Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat - Door Sensor

• 20-01-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey Everyone,

Since the cold snap I've had a problem with the door sensor light on the dashboard of my VW Passat 02 (at least I think its a door sensor)

Basically heres the gist of it-
    Normally when you open any door in the car the light comes on the dashboard to say a door is open (also the internal lights also switch on)

The problem is - when all doors & boot are closed this light remains on and in turn all the internal lights remain on.

VW_dashboard_door_light.jpg
    It appears to be a problem with the driver door, as the foot light on this door never switches off, even when properly closed & locked

Its a headache, because with the lights on it drains the battery on me, so the only way to disable it is to remove the fuse.

Any suggestions what it could be?

(P.S - It will be going to a garage for its service but not for another month or two - no dosh to bring it before then :()

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

as far as I know, it's part of the door latch and not sold seperately. it may be a faulty latch.

It could just be that the latch needs lubrication, look at where the door lock contacts the striker (the bolt sticking out of the body pillar) with the door open, see that the mechanism moves all the way back easily and fully releases when you pull the door handle.

compare with one of your working doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

colm_mcm wrote: »
    as far as I know, it's part of the door latch and not sold seperately. it may be a faulty latch.

It could just be that the latch needs lubrication, look at where the door lock contacts the striker (the bolt sticking out of the body pillar) with the door open, see that the mechanism moves all the way back easily and fully releases when you pull the door handle.

compare with one of your working doors.

Cheers Colm,
    I read that somewhere alright that it may be part of the actual latch. wasn't too sure though.
    The actual catch/mechanism on the door does seem a bit stiff and doesnt fully retract when the handle is pulled/released.

I tried lubricant, but probaly at the wrong time when it was cold.
    Will give it another go

Thanks for that.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I've also seen broken wires between the door and the pillar to cause this.
    Might be worth checking as it would be cheaper than a door lock.

It's usually the other way around though, i.e It wouldn't recognise the door being open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I'm having a similiar problem with my 03 Passat, excepts it's the opposite. The car doesn't detect when the drivers door is opened so no light comes on. Works fine for the other doors. Plus it's a danger because when you open the car with the remote, if after 30 seconds the car doesn't detect any doors open , it locks the car itself. So it can be really easy to get your key's locked in :( The door locks and unlocks fine, I think the electric window regulator might be on it's way out on that door again so I might wait till it's gone before taking the panel off. Anyone know if it's a simple fix ?

Advertisement