Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Incomplete) Site Review

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

http://www.nmurphydesign.com/clients/noname1.htm

No links work as yet as client has yet to give two thumbs up on final design.

Thanks

PS - Main image (of cottage door) is just filler for now.

PPS - Client wants purple and pink in site design.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not bad at all!

A few points/questions, though :

How big is the background image whitesofa.jpg, and what happens when it's viewed at a higher resolution ?

Aside from that issue, I'd try to find an image whose colours picked up from the core purple/magenta within the site.

Also, the main image at the top has a white bar either side in Google Chrome.

Finally, I'd make the "hover" effect on the background of the nav bar the full size of the nav bar, and I'd probably increase the font size and line spacing in order to make it easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Thanks Liam.

Ive actually never used Chrome - only FF and IE so Ill go and grab a copy today. Is the bug quite bad in it?

Whitesofa is about 1600 in width so I think it should be fine. I myself am viewing it here on a widescreen laptop in HD and it comes up perfect.

Any tips on how to get the whole line height to change colour ona hover?! My brain is fried from all the work and study ive done over past few days and cant recall!!! :D

Thanks.

Actually re: that white band on either side of main image:

If I set the image to take up its proper width (so it scrolls across the page and sits perfectly) the MENU seems to add a 5px bar to its right for some reason. So I had to either set it so that the menu ha da big 5px gap or that the image has a 1px gap on either side that most people wouldnt see.

Any tips on this?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

silverwex wrote: »
    Whitesofa is about 1600 in width so I think it should be fine. I myself am viewing it here on a widescreen laptop in HD and it comes up perfect.

On 1680x1024 here (as many people could well be) and there's a 40px white area at both sides, which kills the effect.

It's also 247K - almost quarter of a meg!

These two points are why most backgrounds are smaller images set up suitably so that they tile.
    silverwex wrote: »
    Any tips on how to get the whole line height to change colour ona hover?! My brain is fried from all the work and study ive done over past few days and cant recall!!! :D
    .nav li a {
       display:block;
       float:left;
       padding:14px; // or another suitable amount;
       margin-top:-10px // or a suitable amount in order to line them up
    }

Thanks all done.

One FINAL thing, in IE theres a space between right hand side of menu and edge of container and its frustrating the hell out of me!!! :D

Fix this and the design is done! Thanks.

• Advertisement

I know what it is. Once I resize the mainimage width to 828 rather than 830 IE displays it correctly. It seems to be pushing the borders out in IE but in FF its fine.

Maybe if I set it as a background image...?

Advertisement