Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square foot gardening

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

I came across the idea of square foot gardening recently. It would suit me perfectly as my garden is a little bit small for growing any type of vegetables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening

I was wondering do any of ye have any advice with this approach. Any pitfalls / advice or any other comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its really just fairly intensive raised bed gardening. Sounds like a good idea, though things that require a frame to grow up - runner beans for example - would not fit into a one foot square, you would need a 2x2 ft space at least, but he does allow for that. The idea of making beds no wider than you can reach is very practical, and an approx. 3ft wide and any length bed works well, you don't have to get too hung up on the square foot business.

Advertisement