I wonder what your cats are doing that they are getting their collars caught so much. Are the collars definitely tight enough? You should be able to fit 2 fingers under it but not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siobhan.m

Magenta wrote: »
    You could get ones with elastic instead of the plastic snap-off buckle but elastic can only stretch so much.
    I wonder what your cats are doing that they are getting their collars caught so much. Are the collars definitely tight enough? You should be able to fit 2 fingers under it but not more.

At the moment they have the elastic ones but I'm a bit wary of them for long term use. I don't know what they do, they are on tight enough I think, but maybe not - they have each lost 3 in the last 12 months. Although one of the male cats did come home with a sparkly pink one a week after losing his own collar - we didn't ask questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I have two indoor cats who keep managing to get out of their collars when they play fight with each other, maybe this is what is happening? Luckily I usually find them under the bed or something so I don't have to buy new ones!

Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

coolcatcollars.co.uk

got mine last week, two good collars and 2 tags for 25 euro. Which was good cuz some stores wanted me to pay 40 for the same but not as good quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I had the same problem with the safety buckles, cost me a fortune as at the time I also had infra red tags on them. My male cat lost so many he was left collarless for a fair bit and figured out how to open the cat flap from the outside by hooking his claw in!

At the moment they're all wearing elasticated ones from the 2 Euro shop and they've had them a fair while now. They can still get out of them, as they've lost those too in the past.

I got a really good deal on Ebay for tags, it was 5 Euro for 4, engraved front and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Blueprint wrote: »
    I got a really good deal on Ebay for tags, it was 5 Euro for 4, engraved front and back.

Really? Whats the sellers name?

Really? Whats the sellers name?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/4-X-25MM-PET-DISC-ID-TAG-16MM-SECURING-RING-CAT-DOG_W0QQitemZ220387650965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Cats?hash=item335020ad95

They've been wearing them for months and they're still in good nick and no one's lost one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

thats really good value for the engraved discs. i usually pay nearly 13 quid every time my guy looses his collar. i find the plastic clasp pretty useless tbh. had to go back to the metal clasp with good quality strechy elastic. i found the cheaper ones did not strech very much so that worried me. my main issue though is to have a luminous strip on it for when he ventures out. i havnt found one with a good strip so for now i cut a strip from a high viz jacket and sewed it the lenght of the collar. not as jazzy as his previous ones but hopefully he's a bit safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siobhan.m

Blueprint wrote: »

Thanks, that's really helpful - I figured out they cost me €100 in collars/tags alone last year so at least I can cut down on the costs of the tags! Thanks again for your help.

€100 yikes!

I never add up these things, ignorance is bliss so they say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I ended up picking up a luminous elastic one with a metal clasp from Tesco (probably £4 or so) and it's lasted the past year and a bit that we've had our cat. She wanders about all over the garden and has had "disagreements" with other cats (and the occasional squirrel) and I've never known her to get caught or lose it.
    We did try a plastic snap-clasp one first but she hated it. Either it was the right tightness and she bunched her neck muscles up to force it off or it was too loose and she used her paw to pull it off. Couldn't get it right at all!

Advertisement