Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

01 Golf 1.4 Engine Light

• 20-01-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

My parents have the above car and the engine management light is on, anybody got a clue what would be the cause as I'm not up on VW cars, I've told them to get it checked by as father's are, he knows everything, but told him to get it checked anyway, some clues to the general causes would be greatly appreciated.

N

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I had one on a SEAT Ibiza before (same engine management system as the Polo's and Golf's). Turned out to be a faulty oxygen sensor. So it could be something really simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

yes could be anything from faulty carburrettor to a faulty sensor somewhere in the car . Usually need to plug it into a laptop to diagnose problem, if there is no change in the cars performance then chances are its something simple . have experienced it three time s with three different cars , 1st needed engine oil topped and that cured it second was and audi and a sensor was the problem third was an astra where one of the coils had failed .But you will need to plug the car in to the diagnostic thing to find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

OP, Have you noticed and perfomance issues, or increased fuel consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I had this come on my 1.4 golf last year, I took it to 3 different places and got 3 different solutions. VW dealer said it was the coolant temp sensor, the light went off for a day, a local guy said it was the O2 sensor, that got if off for about 2 weeks and a buddy of mine replaced the catalytic converter which done the trick. I hope it turns out to be easier for you than it was for me. I can advise against going to a VW dealer because unless your car is under 2 years old they don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

had a 03 seat leon 1.4 a few years ago that had faulty coils on 2 seperate occasions causing the engine management light to come on with a slight loss in power. cost about €60 each time as far as I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Having only driven the car a couple of times I wouldn't be in a position to notice any performance issues, she's a lovely drive, very comfortable and quite nippy when required.

Advertisement