Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon EC2 & S3 Service

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I'm in the process of looking for a reliable Cloud hosting parter for a traditional LAMP stack, and have been shocked at the prices being quoted, approx €10k per annum to get up and running. I need something local.

A friend told me about Amazon's EC2 (and that they're in Ireland) and if my calculations are correct we're talking hundreds, not thousands per annum to have the same thing available. They appear to have flat rate and "on demand" service rates, which is great when you have only a marginal idea of the levels of traffic you can expect initially.

So here's the my questions:
    1. Has anyone used it/them before?
    2. What was your required setup?
    3. What sort of money did you end up paying?
    4. Was it difficult to manage (server management) and deploy?
    5. Was it easy for you to scale?
    6. Would you recommend this approach?

One of my concerns with the "on demand" approach is that if your web applications became a target for DDoS attacks then surely that would have a significant impact on system resources required and your payment counter would go crazy, clocking up all sorts of figures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cloudberryman

Hey,

EC2 is not a traditional hosting platform. The main advantages of the EC2 are

1.you can easily scale up/ down according to your needs.
    2.you pay per hour.

this allows you for instance to run a resource intensive calculation / processing for a couple of hours on thousands of machines and then shut them down when it is finished.

I don't think EC2 is a good fit for traditional web hosting.

As for management Amazon provides the online Management Console that helps you with all aspects of EC2 setup.

Thanks
    Andy

Advertisement