Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Bin Charges For Greystones

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

I am looking at the new bin charges for this year to see who provides the best service for the best price.

For the moment I have got some prices for the following:

Eurowaste
    Greenstar
    Access Waste
    OZO.

If you know of another provider please let me know. I'll post up the costs later...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Think that's it. Looking to change bin provider after how Greenstar handled the cold spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

I use Allied Waste. Bin tags are 10 euro for black bin and 5 euro for green.excellent service

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

We switched from Green Star to Eurowaste in December at a savings of about 100 euro for the year for comparable service. Only downside is they don't do glass recycling, but we don't generate too much so we can handle that ourselves.

Green Star did make a comment about the others being cheaper only because they are not required to pay some regulatory fee that only Green Star must pay, presumably because it was the incumbent supplier in the market. They said the others would have to increase charges later when they too become required to pay the fee after some undetermined period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

With Allied Waste for a couple of years and find them great. You are in control because you only have to buy a tag when you want one. So no lump sum to hand out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

This is the list of bin costs from discussing it by phone with them or taking it from the providers website.

Eurowaste and Ozo seem to have the better pricing. I suppose you need to see what you are using yourself and apply it to each provider to see what the best option is.

Enjoy...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

We have been looking at our bin charges as Greenstar have left us a little annoyed following the recent cold spell. The figures below have been gathered following calls and emails and hopefully will help some of the other folks on here from Charlesland.

Greenstar - 23 lifts of 140L waste bin, 23 lifts of 240L recycling bin - €237 pa
    Eurowaste - 24 lifts of 240L waste bin, 53 lifts of 240L recycling bin - €225 pa
    Access - 26 lifts of 120L waste bin, 26 lifts of 240L recycling bin - €155 pa
    Access - 26 lifts of 240L waste bin, 26 lifts of 240L recycling bin - €264 pa
    Allied - Waiting for feedback on charges
    OZO - not contacted

Also following a call to Greenstar we were told that if you query your recent bill then you may be entitled to a €50 discount.

I hope this helps now the bin charges are coming round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Got my bill from Greenstar. We didnt realise and had 13 collections instead of 12 and they now basically fined us 40 euro for one extra collection and stuck us up to band 3 for this year at 257. Errr what happened to band 2? Must be 12.1 to 12.9 pick ups. Grrrrrrrrr.

Time for some phonerage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Got my bill from Greenstar. We didnt realise and had 13 collections instead of 12 and they now basically fined us 40 euro for one extra collection and stuck us up to band 3 for this year at 257. Errr what happened to band 2? Must be 12.1 to 12.9 pick ups. Grrrrrrrrr.

Time for some phonerage!
    I had the same, well 27 instead of 26. They will be dumped themselves at the end of this month.

I had the same, well 27 instead of 26. They will be dumped themselves at the end of this month.

After being cut off twice on the phone, they're having phone problems, i explained to them that 12 pick ups at 219 means each collection was 18.25 a time. So basically im being fined 40 for one extra. Ive said that they can either charge me the 18.25 for the extra collection and get 197 for next year or they can have the 40 and i will move companies. Im currently waiting for a call back from them.

Does anyone know when, or if, they picked up the bottles in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Greenstar tried exactly the same thing with us. They also used the one extra lift as an excuse to raise the banding to generate extra revenue. When we challenged this on the phone they offered us 50 euro off the bill!

Needless to say we are moving to another vendor as that is plain underhanded in the current climate.

As for the bottles, I have been redundant since September and I haven't seen, or heard the bottle collection round here. In fact we haven't had our bottle lift in the 2 years we have been here!

• Advertisement

ciaran67 wrote: »
    After being cut off twice on the phone, they're having phone problems, i explained to them that 12 pick ups at 219 means each collection was 18.25 a time. So basically im being fined 40 for one extra. Ive said that they can either charge me the 18.25 for the extra collection and get 197 for next year or they can have the 40 and i will move companies. Im currently waiting for a call back from them.

Does anyone know when, or if, they picked up the bottles in December?
    Had a phone call with them yesterday and it was very confusing. The woman i spoke to couldn't offer me much information about my account and the little bit i got sent my head spinning. At one stage she said i owed Greenstar €153 but said in the same breath that there is a €60 refund in the post. Couldn't get any sense from the call so told her to post all the info to me.

If Greenstar have messed up its of to OZO for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smellytinker

What happens if I want to move from Greenstar but have already had one collection in the new billing period, will I be stuck paying the total Band 1 (1-6 bin presentations) charge of €219 before I can move? :mad:

What happens if I want to move from Greenstar but have already had one collection in the new billing period, will I be stuck paying the total Band 1 (1-6 bin presentations) charge of €219 before I can move? :mad:

Its madness. They've chucked me into Band 3 based on last years 1-6 6-12 13-18 banding system which they have now revised. I also found a letter from November where they've offered two free xmas present pick ups. I was just onto them again, cos they never bothered to ring me back yesterday, and asked about the 2 freebees that i never used. Its non transferable apparently. So some people paid for 12 and possibly got 14 and didnt get penalized for it. Im staggered at their complete incompetence! I really want to stay with them cos they do the bottle pick ups but ive not seen that since November, it looks like a brewery yard in my garden at the moment. They are going to ring me back later apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Muro123

I've also switched from Greenstar since January. They don't recycle all plastics and they charged considerably more than OZO. Getting 13 collections for €165 pa. Much better value!

They let us off the 40 we owed them. :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Greenstar's new pay as you go service; €7.50 per 140 litre bin.
    Should cost you less than €100 per year if you recycle separately in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

What are the cheapest refuse charges now? My bill from greenstar is 260 for band 1 (max 13 lifts) although I only had 9. 30 Euro a lift is a bit excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

conlof wrote: »
    What are the cheapest refuse charges now? My bill from greenstar is 260 for band 1 (max 13 lifts) although I only had 9. 30 Euro a lift is a bit excessive.
    I switched from Greenstar to OZO 3 years ago. At the time OZO were about €100 cheaper. This was for 26 lifts of the bigger bin. This year I down sized to 140 litre bin and the cost is €18 per month (26 lifts a yr) + 26 recyle lifts.
    Saw add for Thortons in local paper. Initial charge €50 + €10 a lift. This might be attractive if you have very few collections. For 26 lifts this would be €310 a yr. (It doesn't say if its for the smaller bin 140 litre or the larger one))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

vinpaul wrote: »
    Saw add for Thortons in local paper. Initial charge €50 + €10 a lift. This might be attractive if you have very few collections. For 26 lifts this would be €310 a yr. (It doesn't say if its for the smaller bin 140 litre or the larger one))

Thorntons pay per lift is based on a 240litre bin. They don't take glass, but do take regular recycleables. Yuo must have enough credit in your a/c prior to the lift - you can top up over the phone, or online. If you top-up online you get an additional 3% discount. I've no association with Thorntons, but i have just switched from greenstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

also switched to thornton- the reclycable collections being included swung it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Switched from Greenstar to OZO last year due to high prices, failed pickups and 8am Saturday morning pickups!

OZO are superb, they take everything, are prompt and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Also switched to Thorntons, 140l waste bin is €5 per lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Thorntons are charging 8.50 a lift with recyclables free and 4.50 for the brown bin ( I won't be using the brown bin I reckon) there is also a 50 euro service charge. They don't do glass but based on last years usage the waste charge will be around 130 euro. Roughly half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

You can always ask Greenstar for a reduction in their annual charge - threaten to leave them and sign up with Thornton's or OZO.

As they are in receivership and facing an uncertain future, they might be amenable to that.

RTE reported the following last Tuesday
    Staff at the Greenstar waste recycling company, which was put into receivership five months ago, have been told that the receiver may have found a potential buyer for it provided wages are cut significantly.
    Greenstar, which is part of the NTR group, employed about 800 people and collected waste from over 80,000 households and 12,000 businesses a year.
    It is one of the largest waste management companies in the country, handling one million tonnes of waste each year.
    Last August David Carson of Deloitte was appointed receiver as the firm had debts of around €83 million, owed mainly to its banks.
    Since then, he has been operating the company as a going concern with a view to selling it.
    A spokesperson for Deloitte declined to comment on suggestions that a sale could be imminent.
    However sources confirmed that a number of parties had expressed interest in Greenstar since the appointment of the receiver.
    However, they said no one was willing to contemplate a deal on the basis of the current cost structure, which was described as "a major obstacle to a sale".

Switched from Greenstar to OZO last year due to high prices, failed pickups and 8am Saturday morning pickups!

OZO are superb, they take everything, are prompt and friendly.

Do they take glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

conlof wrote: »
    Thorntons are charging 8.50 a lift with recyclables free and 4.50 for the brown bin ( I won't be using the brown bin I reckon) there is also a 50 euro service charge. They don't do glass but based on last years usage the waste charge will be around 130 euro. Roughly half price.

Just changed from direct debit to pay per lift with thorntons and it's a tenner a lift.

DD9090 wrote: »
    Do they take glass?

Yes free glass bin and pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

its worth calling greenstar especially if they move you to the higher band. We had 14 lifts in 2012 moving us from band 1 to band 2. As a result, we had to pay an extra 80e for 2012 and then we were in the higher band for 2013. I rang and complained saying it amounted to an extra 160e for one extra lift and that I was moving to Ozo. They called back to say that they would only charge 12 for the extra lift and keep us in band 1.

I think given their current situation, they will hold on to existing business as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

We just moved house and have signed up to OZO. We paid 180 for the year. That is for 26 recycling lifts and 26 small (140l) refuse lifts. We could have taken a glass bin for an extra 20 but decided against it. They are very nice to deal with and the collection is nice and early in the morning mid week.

• Advertisement

calfmuscle wrote: »
    We just moved house and have signed up to OZO. We paid 180 for the year. That is for 26 recycling lifts and 26 small (140l) refuse lifts. We could have taken a glass bin for an extra 20 but decided against it. They are very nice to deal with and the collection is nice and early in the morning mid week.

Glass is free... Well we don't pay it anyway ;)

Advertisement